Captain & Me DVD-A or CD-4/Q8, Which Mix Do You Prefer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You Prefer the DVD-A OR CD-4/Q4/Q8 Mix?

• Total voters

Quad Linda

Staff member
Doobie Brothers' The Captain and Me is a classic Quad album that was reissued and remixed for DVD-A. Which mix do you prefer?

Both mixes are good, albeit different. Although it's close, I prefer the old Quad mix.

l_the-doobie-brothers-signed-the-captain-and-me-album-5911.jpg

51Ev0K-cgSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The ultra clean fidelity of the DVDA does it for me, all the way! The new 5.1 mix is very nice too.

The DVDA could be accused of being a little dead-sounding in places, not quite as warm and analogue as the old quad and the background a little "too silent" but maybe that's being used to the hissy/noisy original!?

The DVDA could also do with a slight bass boost.. conversely the Doobie quads all have a bit too much bass, for me.

Also, not complaining as such, as its lovely to have it conveniently on a DVDR.. but the CD-4 transfer I've heard, while sounding nice in the main (and nice & discrete) suffers from too much speed-fluctuation type "wobble" that it hampers it a bit for me.

.....the CD-4 transfer I've heard, while sounding nice in the main (and nice & discrete) suffers from too much speed-fluctuation type "wobble" that it hampers it a bit for me.
Do you think it's the record or maybe a funky turntable that caused that? I never noticed a problem with the quad reel.

note: I slightly changed the thread title on my post.

Do you think it's the record or maybe a funky turntable that caused that? I never noticed a problem with the quad reel.

note: I slightly changed the thread title on my post.

oh yes, cupboy, you're quite right, it's down to a poorly set up T/T.. still I prefer the ultra-buffed up DVDA (or Jap SACD! Well-spotted!) :D

The ultra clean fidelity of the DVDA does it for me, all the way! The new 5.1 mix is very nice too.

The DVDA could be accused of being a little dead-sounding in places, not quite as warm and analogue as the old quad and the background a little "too silent" but maybe that's being used to the hissy/noisy original!?

The DVDA could also do with a slight bass boost.. conversely the Doobie quads all have a bit too much bass, for me.

Also, not complaining as such, as its lovely to have it conveniently on a DVDR.. but the CD-4 transfer I've heard, while sounding nice in the main (and nice & discrete) suffers from too much speed-fluctuation type "wobble" that it hampers it a bit for me.

Have you heard the R2R Quad version by Romanotrax? Personally I think this is by far the best of the Quads, and a long way ahead of the CD-4 version sonically.
I know what you mean about the fidelity on the DVDA 5.1 mix though - not surprising really as it's an ES mix.

Hmmmm - I need to add the Romanotrax quad version to my list....

I too thought that the 5.1 is a bit "light" in the bass... I love the Elliot mix though....

Back