Cynthia Weil, Storied Songwriter With Decades of Hits, Dead at 82

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
From RollingStone.com-
CYNTHIA WEIL, THE celebrated songwriter who helped craft timeless hits like the Righteous Brothers’ “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’,” the Animals’ “We Gotta Get Out of This Place,” and Chaka Khan’s “Through the Fire,” died Thursday, June 1. She was 82.

Weil’s daughter, Jenn Mann, confirmed her death, though no cause was given. “My mother, Cynthia Weil, was the greatest mother, grandmother and wife our family could ever ask for,” Mann said. “She was my best friend, confidant, and my partner in crime and an idol and trailblazer for women in music.”

Barry Mann, Weil’s husband and creative partner, said, “I’m a lucky man. I had two for one: my wife and one of the greatest songwriters in the world, my soul and inspiration.”

Weill and Mann were key figures in the Brill Building scene, helping to shape the sound of American pop and rock and roll in the early Sixties alongside other luminaries like Carole King, Burt Bacharach, and Neil Diamond. The two continued to find success, whether working together or with others, in subsequent decades, scoring hits with an array of artists in various genres through the 1990s.

Read More Here-
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...S5QARJnsu5Oi3Ko4KCpl7kEN_SnEJiqAhYRTbjKMGTDXs

Monkees fans may recall Mann-Weil penning several of theirs including Shades of Gray and Love is Only Sleeping.

Monkees covered Kicks in the '80's. Paul Revere and the Raiders had one of their biggest hits with Kicks over 15 years before. Record w/live vocal on video:

Max Frost & the Troopers (fictional act/REAL SONG) from '68 film Wild in the Streets. Raiders did a KILLER Quad mix on Indian Res. Quad:

Mann-Weil also wrote Hungry for the Raiders. Here's a list of some of their other compositions including On Broadway & Here You Come Again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_written_by_Barry_Mann_and_Cynthia_Weil

Back