Bryan Ferry's "Frantic" DVD-A arrived!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BiggerzBetter

Almost spritzed myself when the mail came today! After a month, the DVD-A of Bryan Ferry's new "Frantic" album finally reached my door from the German Amazon website. I don't really understand the delay; my orders from the England Amazon site usually arrive in less than two weeks. Sure am glad the wait's over.

Of course, the album hasn't been released in the U.S., and I certainly don't think it will appear simultaneously in CD, SACD, and DVD-A here as it did in Germany. Record companies probably think Americans are too dumb and would be confused by multiple releases.

The disc offers a multi-channel Advanced Resolution mix (88.2/24), a stereo mix, and a somewhat lengthy text biography of Bryan Ferry. Everything's in English, which would kind of piss me off if I were German. The disc comes in a regular CD-sized "Super Jewel Case." That means that you still get the rounded corners of the Super Jewel Box, but that the dimensions are simply that of regular CD jewel boxes. There aren't any details about the DVD-A mixing anywhere that I could find (not even on the disc).

I've listened to it twice already and love it. I think I'll work up a short review and post it in that section.

Now if only we could get a DVD-A release of some of Ferry's former albums! Then I really would spritz myself! :D

Glad to hear it! If this doesn't show up here in the US, I'll probably email Music Direct to see If they plan on carrying it. They've been very good at getting the overseas dvd-a releases in the past.

Interesting note on the case. When the Dvd Forum adopted the oversize Super Jewel case for dvd audio discs, Phillips tried to get Sony and others releasing sacd's to adopt the smaller Super Jewel case as a standard. Sony wanted to use their own design, regular cd case with cardboard slipcover (now using plastic slipcover on mc titles). EMI/Virgin and Telarc (and I'm sure there are others) are using the smaller cases on sacd's, but it's interesting that EMI/Virgin is also using them on overseas released dvd-a's. Their stateside releases are in the oversize case.

Release notes for this title have been added to the Bryan Ferry thread under the DVD-A Software section of the forum.

Back