Blu-ray Audio Surround Disc of the Year for 2014

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true indeed! That Lieberman doesn't squeeze much onto that disc like TYA, GG etc.. but oh the mix and the music and the sound.. I guess they could have bunged it all on a DVD or whatever but they didn't so it gets my vote! More QQ folk should hear it for sure.. I did invite the chap from the record company here but he never came by so sod him! :D

One of the problems is the limited distribution sites...I had to get it from acoustic sounds...which is usually not one of my "go to" sites...

Really tough to narrow down to one but based my decision on what album got most playing time which was "Songs from the Big Chair".
XTC-Drums and Wires would have been second choice and 3rd Gentle Giant or Yes Album.

peter

One of the problems is the limited distribution sites...I had to get it from acoustic sounds...which is usually not one of my "go to" sites...

Wonderful disc but I don't have a great deal of sympathy.. Did they ever visit this place or contact Jon as I suggested? We'll never know but I hazard a guess they didn't and if they had something could have been done to bolster their sales and consumer awareness, if not distribution, would/could have been improved.. Let's face it, it couldn't have got much worse!

The Lori Lieberman Blu-ray should win an award for the Best Surround Music Blu-ray title nobody knew about or could buy...!!! :mad:@:

On a related tangent, there's an artist over at the SHF who posted there the other day, with a question concerning releasing their music in Dolby Atmos form.. who I also advised to drop by here.. I hope they've checked QQ out and are gaining something from this place.

When you pass on info with a good heart to someone in these kinds of situations, to the effect that there's a site out there dedicated to surround music, run by a good guy, with thousands of members who could help you out and you don't do anything about it, well my bottom line is : do you want to survive or thrive?

Wonderful disc but I don't have a great deal of sympathy.. Did they ever visit this place or contact Jon as I suggested? We'll never know but I hazard a guess they didn't and if they had something could have been done to bolster their sales and consumer awareness, if not distribution, would/could have been improved.. Let's face it, it couldn't have got much worse!

The Lori Lieberman Blu-ray should win an award for the Best Surround Music Blu-ray title nobody knew about or could buy...!!! :mad:@:

On a related tangent, there's an artist over at the SHF who posted there the other day, with a question concerning releasing their music in Dolby Atmos form.. who I also advised to drop by here.. I hope they've checked QQ out and are gaining something from this place.

When you pass on info with a good heart to someone in these kinds of situations, to the effect that there's a site out there dedicated to surround music, run by a good guy, with thousands of members who could help you out and you don't do anything about it, well my bottom line is : do you want to survive or thrive?
I'm glad I grabbed my copy when I did (which was soon after Adam mentioned it) for a reasonable price. For a 2014 release its amazing that this title is basically out of print already!
Across all the Amazons there is only one copy listed for 80 Euros :yikes
http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/9538

I'm glad I grabbed my copy when I did (which was soon after Adam mentioned it) for a reasonable price. For a 2014 release its amazing that this title is basically out of print already!
Across all the Amazons there is only one copy listed for 80 Euros :yikes
http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/9538

So let me get this straight..

This Blu-ray sold out with (or in spite of):

- NO Promotion,
- NO Critical appraisal,
- NO Distribution,
- NO Big name artist,
- NO Steven Wilson-Factor,
- NO-Body involved in its production associated with sites such as this one/SHF, etc..???

...and yet we're fed that same old line = nobody wants surround music!...

..unless the label only pressed up 500 copies or something?
In which case, it sold out so make some more!
(Or am I over-simplifying the situation? I'm just a consumer after all).

This is a hard choice because many of these are re-releases of older albums (even if they are the first time in surround), and the old burn-out factor comes into play with many titles.

If I had to pick my favorite music disc, the disc I play the most, it would be "Hypnotic Eye". It's a great album, really rocks at times, and it's new. Unfortunately, the surround mix is less than stellar. :(

As for surround, the "Legend" really stands out from the pack to me (I have not heard them all), and "Songs from the Big Chair" is no slouch either. But, if I was going for surround excellence and looking for a demo that would really grab a non-surround type, it would have to be "Legend", and I am not the biggest Marley fan.

Nice poll. I kept loyal to Andy Jackson and my vote went to TDB. Had I based my vote on how many times I played the record, it should have gone to TER, followed in the distance by GG and Legend.

So let me get this straight..

This Blu-ray sold out with (or in spite of):

- NO Promotion,
- NO Critical appraisal,
- NO Distribution,
- NO Big name artist,
- NO Steven Wilson-Factor,
- NO-Body involved in its production associated with sites such as this one/SHF, etc..???

...and yet we're fed that same old line = nobody wants surround music!...

..unless the label only pressed up 500 copies or something?
In which case, it sold out so make some more!
(Or am I over-simplifying the situation? I'm just a consumer after all).

...or was it due to Fredblue Marketing Ltd.! :) ..................we all bought it after you found it after all, demand commission!

Even being new to surround music discs I found this a tough choice. I have nearly half of these and most of those I have are now favorites to play. Had to go with Legend; the sound is outstanding and the slideshow is a big plus. I probably know this music better and longer than any of the others, so maybe that played a role IDK.

There was much to admire this year. Legend, TFF, Bryan Adams. XTC, Gentle Giant and yes even Beyonce!

Purely from a quantity of content/ mix perspective, it's a toss-up between XTC & Gentle Giant. Legend & Beyonce were out of left field surprises and TFF & Bryan Adams made the 80's less painful.

For me, however, The Yes Album was tops. An album that I fell in love on vinyl played on my Garrard turntable with 2 crappy speakers purchased at Wainrights in Flushing, Queens back in 1969 came roaring back to me with fury! This is not a decision based on wave forms or sampling rates but simply because I loved it!

One of my favourite bands remixed by one of my favourite musicians of the last fifteen years.
Plus a veritable embarrassment of riches as bonuses.

Drums and Wires it is then.

My favourites from 2014 were all albums that I hadn't heard before and heard for the first time in 5.1 - Mando Diao 'Aelita', Opeth 'Pale Communion' and Pink Floyd 'The Division Bell'. I agree with Jon about the burn-out factor - the Yes remixes are stellar by any measure, but it's just not a well I find myself going to nearly as much as some of the others I've mentioned.

Honourable mention to Bob Marley 'Legend' for really breathing life in to a lot of music that was really tired to my ears. This compilation was so commonplace when I was growing up you'd swear that possessing a copy was a mandatory part of high school enrollment. The only downside to this one is the couple of upmixed tracks and the inclusion of the studio version of 'No Woman No Cry' - intellectually I understand the reasons (missing master tapes or whatever) but every time I hear it I can't help but think 'I wish this was the live version'.

Don't get too smug, you buy everything! Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. ;)

Back