Cartridge for SQ and CD-4 Decoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam77aus

Hi,
I was wondering if any of you have an opinion as to which phono
cartridge works best for decoding SQ encoded vinyl.
(currently using an Audio Technica 440ML)

Thanks
Sam

sam77aus said:
Hi,
I was wondering if any of you have an opinion as to which phono
cartridge works best for decoding SQ encoded vinyl.
(currently using an Audio Technica 440ML)

Thanks
Sam
Hello Sam.

It has been said, here I think, that the AT 440ML has diminished phase coherence at the higher frequencias and decoding is worse because of that.

proufo said:
Hello Sam.

It has been said, here I think, that the AT 440ML has diminished phase coherence at the higher frequencias and decoding is worse because of that.

Yes, I thought that might be the case.
So far I've been unsatisfied with the results after decoding a few
SQ encoded albums, they just didn't sound right to me somehow.
Anyone know of a better cartridge for SQ?

Thanks Sam

Lucanu said:
I own a Grado Prestige Black, and it sound very very good with Qs, so it could be goof for Sq. Now, it's been sad that for CD-4 Lps I do need a shibata cartridge. The Grado as an enormous bandwidth, going from 10Hz to 50.000 Hz. Is it possible to use it with cd-4 lps?

From what I understand it should work well with CD-4 Lps since they use a
high frequency carrier signal which contains the front to back separation difference.

Sam

Lucanu said:
I own a Grado Prestige Black, and it sound very very good with Qs, so it could be goof for Sq. Now, it's been sad that for CD-4 Lps I do need a shibata cartridge. The Grado as an enormous bandwidth, going from 10Hz to 50.000 Hz. Is it possible to use it with cd-4 lps?
The wide bandwidth of the Grado carts will provide good CD-4 playback .... the debate is whether or not the eliptical stylus, in time, will be harmfull to the subcarrier frequencies within the record grooves.

Don't know about that, but I read an article on the web talking about the cartridges/styli used for cd-4 playback. It said that a normal conical/elliptical styli won't get higher frequencies (except for the Grado, I say). Another reason was the load impedance that a shibata cartridge has. Normally for best cd-4 playback you'll need a 100K Ohms impedance, but for the record, it's not an issue.

I've used a Grado Prestige Blue for both SQ decoding and for CD-4, and it worked fine for both. They are excellent carts. Currently, since that turntable needs service, I'm using the Ed Saunders Shibata CD-4 cartridge for both SQ and CD-4, and it works real well too for both.

I have been using a Pickering XUV/4500-Q for CD-4/QS/SQ as well as plain jane stereo decoding and it works very well. The frequency response is: 10 to 50,000 Hz. The channel separation is: 1 kHz 35 dB nominal - 30 kHz 25 dB nominal. The stylus type is: Quadrahedral. Today I did a "GOOGLE" search for Pickering and came up blank. However, several electronics dealers advertised replacement styli as a very limited item leading me to suspect perhaps Pickering is out of business or at least out of the stylus business.

Last edited:
phydo said:
However, several electronics dealers advertised replacement styli as a very limited item leading me to suspect perhaps Pickering is out of business or at least out of the stylus business.

That's a shame, I think that's the same brand of phono cartridge Tab
uses for matrixed recordings.
Anyway I've got a Grado Prestige Blue now and it seems to work better
than the AT 440ML when decoding matrixed audio.

Samuel

I use a Shure V-15 Type IV and it works great for SQ, QS and even CD-4 (even though it is not a shibata stylis). It has no trouble picking up the carrier frequency on CD-4 records. Actually, I use two turntables and both have V-15 Type IVs on them.

How can a cartridge have a frequency response of - say, 50 or 60 kHz - and STILL not be suitable for CD-4? I thought the point of e.g. the Shibata was that its radii was so small it could get into the small grooves. Ellipticals was not. I mean, what would be the difference of a CD-4 groove and a normal stereo LP engraved with music signals reaching 50 kHz? Please enlighten me!
I was just checking at Acoustic Sounds and their cartridge comparision chart http://store.acousticsounds.com/PDF/cartridge_comparison.pdf.
They stock several cartridges with line contact styli that one could believe were suitable for CD-4 playback.
Seems all the Koetsus have "quadrahedron" styli. No frequency response mentioned though, but prices between $1.600 and 15.000 IS mentioned...
Lyras ($749 - 5.500) have micro ridge or line contact. Shelter at $4.000 has line contact. Clearaudios between $1.500 and 8.000 have "trygon PII" or "micro hd". The cheapest are the Benz' line contact $550 - 1.295. "Dynascan" needles are $2.000 - 4.700.
These are probably "audiophile" cartridges with a elevated price tag to put it mildly, but also POSSIBLE CD-4 trackers.
RK

Quadzilla, yes, I think I am following you. What you basically say is that all parts of the cartridge is designed to reach up in to the ultrasonic region, EXCEPT the needle itself(?). This means that the needle itself plays to - say - 20kHz, but the rest of the cartridge goes higher. This will probably give less phase problems, basically letting the harmonics through without phase shift etc.
Please correct me if I did misunderstand you.
RK

Shure M24H, although it is hard to find because it is the only CD-4 cartridge made by Shure.

Back