Cartridge for SQ and CD-4 Decoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if a cartridge manufacturer gives the frequency response as such-and-such with any given cartridge, as a whole, I would expect this to mean WITH the given stylus, no?

I mean, if the response is stated as going up to 50kHz and the cartridge comes with an eliptical, I would assume that the manufacturer means WITH that stylus.

So, theoretically, as I believe Rolv first proposed, this cartridge should work with CD-4 as long as the other parameters meet CD-4 requirements.

Doug

Hi,

i also used to have an Audio technica AT 440 in my quad system, being unsatisfied with both SQ und CD4 playback. SQ provides some ´phasiness´, poor separation/directional information and some ´SSSSSS´-noise jumping from speaker to speaker. CD4 does quite a good separation job with slight balance problems (AT440 usually suffers from talkover problems), but with some loud quadradiscs, you are entering a new dimension of distortion.

I switched to AT OC9 ML which is a Moving Coil Cartridge in the Audio Technica world with quite similar stereo qualities and sound as the AT440. But it outperforms the 440 in all manner in quad. Only problem might be its output level which is quite high for an MC but lower than MM, so the search for a step-up-amp might not be easy. But it´s worth it.

Have quad fun,

Malte (from Germany)

That's a great cartridge for cd-4 playback . I use the audio technica 440ml also , and it sound very good . I would stay with that you got .I have no problems at all and my sound is gret in sq and cd-4 also . I would look for a spare cartridge to back you up in the future . The guys can tell you other cartridge's you can use as well .

Back