Cart/Stylus selection

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canned Swank

Hi David here, long time lurker... The new member intro didn't work - so an intro first

I have a fully restored QRX 7000
50's era D & R idler turntable without plinth - see photo sample
Dual transcription arms 9" and 12" GE Baton - see photo sample
plans to build multi layer slate plinth - see photo sample
no plans for CD-4
I have the Japan RM Pink Floyd DSOTM mint - the motivation
speakers TBD.. - recommendations ?

so the question is what would be the optimal cartridge/Stylus set up for the Quad's probably in the 12' arm?

side note - I plan on building 2 turntables, couple parts shy of building 3 actually.. see if ebay treats me well

the photos D R turntable.jpgGE Tonearm.jpgSlate Plinth.jpg are not my photos, but the equipment is the same

Hi David here, long time lurker... The new member intro didn't work - so an intro first

I have a fully restored QRX 7000
50's era D & R idler turntable without plinth - see photo sample
Dual transcription arms 9" and 12" GE Baton - see photo sample
plans to build multi layer slate plinth - see photo sample
no plans for CD-4
I have the Japan RM Pink Floyd DSOTM mint - the motivation
speakers TBD.. - recommendations ?

so the question is what would be the optimal cartridge/Stylus set up for the Quad's probably in the 12' arm?

side note - I plan on building 2 turntables, couple parts shy of building 3 actually.. see if ebay treats me well

the photosView attachment 98105View attachment 98106View attachment 98107 are not my photos, but the equipment is the same

want to add.. the tone arm is made for old VRX GE style cartridges for 78's but you can fit modern carts

If you are not doing CD-4, any good stereo cartridge that will work with those tables will work for matrix quad records.

Doug

Phono cartridges are as subjectively different as are speakers. They each have their own sound. For years I was devoted to the Grado
F-1+ cartridge nothing else seemed to be as good. Before that I owned several Shure's. Then I discovered moving coil cartridges; I had a Sony that not only sounded great but also worked better on CD-4 than anything that I had tried previously.

I now have another moving coil Audio-Technica AT-ART9XA that sounds even better and works great on CD-4. I know that you don't require CD-4 performance (and don't want to spend 2K) but would suggest looking at Audio-Technica AFAIK they still have a full line of cartridges. My friend has a few turntables and he keeps fitting them with the bottom line Audio-Technica and is very happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-VM95C-Moving-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B07JL2RTBX
One possibility - I recommend at least an elliptical stylus (or maybe a Shibata stylus if you have a lot of worn LPs).

Kirk Bayne
I intend to set up the 12'' arm with a premium cart/stylus for M/NM quads for sure.. and regular M/NM records if they also play well.. and a more durable cart/stylus (or not as epensive anyway) for the 9'' arm for the rest... but most of my albums are VG+ or better. I would set up one of my whatever belt drives for lesser records. I have about 2000 M/NM records which is what I collect. 5000 VG records and another 5000 records VG- or less which I keep mostly for investment.. years ago I bought out a record store and scored tons of great music.. even have about 500 bad records but the covers are good.

Phono cartridges are as subjectively different as are speakers. They each have their own sound. For years I was devoted to the Grado
F-1+ cartridge nothing else seemed to be as good. Before that I owned several Shure's. Then I discovered moving coil cartridges; I had a Sony that not only sounded great but also worked better on CD-4 than anything that I had tried previously.

I now have another moving coil Audio-Technica AT-ART9XA that sounds even better and works great on CD-4. I know that you don't require CD-4 performance (and don't want to spend 2K) but would suggest looking at Audio-Technica AFAIK they still have a full line of cartridges. My friend has a few turntables and he keeps fitting them with the bottom line Audio-Technica and is very happy.
The one key thing to know about the GE Baton arms.. they can be set with any tracking weight.. but the shell has a lot of mass.. by conventional standards the arm is heavy I think .. this might cause problems with a stylus that is expecting a light responsive arm .. that is my thinking anyway.

https://pspatialaudio.com/CD-4 wear.htm
Damaged LPs may be salvageable - one benefit of the Shibata stylus is that it contacts a little of the upper half of the record groove, thereby playing the previously unplayed (& undamaged) part of the record groove (this works with mono, stereo, matrix quad and CD-4 LPs and 45s).

Kirk Bayne

Latest posts

Back