Cal Trader-La Onda Va Bien SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaclam

I just wanted to say that this is an excellent sounding multichannel release. It's Latin jazz and it was appearently a big thing back in 1980. Won a grammy, too. I've never heard of this artist or have anything like this in my high-res collection. Anybody else know about this title or have it?

Seaclam said:
I just wanted to say that this is an excellent sounding multichannel release. It's Latin jazz and it was appearently a big thing back in 1980. Won a grammy, too. I've never heard of this artist or have anything like this in my high-res collection. Anybody else know about this title or have it?
I have an direct-to-disc audiophile Cal Tjader LP and another SACD (stereo-only) of a concert done in Aspen in 1968. The SACD is "Latin+Jazz = Cal Tjader Quintet". The LP is "Cal Tjader - Huracan". Both are very well recorded and worth trying to find.

Tjader is actually Swedish descent, born in St. Louis in 1925. He played with the Lionel Hampton Band. Hamp was a jazz master of the xylophone. Tjader also played with Dave Brubeck.

I just bought the La Onda Va Bien SACD so am looking forward to hearing how the multichannel is done, whether mostly ambience or instrument localizations. I'll probably listen to the disc this weekend.

If you like the Latin sound, he really mixes the xylophone with the rhythms well. Great find!!!

Thanks for your post, since I had not seen/read about this SACD and looked for it and as luck would have it found it today at a local Media Play.

Last edited:
ss9001 said:
I have an direct-to-disc audiophile Cal Tjader LP and another SACD (stereo-only) of a concert done in Aspen in 1968. The SACD is "Latin+Jazz = Cal Tjader Quintet". The LP is "Cal Tjader - Huracan". Both are very well recorded and worth trying to find.

Tjader is actually Swedish descent, born in St. Louis in 1925. He played with the Lionel Hampton Band. Hamp was a jazz master of the xylophone. Tjader also played with Dave Brubeck.

I just bought the La Onda Va Bien SACD so am looking forward to hearing how the multichannel is done, whether mostly ambience or instrument localizations. I'll probably listen to the disc this weekend.

If you like the Latin sound, he really mixes the xylophone with the rhythms well. Great find!!!

Thanks for your post, since I had not seen/read about this SACD and looked for it and as luck would have it found it today at a local Media Play.

If you like Cal Tjader, there's also one of his albums on Stereo SACD from Audio Fidelity. Remastered by Steve Hoffman, it's worth a listen - especially given the low $15.98 list price !

Listening to disc now....very nice mix. I'm using 7.1 to diffuse the rear sound a bit.

This recording is more mellow songs than the other 2 recordings I have of his. But wait, one is now on that's cooking. All Right....

hey this is a great sounding disc,I guess the all DSD mixing helps.
almost a quad mix, the center channel is almost never used, and the backs are as important as the fronts.
a good choice when you Brazilan model girl friend comes over

Hi,
With guidance of the manager of a local audio specialty store here in the Toronto area called L'Atellier Grigorian I've picked up the subject disc as well as several others from the Concord Jazz family. Dosen't hurt that their hybrids as well

Where are y'all finding this music. I don't think it's Best Buy?

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi,
With guidance of the manager of a local audio specialty store here in the Toronto area called L'Atellier Grigorian I've picked up the subject disc as well as several others from the Concord Jazz family. Dosen't hurt that their hybrids as well

Where are y'all finding this music. I don't think it's Best Buy?

Peter m.

The Concord Jazz SACDs have gotten pretty wide distribution. In addition to Tower Records and Best Buy, you can also find them in this area at Fry's and Borders, among others.

in Western Canada you can find them at A&B sound. I guess they would also sell them online as well. In Canada online A&B site is much cheaper than the Amazon/HMV site with almost as many titles.

Back