DVD/DTS Poll Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 40th Anniversary (Ellioitt Scheiner 5.1 Mix) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Derek and the Dominos - LAYLA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Gave it a 9 because not sacd or dvd-a. I sold my sacd version and used it as a down payment for this box. Listening to the DTS version now. It sounds more full than the Dolby Digital mix. What differences should I listen for between the two mixes?

I am still after this titles if anybody wants to swap?
Bought the SACD; thought it was o.k but not great.

Gave it a 9 because not sacd or dvd-a. I sold my sacd version and used it as a down payment for this box. Listening to the DTS version now. It sounds more full than the Dolby Digital mix. What differences should I listen for between the two mixes?

Confused here - the DD & DTS on this disc are the same mixes, with different lossy codecs.
DD sounds, well, like DD does - crappy. The DTS is acceptable although I would have preferred lossless.....

Confused here - the DD & DTS on this disc are the same mixes, with different lossy codecs.
DD sounds, well, like DD does - crappy. The DTS is acceptable although I would have preferred lossless.....

which in turn begs teh question when the blu ray came out in France why was the Emmy Award winning 10 year old mix not put on the disc ?

You're doing it wrong. Ya gotta believe that DTS *must* sound better than DD, because, you know, HIGHER BITRATE MEANS BETTER AMIRIGHT? </drops mic>

You're doing it wrong. Ya gotta believe that DTS *must* sound better than DD, because, you know, HIGHER BITRATE MEANS BETTER AMIRIGHT? </drops mic>

???
DTS sounds better than DD simply because it does not have the aggressive limiters built in to it that DD does with it's mandatory downmix function built in.
Also, DD needs to be playable on n ordinary RF type connector - remember when coaxial was a TV ariel connection? DTS does not have to cope with this, DD does, so when you combine the built-in DRC and the built-in down-mixing, DD decoders can and do bring the hammer down - hard.
The higher bitrate also helps. 448kbps DD goes unidirectional at 15KHz. DTS does not.

???
DTS sounds better than DD simply because it does not have the aggressive limiters built in to it that DD does with it's mandatory downmix function built in.
Also, DD needs to be playable on n ordinary RF type connector - remember when coaxial was a TV ariel connection? DTS does not have to cope with this, DD does, so when you combine the built-in DRC and the built-in down-mixing, DD decoders can and do bring the hammer down - hard.
The higher bitrate also helps. 448kbps DD goes unidirectional at 15KHz. DTS does not.

the last LaserDisc player I bought (around 96/7? Pioneer CLD-D925) delivered Dolby Digital AC-3 via RF coax...

...which then had to be daisy-chained into a diddy little outboard demodulator..
which then went into my processor..
..which then went into my AV amp via 6-ch analogue..
I shall never "complain" about HDMI again..!

15 years ago it took 8 cables and 4 pieces of equipment to achieve basic 5.1 DD.. now with HDMI you can achieve 7.1 Dolby True HD (and the rest!) all with just one cable! woo!!

HDMI isn't perfect (I'm not its biggest fan) but look how far we've come...

and yet (here's my real point.. at last!) we're STILL force-fed lowly basic/core Dolby Digital for 5.1 music and video... technology's moved on, its a shame some of the content providers are stuck in the past (a bit like my RF-powered DolbyD!) ... now that I CAN'T swallow so easily..!!! :mad:@:

It's always something new, isn't it? Used to be the low bitrate compared to DTS (which of course ignored the fact that they are two different perceptual codecs). So now it's 'aggressive limiting' etc. (and unidirectional @ 15kHz might matter to kids, perhaps not to grownups whose HF hearing is typically shot above that). Can you show me that the 5.1 streams of DD, when decoded, are typically displaying 'aggressive limiting'? Not talking about the 2ch downmix here, mind you. The surround stream. That would be a start. Showing that this tends to make DD sound worse than DTS would be a next move-- blind tests for preference required for that.

Been waiting for a few decades now for 'audiophiles' to put up or shut up on such claims (hi rez vs redbook, the gross inferiority of lossy to lossless, the gross inferiority of DD to DTS, etc etc ad nauseam). I can wait some more, but I'm not going to stay quiet when formats are dismissed with extreme prejudice without good reason. Funny thing is that from they way they go on about these differences, the proof of their claims should have been easy to generate long ago.

Been waiting for a few decades now for 'audiophiles' to put up or shut up on such claims (hi rez vs redbook, the gross inferiority of lossy to lossless, the gross inferiority of DD to DTS, etc etc ad nauseam). I can wait some more, but I'm not going to stay quiet when formats are dismissed with extreme prejudice without good reason. Funny thing is that from they way they go on about these differences, the proof of their claims should have been easy to generate long ago.

i'm just curious, would you as well will argue the statement that movie, shot in HD isn't superior in quality to movie in SD? :)

Just got mine last night ($70 from Amazon used). Haven't had a chance to spin it yet, but thought I'd echo the sentiments on the packaging. When I opened mine up, I was staring at 4 discs in the page where the CDs/DVD slide in. Yep, you guessed it, the DVD was the one that wasn't to be found. Dug through the whole box - not to be found. Now officially pissed, I took one last gander at the page where the discs slide in & low & behold found the DVD had slipped down out of its spot & in-between the folds of the two pages. Surprised I didn't scratch with the effort it took to extract it. At any rate looking forward to hopefully giving it a spin tonight while it snows here in Colorado... :)

It looks like a lot of the "known" 2 channel Blu-ray Audio disks are misrepresented on Acousticsounds. They claim the Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley and Supertramp Blu-rays are 5.1 as well. A couple reviews on the Amazon.uk site confirm Layla is 2-channel only, unfortunately.

Pity. They just lost my dollars.

By the way sukothai, have recently been reading your LFE discussions elsewhere. Great stuff!

See you around!

It looks like a lot of the "known" 2 channel Blu-ray Audio disks are misrepresented on Acousticsounds. They claim the Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley and Supertramp Blu-rays are 5.1 as well. A couple reviews on the Amazon.uk site confirm Layla is 2-channel only, unfortunately.

I just phoned Acoustic Sounds directly to advise them of the problem listings. I asked them to audit their listings, so that the titles could all be correctly be represented for sale. The woman I spoke with was a little hesitant to make promises that they would all be checked, which I found to be surprising since misrepresentation is bound to lead to a customer service issue and returns. But I did advise on the titles above, as well as John Coltrane A Love Supreme. Any one else certain about the others?

See you around.

Mine arrived today in a bad condition. :(
Front cover is scratched....ok
Badge is broken....ok
Clotted DVD. I have to clean it at home and hope it plays well :howl

Oh man. Some people don't like their things. I can not understand what did the pre-owner with this box.

I report back in the evening.

The DVD WORKS! I'm really glad.
I vote 8 compared to other surround mixes.

The sound is dull but even ES cannot change source material too much.
It is definately the best Layla mix I've heard.
:)

Back