Copying Music and Passing it Out.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndiamone

600 Club - QQ All-Star
These days, Torrent, Limewire and Azareus (Vuze) replaced passing cassettes out, and now blogs have surpassed filesharing.

What's the big hoopla all about? Whatever you can't Torrent or find on Limewire, somebody has a perfect copy of it on a blog somewhere to download for free and the RIAA or MPAA does nothing about it except go after some poor grandmother.
And people are saying even moreso on the blogs than filesharing, people have put up needle-drops of records nobody ever will CARE if they go to CD or not, so all these old forgotten recordings get exposed to a new generation.

We did no different in the 70's in college on tape than the kids do today on MP3's or blogs. The industry needs to get with it.

In our day, whoever was a `kept' guy (i.e. father had money) would go out and buy the newest release on reel to reel if he could get it that way, or LP or cassette, or we'd use the free copies from the college radio station which got everything from everybody, and which, being promo, usually sounded better than the store copies anyway.

We'd take the reel or cassette down to the language lab duplication center and make thousands of cassettes off the original reel or cassette. For LP-only releases, same thing. We'd take it to the LP-to-reel transfer stations and sit there for an hour while it recorded, then take the reel and replicate the above process. Kids would come by and pay whatever the going rate was for pre-loaded cassettes (usually under a dollar) and go home happy.

That went on for my freshman and sophomore year, then when I was a junior, our District Headquarters which we (District language lab) were in the basement of, got their own bulk-cassette loader, an unlimited account with cassette-shell parts manufacturers, a direct-to-plastic cassette printer, (eliminating the need for paper labels and kids to stick `em on the tapes), a recycled bin-loop duplicator leftover from American Stereotape and enough half-inch, quarter-inch and cassette tape pancakes to last for 50 years.

In the same building on the floor below us was the State Library for the Blind and next door to that was the studios for MARS (Michigan Audio Recording Service) for the Blind and Disabled (later known as Recording for the Blind). Since a lot of talking-book titles hadn't been remastered onto cassette yet by the real Library of Congress, and our 8 or 16 RPM LP editions were usually still mint, we'd sit there at night instead of drinking and carousing til all hours and tape off 6 or 8 turntables onto 3 or 4 tape decks all going at the same time.

Since all the sides on the old talking books were exactly 88 minutes long, we'd load up 90-minute reels and set every other turntable up to run counterclockwise, reverse the cartridges in them and tape the even sides backwards from the center out counterclockwise onto track 2 of tape decks at the same time that we'd tape odd sides forwards onto track 1 of the same deck, use that as a bin loop cassette master and then pass cassettes out to students.

So it wasn't any great big stretch from there to fit all the turntables with stereo cartridges, get two copies of each promo LP, play one side 2 backwards and one side 1 forwards on different turntables at the same time and tape them onto the studio's 4-track tape decks to use as bin-loop masters later.

And what do they come out with 25 years later for the club DJ field?
Turntables you can set to run backwards, and cartridge headshells set up to put a cartridge in backwards.

And down the hall from MARS was the Regional Headquarters and Studios for National Wireless Music (formerly National Wired Music, and later absorbed by MUZAK). We nicknamed it Jupiter Studios because everything in there was huge compared to what we were using. Those guys would be recording their 14-inch and 19-inch 8-hour and 16-hour background (and later foreground) music tapes onto their own engineered version of half-speed Sony ElCasets, using the same process, so that their huge reel-to-reels and machines didn't get worn out. Then they could make new ElCaset dubs whenever they wanted to from the production-service reels they got sent.

That practice is the main reason today why so many background music reels of the 50's 60's and 70's survive.

Years later, the subscription music services themselves went to between-the-speed cassettes (1-13/32 IPS or one-eighth of 11-1/4 the same as 1-7/8 is one-eighth of 15), and guess who they tapped to set up those labs? All these guys who used to get in trouble all the time for `misuse of corporate or Government property'. I still laugh about it.

Also, all kinds of engineers and engineer-wannabe's had SCA-capable radios in those days, and a few centers like ours would even use two simultaneous SCA channels, sometimes on two different FM stations to transmit SCA stereo to other broadcast centers that didn't have satellite downlink yet in those early days of satellite radio. The big New York and L.A. production houses would send out the raw music with no or very few commercials, all in discrete two channel wide band stereo, so whatever we missed doing ourselves, we could take off the bird, same as the radio stations would do and then make cassettes off that.

And we'd do the same from TV satellite subscription-TV feeds, (Spectrum, OnTV, SelecTV, etc) or 2-inch or 1-inch broadcast masters or LaserDisc or cable-station or whatever masters and have banks of VHS or Beta recorders going all the time in the basement.

And we were FAR from the only college doing it, same as today. Colleges all over the country were housed in the same buildings as their state libraries for the blind, and background-music transmission headquarters and trading off engineers the same as we were.

You never heard of anybody complaining about music-and-video sharing in those days, now all of a sudden it's a big deal.
Then, hot on the heels of all that going on was drugstore and bookstore cassette high-speed dubbers. Remember the old TELEX or ReZound machines every drugstore, bookstore and more than a few music stores had?

Then around the same time, there were still listening booths in record stores. Of course they had to have cassette recorders too, so for whatever new albums hadn't come on cassette yet, little kids would go into the audition booth one day and tape side 1 of the LP to a blank tape they bought 3 for a dollar, and then come back another day and do side 2, then take that to the drugstore or bookstore across the street and run copies onto some more 3 for a dollar cassettes and then sell `em to their friends for a dollar a tape. I know all kinds of boys who ditched their allowance and their chores in favor of this.

So, you ask, where did I go and get a job at after a college career like that? Yep. Getting paid for it in the U.S. Military doing satellite recording, LP mastering and videotape and audiotape duplication at Rhein-Main Air Base Broadcast and Transcription Center where we did the exact same thing for all the troops in Europe as I did in college, except the video-dupes were 3/4 inch U-Matic instead of VHS/Beta.

But of course, we ran our own VHS/Beta of the material too ``to do Quality Control at home'' instead of always having to be at the studio. That was even permitted, but we were supposed to bulk-erase the tapes after, though nobody ever did.

And where did I get my first job AFTER the military? Warner Special Products audio and video assembly house for those compilation CD's and videos. So I been getting paid by both the Government and commercial enterprise for years doing the exact same thing the RIAA and MPAA wants to hound some poor old grandmother over.

Please. People need to grow up and get a life.

Last edited:
The days of stealing from the rich are over, it's a worse offense than murder (of a poor person) these days. Changing values (if you can call them that).

Sharing music is fine on a friendly scale; I sent some out at the post office today. Sadly what I've seen is people downloading and also burning at such a rapid rate that the value of the music is diminished to something less than a commodity.

That's not turning people on to music they might go out and actually purchase; it's just a widespread case of uber-geekitude. Do it because you CAN not because music matters to you.

Pretty vacant.

Here's my take for what it's worth:

In the "old days", to make a tape for someone, you basically had to invest in at LEAST an entire hour to play the record in real time, watch the tape, stop it, flip the record, flip the tape, and you'd get a single tape that you could give to a friend or take to the car. You also had to be careful as you could record the tape with too much or too little volume, the wrong NR, etc etc.

Today, you can take a CD and in minutes have mulitple copies that take no skill or time to create. And yet, handing a copy to a friend to check out is, to me, much different than taking a brand new release and putting it on the internet for millions to download.

It makes be even more crazy when I see a brand new surround release, for example the latest Tubular Bells 5.1, sitting on a download server for all to steal. Heck, the thing will have NO CHANCE of getting any notice if every surround fan downloads it for free. Who will buy it? Then, it will be seen as not selling, which will kill future releases.

I have no problem with sharing out of print titles that no one wants to release in the proper way, but when I see surround stuff that can still be bought at the original price being shared openly, it really ticks me off.

But that's the "old fart" in me I guess.....................

It makes be even more crazy when I see a brand new surround release, for example the latest Tubular Bells 5.1, sitting on a download server for all to steal. Heck, the thing will have NO CHANCE of getting any notice if every surround fan downloads it for free. Who will buy it? Then, it will be seen as not selling, which will kill future releases.

I have no problem with sharing out of print titles that no one wants to release in the proper way, but when I see surround stuff that can still be bought at the original price being shared openly, it really ticks me off.

But that's the "old fart" in me I guess.....................
My sentiments exactly....
Taking a rare or out of print recording and posting it for other fans
of MC music doesn't bother me but a disc that was released yesterday or is still in print and readily available should NOT be posted.
Neil & I had this conversation regarding the Depeche Mode sets that you can still get even on E-Bay for less than $20.00 US.
Now when they go OOP and start selling for $100 bux a pop and it becomes "absolutely the last one on earth" :)D), then I feel it's a different story.
If the rumoured King Crimson stuff ever comes out, it would be a pity to see all the hard work
go to hell because of it.

However, going after "grandma" is really pushing it.
Many artists have stated that filesharing has either helped their sales or
even turned a new generation on to their older work, or just on to them
period.
But there are some that don't even let the work get cold.

I have some nice transfers of old 45's & LPs that are long gone and may never see the light of day.
There is a big difference, at least in my mind, between preservation
and stealing.
I'd rather have a professional copy, but if it doesn't exist, well, it's like
anything else... if someone wants it bad enough...

-Bob

I am not understanding how illegal free filesharing is helping any artist or music company. I don't have the solution but illegal downloading is making things really difficult for music companies and artists in my opinion. I think if Grandma is breaking the law, she is just as likely or unlikely as anyone to be the subject of legal proceedings. I started collecting surround discs before it became cost prohibitive and have found all but a handful of the SACD/DVD-A/DVD-V releases I want, including all of the Depeche Mode titles except "101" and I haven't decided if I want that one or not. Several of the Depeche Mode SACD's have gotten too expensive for me and I did settle for a couple of CD/DVD-V sets at a fair price.

Chris

I am not understanding how illegal free filesharing is helping any artist or music company.

It's certainly not helping the record companies, but it may not be hurting the artists as much as one would think. Unless you're in the same league as The Rolling Pink Jackson Beatles, your real income is from the concerts and T-shirts, not the recordings.

I'm not trying to defend the practice of mass "sharing" of readily-available material, just pointing something out.

I fully agree with Jon. First, I rarely feel like making mixes anymore or copies of anything for anyone anymore because there isn't the same kind of interaction that there once was with the process and most people wouldn't care less even if it took some effort. I am also in agreement regarding the download thing. As much as I will download recent releases to check them out, if I like it, I buy it...and if I am a fan of the band, I'll just straight up buy it. Furthermore, regarding surround releases, I do my best to buy the item first. I'm not rich by any extent of the imagination, but I put what money I do have into music. I take it a step further by trying to see concerts of the people/bands I really like (spending $200+ on occassion for a single ticket). I guess my overall feeling is that if something is available and your at least 50% sure you'll like it, just buy it.

I should point out that I got into surround sound a few years after the dvd-audio market shut down, so I've had to be very patient and had to spend many $$ to build up a great collection. I know it can be tough, but having the original release in hand really does make a difference to me.

I'd like to add that there were titles that I downloaded back in the Napster days that I liked so much I bought the CD. In the case of the Zombies, for instance, I bought both their box set ("Zombie Heaven") and "Odyssey and Oracle". Free samples sometimes actually work.

I see no harm in ripping the DVD layer of DVD-A's with dts and DD tracks (considering the discs are long OOP) and sharing them as hard discs with buddies.

Ripping current CD's is different.

I fully agree filper, if available and you like it, eventually buy it, that's all I'm saying.

I see no harm in ripping the DVD layer of DVD-A's with dts and DD tracks (considering the discs are long OOP) and sharing them as hard discs with buddies.

Ripping current CD's is different.

I like Gabe's point about sharing music in the past. (Allow me to put on my "old fart" hat here for a minute) Ah-hem - - - OK. In the past it seemed that, and maybe it was age and lack of "other" responsibilities, sharing music was more than just handing someone a tape. Discussing the music and listening to the whole album (no track skipping) made for a different musical experience. Also, back then it seemed that it was appreciated more as it was more of an effort to make the copy.

Another thing that goes back to high school for me, and that is that we "loaned" each other albums. It was a trust thing where one would give one of our LPs to another to listen to, and usually resulted in two outcomes: 1) The dude kept your album (!!) :D and/or 2) You went out and got your own copy of the album your friend loaned you. I discovered many artists this way. "You have to hear this album, here, take it"

This doesn't happen much today, because it's far to easy to just "run off a copy".

Wow, didn't know there's be such passion with these guys....

In the "old days", to make a tape for someone, you basically had to invest in at LEAST an entire hour to play the record in real time, watch the tape, stop it, flip the record, flip the tape, and you'd get a single tape that you could give to a friend or take to the car. You also had to be careful as you could record the tape with too much or too little volume, the wrong NR, etc etc....

Or else bring your local paleface college engineering student some pop and pizza and... (See Above).

You're talking about smatterings of kids with other outdoor interests. I'm talking about
1. how most colleges in those days did exactly what they do now, just on different media and
2. the precursors to today's seeders and sharers who HAD no outside interests (or abilities).
The only difference now is MOST kids these days are indoor/paleface types.

Now when they go OOP and start selling for $100 bux a pop and it becomes "absolutely the last one on earth" :)D), then I feel it's a different story.

Yes, because then people are gouging and artists and prod co's don't get paid anyway.

Many artists have stated that filesharing has either helped their sales or even turned a new generation on to their older work, or just on to them period. But there are some (filesharers)that don't even let the work get cold.

Music is the same as movies these days. If you can't get your money in a matter of weeks or however long it takes the foreign countries to rip CD's and DVD's that don't come out domestically, or camcorder hoarders to shoot a complete show, then you need to start on something else.

The most famous example is Pearl Jam's concert tapes. They release EVERY NIGHT OF EVERY CONCERT of their ENTIRE RUN and it goes Multiple-Platinum IN SPITE OF SEEDERS AND SHARERS plus the Pearl Jam fanbase is raised exponentially by who knows HOW many millions of people.

I have some nice transfers of old 45's & LPs that are long gone and may never see the light of day. There is a big difference, at least in my mind, between preservation and stealing.

And you just said up above that most artists LIKE filesharing, like the act that made more money they all got to keep by releasing their album to seeders and sharers saying ``pay me what you think it's worth'' honor system than they made in their ENTIRE CAREER prior to that at the record label. Which side are you on?

I like Gabe's point about sharing music in the past. I...t seemed that...sharing music was more than just handing someone a tape. Discussing the music and listening to the whole album (no track skipping) made for a different musical experience. Also, back then it seemed that it was appreciated more as it was more of an effort to make the copy.

Right. If you gave your tape to a potential girlfriend (or if you grew up in San Francisco---boyfriend) then you could pretty much tell if there was any kind of long-term common-interests between you and them.

Another thing that goes back to high school for me, and that is that we "loaned" each other albums. It was a trust thing where one would give one of our LPs to another to listen to, and usually resulted in two outcomes: 1) The dude kept your album (!!) :D and/or 2) You went out and got your own copy of the album your friend loaned you. I discovered many artists this way. "You have to hear this album, here, take it"

This doesn't happen much today, because it's far to easy to just "run off a copy".

But, also, probably by that time you could buy X album loaned to you for $1.99 in the remainder bin and no artist or record company would get paid for that, either.

You're talking about the whole absence of a sociological interaction scenario going on. Nowadays, everybody wants to be their own drugstore-owner of the 70's, who often in his spare time would run monaural Telex or ReZound dubs of new albums all by himself.
Just remember in those pre-Walkman days, so few portable cassette players were stereo anyway it didn't make any difference.
So MP3's are stereo. They might as well be mono, just like most radio mixes are very close to these days.

Or how about when DAT's came out and they had DAT ONLY titles?
One person bought one DAT for $28.00 when LP's were 5.95, played it onto his reel to reel, ran the reel to reel off onto cassettes using the method or similar that started this thread, and got to passing it out, same with audiophile-only music.
We kids would get our cassettes of all these Direct-to-Disc or other audiophile 45-RPM albums nobody could afford for $28.00 a disc as soon as the local esoteric stereo shop engineer could find the time to make a master reel.

It has been said before, bring back the LP... pretty hard to press a copy for a friend.

And what happens with that? Look at all the 8-track-only albums that are STILL BEING MADE IN 2009!
An act spends all its money releasing its' music on a dead format and what happens? Same as with the audiophile-only titles. One guy buys one tape, rips it and posts it online.

And on and on and on.

Yes, it's always going to happen.

We can't compare its evolution: Sheet music, tapes, cds, et al...

Storage of "copied" media is fragile, and in most cases, the original will last longer and play better than the copy.

Nowadays it's much easier to make a copy, but that does not solve the stability of the copied media.

Factory pressed discs last longer than cdrs. They are more stable too.

People are going to wind up with nothing if they don't acquire the original.

Hey, they're already winding up with nothing when they purchase mp3s online(now, that is evil, but that's another ball o' wax)...

If I like something, I will buy it. Pure and simple. That is the wisest thing to do.
I have saved a lot of dough recently from "previewing" a lot of stuff-for example, Porcupine Tree. This doesn't mean one day I'll start liking their stuff -but, until then, that's when I'll spend my money.

We love it when our friends come to our place for the first time and can't believe our collection of DVDs/LPs, etc. Mainly because they would never have spent that money on something they do not value.

On the other hand I am very upset when I go to some "music enthusiast" house and find a few strewn cd-rs represent their collections.

Most people I know do not appreciate music, therefore they do not value it.
Why should they invest in their future leisure? They are more than served with mp3s and cd-rs.

Easy music copying may lead to something else that we may have needed; Hopefully good.
The Music Industry(sic) needs a shakedown and maybe this is it.

We can only hope that we will always have the hardcopy, cause if we only start getting served virtual goods, things could turn nasty.

One other major difference between the old days and now is the ability to make 0 gen copies ad infinitum. When I studied this issue a little before they passed the digital millenium copyright act, it came to light that the RIAA did not pursue those who made analogue recordings because the copy was inferior to the original and every subsequent copy even more inferior. In the digital age, that isn't true anymore. Perfect copies plus ease of distribution scares the bejesus out of them, and that is why in there eyes, what the kids are doing today is different and unnacceptable.

That being said, speaking for myself, the vast majority of what I download are things that I cant buy (OOP, etc.) or things that I wouldn't buy because I don't have that much money. Since I started downloading, which is only a short time period (less than one year), I have bought more from record stores than I did in the last 10 years, maybe even longer. I feel the industry has benefitted in my case.

Back