DBX 400s, Quad decks and . . .

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadgirl

Since 2002/2003
Hi, everyone. Having had to ingest much headache medicine per Dr. Jon's suggestion from my last thread about continuing problems getting left rear channel to work right, I tried one more thing per QB, Quadfather and others. As I went to re-route equipment to troubleshoot what I thought was a troublesome dbx 400 unit, I actually found TWO MORE CABLES GONE BAD!!! So, good news, seems like activating and working and reworking buttons on all equipment, and finding one bad cable from my akai deck to dbx unit and one bad cable from oppo as routed through cd400 coupled with changing the assignment on the akai to dbx unit to tape one instead of tape two, I have all four channels working on all sources from hi-rez to dts to q8!! Nice, but where I found the patience I don't know. So, QB, no rush if you're reading this on our plan B, but I still want to pursue that avenue. Which brings me to my most pressing question and one I hope many will respond to: What brand of cables do you use to connect all these quad devices? What cables are best at continued working and staying connected? Since we use so many, please don't advise those $550 per inch cables, but if you have experience with a certain type that work well, how about let us in on it? Also, is there anywhere to buy them in bulk to save money? I thought I was doing good with monster cable and some AR cables that held tight, but some AR ones went bad. Is there a cheap fix? Anyway, please share stories about this most basic element of our systems. Any recommendations based on experience would be good. I made a mistake buying some very pretty blue ones that look like high end cables from this lexpro seller on ebay and the ends of some were dangling and exposing wire. Plus the company wouldn't do anything about it, so I paid for 6 and 12 foot pairs of junk that looked good in the picture! UGH! Anyway, even if you do suggest high end, expensive cables, how about post and tell why. I just want to save myself more aggravation in the future. Thanks everyone!!
Laura (Quadgirl):eek::confused:

Hey Quadgirl:
Well, I can't help you with that one. I make my own cables. But you don't need high end cables to get good performance. Just sturdy ones. Most electronics stores sell a good inexpensive cable. They even have multichannel cables (designed for home theater setups) that you can use for quad. A better place to find good cables is an electronics parts supply house. Most fairly large towns will have one. It's where technicians go to get their transistors and capacitors. Happy hunting!

The Quadfather

I have had some success using cables from WalMart. Yeah, I know that WalMart isn't know for high quality, but they do have some good cables in their TV/Stereo section.

MTGC (Michael)

Hi Laura. Cables don't "fail", although they do get broken at the connectors due to being bent too far. It usually happens when a component is connected and then jammed back into an equipment rack or against a wall.

If this is happening, then cables with connectors that can be disassembled (rather than molded plastic) are likely the best approach because you can easily resolder the broken connection. In some cases it is just broken insulation that is causing it to short. Just strip the wire back a bit past the break and resolder the end.

By the way, I am going to be in Lexington next week. Are there any good places to look for used LPs and CDs in your area?

Mike.

Quadzilla, I just emailed you names of two record stores. Now, honestly, I feel like on this board I really know Jon, Quadfather, Quadbob and Paul from England and Bizmopeen, and would hope they'd stop by for a visit if in the vicinity. I guess it is different being a female on one of these mostly male sites, but having read many of your posts and such feel like you'd be a safe visitor, so if while in Lexington you would like to come over for a listening session (my turntable setup is inferior to yours, but a very nice setup anyway), I'd be happy to have your input about my quad system. I've got some good 8 tracks, CD-4s and SQ albums. So consider this an invite (and I'll have at least one local friend over, too). If you end up shopping at Papa Jazz record store, I'm only minutes from there. The only constraints are my job and whatever time limits you have. I don't get home until about 5:00 (though 4:30 on some good days). And, since I get up at 4:40 am to exercise, I really have to be counting sheep and getting my zzzssss in by 10pm-ish on school nights (I'm a teacher), so that means no marathon listening sessions (though my arm can be twisted!). So, if you'd care to come by, and don't mind my also bending your ear about future tweaks and such for my system, I'd love to have you over. I'd love some feedback from a quad person about my system since I know what I like, but have only heard my own system. It could be great fun. Also, I do enjoy wine with my quad and could probably offer a nice, inexpensive red if you imbibe. Other than that, my Southern Hospitality amounts to simple good manners. If interested, pm me and I'll give you my home phone number and address and directions. Whether you have a chance to come by or not, I didn't want to NOT offer. So, let me know. Talk to you later!
Laura (quadgirl):cool:

Back