Buffy Sainte-Marie Illuminations Japanese Quad LP 1971

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard A

I just purchased what appears to be the only copy of the Japanese Quad LP of Buffy Sainte-Marie's Illuminations that has ever sold on Discogs. Will be listening to and reporting back!
20240205_095714.jpg

I just purchased what appears to be the only copy of the Japanese Quad LP of Buffy Sainte-Marie's Illuminations that has ever sold on Discogs. Will be listening to and reporting back! View attachment 101104
Congrats! looks like it's RM/QS encoded? what method will you be decoding it with?

Was it also released as a QR in USA?

All vinyl editions outside of Japan were not encoded. The only Quad version outside of Japan was a discrete four channel reel to reel tape issued in the US in 1969 by Vanguard.
I remembered correctly... good to know that my brain cells still works sometimes. :)

I pulled out my Quad reel and gave it a listen. Excellent sound quality even though my copy had rather crinkly looking edges. Purchased used over five years ago, I think that I only played it once or twice before. looks like I was the one who added it to the Discogs data base as well. I have always found Vanguard reels to be excellent sounding.

Performance wise it is a bit variable described by some of the tags given ethereal, experimental, the rest is fantastic! "Better To Find Out For Yourself" would be my favourite track, surround wise it is front oriented until near the end with some wild panning effects across the back. Most tracks are very immersive. Now where is the poll? In fact I don't see any Buffy polls at all!

Reactions: GOS
Back