Close-Up Look: Acura TL ELS DVD-A Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
tl.jpg

2004 Acura TL Sedan, with the ELS Surround Sound System, designed by Elliot Scheiner

As some of you may know, I recently purchased an Acura TL. Aside from it being a great car, one of the things that first caught my attention was that it comes standard with a DVD-A player. That's right, STANDARD! You can't get the car without it! :D

tall.jpg

The console may look intimidating, but it is very easy to get used to. My car has the Navigation system, which is essentially the only option on the car. Everything else is standard, including Bluetooth Technology for compatible cell phones, and XM Satellite radio (3 months free)

I have thrown every type of disc at this player, and it has played them all. (It does NOT play MP3 files, however - Not my bag, anyway) It has no problem with CDs, DVD-As, DTS CDs, CD-Rs, DTS CD-Rs, and DVD-A's created with discWelder and Wavelab 5. (I have only tried DVD-R media, however)

The unit operates without the normal DVD-A menus. All you do is insert the DVD-A and it comes up playing. You can insert any combination of 6 CDs, DTS CDs, or DVD-A's.

dvda1.jpg

The picture above shows the touch screen in the DVD-A Audio mode. From here, you can "touch" the disc you want to play, and see the track number and time. It does not do DVD Text, so there is no indication of the disc name or song title. This screen is not required to be displayed. I only brought it up to show you the layout. Pressing the SOUND button brings up the balance screen, as shown below:

audio.jpg

From this screen, you can set your balance and tone controls, as well as the volume of the center and subwoofer. It really works pretty well. After a few moments of non-activity, it goes back to the previous screen.

speakers.jpg

The speaker layout in the car is as follows. There is a large center channel speaker in the dash above the console. At each end of the dash are a pair of tweeters. In the front doors are the two front speakers. In the rear window panel reside the rear channel speakers and the sub. The overall effect of the system is not overpowering, but there is enough oomph there so that when you play a DVD-A like Kamakiriad, the bass will "move" things in the car! :D

Overall, the sound quality is excellent. It is so nice to hear sounds coming from the rears, filling up the car with music from everywhere. I found that I did not have to balance the speakers to get a "sweet spot" effect in the drivers seat. I listened for a few moments from the passengers side, and it was equally pleasing from there as well. I have yet to test the mix in the rear seats!

I have a DVD-A where the vocal starts in the front Left and Right, each a seperate voice, then two additional voices are added in the Rear Left and Right, creating 4 distinct vocals coming from 4 different speakers. The rears come up over your shoulders and the effect is, dare I say, "stunning!!!" :mad:@:

The car comes with a special DVD-A with a run through from Elliot Schiener, as he explains the benefits of DVD-A. We are taken through a stereo version of Long Train Running, then a Hi-Rez Surround version of the same tune. Towards the end of the disc, Elliot comes back and "builds" the surround mix for Grover Washingtons's Winelight. He starts with a single channel and it's designated instrument, then goes through each one on it's own. He then brings them all together into a surround frenzie! :p

Having DVD-A in the car is, to me, a great environment for surround sound. If more cars came with these players, the demand for these discs would surge! I would hope that Panasonic and ELS would get their system into more and more makes and models the help DVD-A get out into the mainstream. It's a natural.

I had never played with XM Satellite radio before, and as it came with the car, I checked it out! It is actually pretty nice!

xm.jpg

It comes in handy when those Best Buy trips come up empty and I want something different to listen to.

I know that fellow member Bob Romano also has purchased a TL, and there are others here that have this car. I would hope that they will chime in and add what they can to this thread. As I've said elsewhere, if you are not ready for a $30,000 car, you should at least take one for a spin, with your favorite DVD-A or DTS cd, just to check one out. The 2005 models will be out soon, so your local dealers may have sweet deals on any 2004's they have left.

To me, this is a perfect car - now if it only did SACDs, it would be the ULTIMATE!

XM's killer IMHO. :) It's gotten me out there buying music again, more than I can say for any local radio station!

Just curious--is there any indication of who makes the electronics for Acura? For many years in the past, Alpine made the sound systems for Honda--my 1997 CR-V is Alpine-based. (I bought an Alpine changer that is plug-in compatible with the head unit...saved a few hundred bucks over what a dealer would charge!) I've seen billboards here in Detroit advertising DVD-A and ELS, and I thought the Panasonic name was attached to it somehow.

MP3 would have been a no-brainer here, though...most DVD players can handle an MP3 disc, and I've probably got at least a dozen "favorites" discs in MP3 format that I like to use for extended playback. Not a huge deal though--as long as there's a changer, it works for me. ;)

Great review Jon. Did u take the pics with a digital camera? You ought to submit the review to a magazine. I've test driven the car and the sound and ride were great. Just a little too steep, price wise, for me at this time.

Barry

bear said:
Great review Jon. Did u take the pics with a digital camera? You ought to submit the review to a magazine. I've test driven the car and the sound and ride were great. Just a little too steep, price wise, for me at this time.
Barry
Thaks Barry. Yes, I took those pictures in my driveway with a Sony Mavica. I only shot at 640x480 to keep the file size down. I was not sure how the screen pictures would turn out. The screens look much better in person, but these at least give you an idea.

I also realize that a $30K car is not something that every QQ member can afford. When I was at the "right" age, I could not afford a car like this. Now that I'm an old fart, I can afford a car like this. Some things just are not fair! :mad:@:

:-jon

Jon,

Thanks for the great review and thanks for listing all the formats that will play on the system. The pictures were real nice. I wonder when this kind of system will become available on automobiles that I can afford. I hope that it is soon.

tcdriver

Jon. Does it play DVD video? Are you able to access the DVD-A menus at all? How do you switch between the stereo & 5.1 tracks? Can it access the DD or DTS tracks on the DVD-V side of a DVD-A?

Larry Geller said:
Jon. Does it play DVD video? Are you able to access the DVD-A menus at all? How do you switch between the stereo & 5.1 tracks? Can it access the DD or DTS tracks on the DVD-V side of a DVD-A?
Wow, Larry! Let's see.................

Does it play DVD video? NO

Are you able to access the DVD-A menus at all? NO

How do you switch between the stereo & 5.1 tracks? Using a combination of buttons

Can it access the DD or DTS tracks on the DVD-V side of a DVD-A? YES - DTS ONLY though.

Bob Romano, can you help me out here????? :D

JonUrban said:
Wow, Larry! Let's see.................

Does it play DVD video? NO CORRECT

Are you able to access the DVD-A menus at all? NO CORRECT

How do you switch between the stereo & 5.1 tracks? I don't think you can. I believe it's 5.1 all the way, unless you have one of the Neil Young Stereo Only DVD-A's CORRECT

Can it access the DD or DTS tracks on the DVD-V side of a DVD-A? NO CORRECT

Bob Romano, can you help me out here????? :D
Jon is 100% correct. The only thing it will play are cd's (regular and DTS) cd-r and DVD-A's. No dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS DVD's will play. If the disc is 5.1 that's what you get. If it is stereo that's what you get. You can't switch between hi-rez 5.1 and stereo.

Bob Romano said:
Jon is 100% correct. The only thing it will play are cd's (regular and DTS) cd-r and DVD-A's. No dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS DVD's will play. If the disc is 5.1 that's what you get. If it is stereo that's what you get. You can't switch between hi-rez 5.1 and stereo.
Bummer.

Larry Geller said:
Well, maybe. But it is SO FREAKING COOL to be able to play SURROUND DVD-A's in the car, I mean, who cares? Just imagine going into your BB, getting "Running on Empty" on DVD-A, and hearing it as soon as you leave the store.

Just imagine! :banana:

(Imagine is all we can do with that title!) :D

Thx guys for all the info. Jon, your review and pics are great! Very impressive system!
The car is an ideal environment to listen to surround music. I can still remember the awsome experience i had a long time ago during the 'quad years' when a friend of mine played Santana's Black Magic Woman and Edgar Winter's Frankenstein(from 8-track quad tapes) in his car. It sounded great blasting from his Jensen Triaxial 3-way 6x9's!!! (Remember those???)
I sure hope other car manufacturer's do the same as Acura...and maybe even make it more "Universal" where you can also play SACD's and DVD Video's.........
BTW, How's the interior room in the TL??? Will someone 6'/4" fit comfortably?? If not...then I'm out of luck!
Thx again all.....
TimW

timw said:
...................BTW, How's the interior room in the TL??? Will someone 6'/4" fit comfortably?? If not...then I'm out of luck!
Thx again all.....
TimW
Hmmm. 6'4" in the TL? Might be tight getting in. I think you will have to try it to see. There is a lot of leg room once you get in, but it really has a "sports car" feel to it, with your legs pretty straight out.

Of course, you could always drive with the roof open all the time to get more headroom! :mad:@:

bear said:
Great review Jon. You ought to submit the review to a magazine.

That's true, Jon. You really should.

Some audio or auto mag will want it, and you should take the opportunity to spread the word about the "dead" DVD-A (huh? whah?) format.

I've been interested in this car since the January CES show, where I first learned about the standard DVD-A player. They had a demo right on the floor, but I didn't have time to really check it out. I'll take your advice and head off to the Acura showroom with a case o' discs.

When your article gets published, a few more might do the same.

Thanks, but flattery will not get you anywhere, except maybe a ride in the car!

Check my post above (#3) for a link to a REAL review. That guy knows how to

1) type

2) Spell

Neither of which I can do! :D

JonUrban said:
Well, maybe. But it is SO FREAKING COOL to be able to play SURROUND DVD-A's in the car, I mean, who cares? Just imagine going into your BB, getting "Running on Empty" on DVD-A, and hearing it as soon as you leave the store.

Just imagine! :banana:

(Imagine is all we can do with that title!) :D
Didn't mean to rain on your parade, I'm just greedy & want it all. OTOH, my car will be paid off in August & I'm very interested in the TL regardless of my above complaints. However, at 6'3", I'm in timw's boat, although I have read in car mags that it has tons of interior space. I just wonder about the headroom. I guess I'll be heading to an Acura dealer soon!

Larry Geller said:
Didn't mean to rain on your parade.................... I just wonder about the headroom. I guess I'll be heading to an Acura dealer soon!
Ooops! Left the sunroof open again! :D (Gets me "extra" headroom!) :D

:-jon

The thing about any car system for me is: what's the overall S/N? Cars are noisy
environments for listening (unless you park them first) ;>

ssully said:
The thing about any car system for me is: what's the overall S/N? Cars are noisy
environments for listening (unless you park them first) ;>

Acura was kind enough to put alot of sound dampening material throughout. I was looking at Accord coupes previously and doing a comparison -it appeared Acura paid a great amount of attention to this. This car is extremely quiet, more so than any vehicle I have ever owned.

Some other aspects to the TL with regard to road noise levels included a specially designed windshield with a layer of some type of material designed to limit wind noise and also insulation in the panels of the doors, fenders and trunk area. Really, all in all a spectacular job!

Jim

Back