Concord Jazz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Robinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I know releases from Concord Records have been mentioned in other threads on the Forum but I had to get my 2 cents in. I made the mistake of buying "The Ray Brown Trio - Live At The LOA". I say mistake because since I bought this one a few weeks ago I have been on the search for other Concord SACD's. I have 4 of them now and counting. So far they are all sonically fantastic and the music on most of them is incredible as well. Just try the Ray Brown disc and you will see what I mean. Beware though, as the surround mix on all the discs so far is more of a wraparound. Left front into left rear and right front into right rear. On the RBT disc all 3 of the instruments appear in the rears including fairly heavy drum material. I LOVE IT. I just crank it up and sit there with a smile on my face. These guys seem to be expert at recording the piano (and every other instrument for that matter) properly. If you like jazz you will not be sorry picking up this disc, except that it might start a buying frenzy as it did with me.

If one wants to "test the waters" just to check the Concord stuff out without making a huge comittment, buy both of the samplers like I did! They're great sounding discs and can be found at around $10.

I can attest to the Pancho Sanchez, Stan Getz, Tito Puente, Cal Tjader & Monty Alexander titles. Sheee-it, I made the same happy mistake of buying one...many soon followed as a torrent of cash left my hands.

:mad:@:

A good problem to have!

-Jay

JNewberg said:
I can attest to the Pancho Sanchez, Stan Getz, Tito Puente, Cal Tjader & Monty Alexander titles. Sheee-it, I made the same happy mistake of buying one...many soon followed as a torrent of cash left my hands.

:mad:@:

A good problem to have!

-Jay

You should try the Ray Brown Disc if you don't have it. It is my favourite of the ones I have so far.

danzigdan said:
If one wants to "test the waters" just to check the Concord stuff out without making a huge comittment, buy both of the samplers like I did! They're great sounding discs and can be found at around $10.

I'll second your motion about the two Concord Surround SACD Samplers. A nice way to check out what they have - and which of their SACDs you may want to pick up !

It would be nice if other companies followed suit with cheap samplers. I believe Telarc's are like $17. The Concord were below $10 in some places.

danzigdan said:
It would be nice if other companies followed suit with cheap samplers. I believe Telarc's are like $17. The Concord were below $10 in some places.

Actually the folks that started the cheap SACD Surround Samplers was a European Classical Music company named Channel Classics. Their sampler lists for $11.98. I think that is where Concord and some of the others got the idea a) for SACD Surround Samplers and b) for aggressively pricing them.

If you like Classical Music & SACD Surround, do grab the Channel Classics Sampler - some good material there at a low price.

Speaking of Telarc, if you visit their web site at http://www.telarc.com/sacd/title.asp?sku=SACD-69999&mscssid=AKH4UU1VGFB38LB0KR1J691VJR4P3XK5, they will sell you all 3 of the Telarc SACD samplers for only $35! Also a deal, but a limited time one (a continuation of their deal at CES).

I notice that the web site states that these disks ar sacd only, are they double layered with a redbook layer or just sacd. I hope to get a universal player soon.

fdrennen said:
I notice that the web site states that these disks ar sacd only, are they double layered with a redbook layer or just sacd. I hope to get a universal player soon.

The Concord non-sampler SACD's are Hybrid . Not sure about the others mentioned or the Concord Samplers though.

Yes, the samplers are hybrids, and yes they are very good and yes you most likely will end up spending a bunch of money buying Concord jazz discs. I haven't come across a bad one yet.

Back