Buddy Rich SQ Encoded LaserDisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone with an SM - try this YouTube video audio and see if the YouTube audio data reduction adversely affects SQ decoding.

IIRC, in Video mag ~30 years ago, Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs stated in an article that the then new VideoCD audio codec (MPEG-1 using joint stereo coding) could carry Dolby Surround encoding with minimal disruption to the surround effect.

Kirk Bayne

Before anyone gets confused about MPEG numbers, I'll remind people that MP3 is actually MPEG-1 Layer 3. Video CD usually uses MPEG-1 Layer 2, aka MP2, the same codec as DAB digital radio originally used (before DAB+ introduced AAC) and the codec still used for well over half of all DAB in the UK including all BBC channels. At sufficient bit rate (which kicks in between 160 to 192kbps) MP2 is capable of very good audio quality, better than FM. But on DAB in the UK the bit rates are mostly 128kbps or lower. Video CD was meant to use 224kbps which should have sounded excellent, but encoders weren't as good 30 years ago as they are now. Today no-one would use Joint Stereo above 160kbps, BBC Radio 3 doesn't for example which broadcasts at either 160 or 192kbps depending on other channels needs.

Anyone with an SM - try this YouTube video audio and see if the YouTube audio data reduction adversely affects SQ decoding.

IIRC, in Video mag ~30 years ago, Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs stated in an article that the then new VideoCD audio codec (MPEG-1 using joint stereo coding) could carry Dolby Surround encoding with minimal disruption to the surround effect.

Kirk Bayne
DL'ed from YT & played back with my SMv2. Mediainfo says this about the file:

1696465401550.png

The video & audio is pretty poor. But based on the balanced volume between front & rear it seems balanced. Most non-SQ stuff played through an SQ decoder requires a strong shift to the rear to bring some level up. This sounds quite balanced at normal settings. The crowd applause comes mostly out of the rear chs. Listening to only the rears I hear a lot of decent separation between L/R and some direct sounds.

I have not listened to it again to try to match instrument positions with the earlier illustrations. I will check again. Mainly I was blown away by the selection of songs, arrangement, & big band power. There are no sleepy Martini moments in this. Even Norwegian Wood is a locomotive. I love this album and have purchased a "like new" LD on Ebay. If I can get my Pioneer DVL-700 to play one more disc & capture, this will be it.

Last edited:
Back