Confused about CD-4 Gear - will a modern cartridge with shibata work

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Doug but you are just plain wrong, a stylus has to have a frequency response of at least 30,000 db to begin to read the frequencies encoded in CD-4. All these expensive cartridges are made for stereo and linear contact is not always shibata. Best result would be to shop at the bay and get an old audio-technica at12, 14 or 15sa cartridge with a nos stylus. They were made for quad and the only one made today specifically for old cd-4 records is the Ortofon 2m black. At $700 you could buy a few old cd-4 cartridges on the bay!

What do you think I was saying above? About what am I so wrong?

No need to lecture me on a subject with which I have had much experience.

You can't be so simplistic with this stuff.

Are you just trying to start an argument?

And a stylus would not have a response of 30,000 dB. A stylus would have a response of 30,000 Hz.

Doug

Sorry Doug but you are just plain wrong, a stylus has to have a frequency response of at least 30,000 db to begin to read the frequencies encoded in CD-4. All these expensive cartridges are made for stereo and linear contact is not always shibata. Best result would be to shop at the bay and get an old audio-technica at12, 14 or 15sa cartridge with a nos stylus. They were made for quad and the only one made today specifically for old cd-4 records is the Ortofon 2m black. At $700 you could buy a few old cd-4 cartridges on the bay!

Line contact stylus and Shibata are the exact same thing - just different names from different companies. If a cartridge, even a conical one, has a frequency response out to 45,000 kHz with about 13db separation between the channels in that range, it will work for CD-4.

I am using a Grado Prestge Red, basically the same as the blue model,and it works fine for cd-4 with my sansui 9001. I'm sure there are other cartridges that work better, but hey...it works. And Lou Dorren is packaging a Grado Gold cartridge with his new demodulator. I think he knows something about CD-4.

I am using a Grado Prestge Red, basically the same as the blue model,and it works fine for cd-4 with my sansui 9001. I'm sure there are other cartridges that work better, but hey...it works. And Lou Dorren is packaging a Grado Gold cartridge with his new demodulator. I think he knows something about CD-4.

Don't forget that, as a one-time build, Grado will be equipping their Gold cartridges for Lou's new demodulator with Shibata styli (that's why they want to know how many of us want replacements). Personally, I think that it will prove to be an amazing cartridge.

Sorry to bump this thread, but so far I've only worked with SQ/QS. I'm looking at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-PIC...ATA-STYLUS-HEADSHELL-/380407241361#vi-content

and wondering if anyone knows whether this (assuming its a genuine pickering cart and stylus) should track CD4. I've googled around and can't find the particular specifications it seems I'd need.

Also, does anyone know, other than ebay, if there is a good place to look for used quad and other legacy-type audio equipment?

Sorry to bump this thread, but so far I've only worked with SQ/QS. I'm looking at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-PIC...ATA-STYLUS-HEADSHELL-/380407241361#vi-content

and wondering if anyone knows whether this (assuming its a genuine pickering cart and stylus) should track CD4. I've googled around and can't find the particular specifications it seems I'd need.

Also, does anyone know, other than ebay, if there is a good place to look for used quad and other legacy-type audio equipment?

First of all, DON"T buy from WTHsolutions on ebay. The guy is a ripoff. He sells what are used and cheap replacements for cartridges and stylus. Pickering didn't make this cart, It is a kitbashing cart. Absolute junk.
The other place to find very good gear is audiogon.com. Wait for someone to post a JVC 4md-20x cartridge and stylus on ebay. There is a guy who has a lot of old stock new carts from Canada. It was made by AT and a fantastic cart. Hope that helps...

Hope that helps...

It does. Glad I dodged a bullet.

Edit:

There are a few of these currently on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-JVC-4-M...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item33715f6f15

Specs are:

•Freq. range is 20-60,000 hz.
•Separation is 30 db @ 1 khz and 20+ db @ 30 khz.

But as far as I can tell from this thread, this still doesn't tell me exactly whether this cart/stylus has the separation necessary in the high-range to pick up the discrete CD-4. Or am I just completely off base. Confusing

I just checked ebay and he has 2 of these carts NEW. I bought several from him so I know he is a quality dealer; Item number: 130639008169
Check this out on the ebay.

the seller Id is stereoparts. This cart will do everything you want on CD-4. It will provide separation greater than 30db and is perfect. JVC invented CD-4 and this is their cart to go along with all their decoding. You will be pleased and he is asking $159 I believe for a new cart and stylus. Good luck.

the seller Id is stereoparts. This cart will do everything you want on CD-4. It will provide separation greater than 30db and is perfect. JVC invented CD-4 and this is their cart to go along with all their decoding. You will be pleased and he is asking $159 I believe for a new cart and stylus. Good luck.

That's a good price, and replacement styli are readily available at LPGear (it is $99.95). The JVC cartridge was made for them by Audio-Technica, and it's body style is reminiscent of the AT-12Sa, though the specs are more in line with the AT-15Sa. Should sound great, and I must say that I'm really, really tempted to get one..........

That's a good price, and replacement styli are readily available at LPGear (it is $99.95). The JVC cartridge was made for them by Audio-Technica, and it's body style is reminiscent of the AT-12Sa, though the specs are more in line with the AT-15Sa. Should sound great, and I must say that I'm really, really tempted to get one..........

I would! They don't make these anymore and where can you find a new one? Best of luck!

It does. Glad I dodged a bullet.

Edit:

There are a few of these currently on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-JVC-4-M...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item33715f6f15

Specs are:

•Freq. range is 20-60,000 hz.
•Separation is 30 db @ 1 khz and 20+ db @ 30 khz.

But as far as I can tell from this thread, this still doesn't tell me exactly whether this cart/stylus has the separation necessary in the high-range to pick up the discrete CD-4. Or am I just completely off base. Confusing

Actually, if you read the specs, you'll see that the JVC cartridge has a separation of 20db at 30kHz, perfect for CD-4. I bought the one you linked to, but the other is still available here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/13063900816...08169&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

I bought from Stereoparts as well. I am really happy with the cartridge. They ship fast and well packed. However, the cartridges were $99 when I got it and the replacement stylus was only $50, not the current $69. I now have great CD-4 playback and also know how crappy the SQ decoder on my QRX-7001 is! I was using a Grado Prestige Blue before, but couldn't get past the sound of groove damage.

Congratulations! You now own one of the finest CD-4 carts made. Only a few were better like the AT20ss and AT15ss, the AT15sa and AT20sla also come to mind...

I'm really happy about it. I've always wanted the AT-20Sa or AT-15Sa, but when I bought my Pioneer PL-10 turntable in 1975, the AT14-Sa was all I could afford, at that the price of the cartridge was 3/4 the price of the turntable, very pricey indeed. I'll have to post my listening impressions when I get it sometime this week.

I know how bad the decoder for the 7001 is, I will be listing my Lafayette SQ-W SQ decoder on ebay in a week or so. I have 2 so I can sell one.

Congratulations! You now own one of the finest CD-4 carts made. Only a few were better like the AT20ss and AT15ss, the AT15sa and AT20sla also come to mind...

Ok, I went ahead and bought the other. Maybe a bit too soon, since I don't yet have a cd-4 demodulator. But that is next on the list.

Back