computer-based SQ quad encoding?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey2064

Perhaps this is a stupid question, or perhaps I am too stupid to understand the math of encoding 4 discreet mono channels to SQ quad...there must be a way.

Is there a way to do this in Adobe Audition? I read the mathmatical formula and came away more confused than before reading it. I understand that there is a + and minus 90° phase shift on the rear channels, but what does 0.7 in the equation refer to?

Is there a simple way to take 4 mono channels and turn them into SQ quad using Adobe Audition that is accurate? I am not looking for simulating SQ quad but the real thing...any ideas?

You would think that if someone could create a decoding script for SQ they could create a encoding script, but it's not that simple. The decoding scripts use the center channel extraction function of AA. There is no reverse function.

The only way that I know of to encode SQ would be with a Sony SQ Encoder. These show up on eBay from time to time, and they really don't go for that much ($200 or so). The are all 30+ years old, and who knows if they still work.

You're much better off encoding to DTS or DVD-A.

Mix in stereo, monitor in SQ. This is the best way imo.

Yes, I would think it is possible, especially since others here have made digital SQ and QS test signals....how would this be possible, if it were not possible? Forgive my ignorance, but four seperate mono waves files do not have a center channel before encoding....I imagine. I thought the center channel extraction was used to retrieve the rear channels from an SQ source....perhaps I did not understand well.

Lucanu came up with a script that supports both QS and SQ encoding.

I've used both with pretty good results.

I use the QS encoding script to make disks I can play in one of the cars I sometimes drive. It has a built in surround decoder that I've been able to tweek to make it decode QS with decent results.

Send me a PM Joey. I can help you.

If you want to do it by hand and get more precise results, go to http://bsnpubs.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3024365&highlight=adobe+audition+tutorial.

Then follow the directions for creating 4 independent WAV files, or do what I do and make five or six, one for center front and one for
the boom channel, which technically can share one because the boom channel is always <125Hz and nobody can talk or sing that low.

Line your front stereo pair up and your rear stereo pair up and save as individual stereo WAV files.

After that, load up the rear stereo file and replace the directions for minus-90 (top) and plus-90 (bottom) degree phase outs
with the appropriate plus-and-minus matrix phase outs found here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2150&d=1239994229.

Apply the correct phaseout to each of the rear channels (67.5, 180, 112.5, whatever it is) and do the same for the other channel.
Then put both stereo WAVs into the Multitrack and Mix Down to Stereo.
The phase information will be preserved and Poof. Homemade SQ (or QS or EV-4, or RM or DYQ or any combination you want).

Dylan, thanks so much for the AA 1.5 script. It worked out beautifully and steered the music to the proper speakers better than I could have imagined...just what I was looking for when I started this thread. I knew beyond a doubt this could be done and it is much easier than decoding SQ!

To all those who said it could not be done and those talking about center channels that do not exist on 4 mono channels:sun....it can be done and quickly too!!!

Lucanu came up with a script that supports both QS and SQ encoding.

I've used both with pretty good results.

I use the QS encoding script to make disks I can play in one of the cars I sometimes drive. It has a built in surround decoder that I've been able to tweek to make it decode QS with decent results.

Send me a PM Joey. I can help you.

You can also make an SQ encoder with two non-logic SQ decoders, like the Sony SQD-1000.
Encoder

Back