Digital formats played through quad amp question(s)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles18721

I am a new owner of a Sansui QRX 5500 and I'm learning as much as I can about the different formats old and new. I would like to know if it is possible or worth it at all to play a DTS or SACD version of a recording through the decoder in the amp. My setup has my computer sending out 4 channels to the amp front L+R and rear L+R. I've been downloading some Pink Floyd(for example) DTS stuff that was taken from the original quad album and is now a Flac or aiff file. Are these worth playing through the decoder? Do I need a certain software player that will play 4 channels? Would I set the amp to regular (QS) matrix mode? Can somebody set me straight? Thank you

If you have 4 channel material that's already separated out, then you would connect it to the 4 channel inputs.

The Sansui will not "decode" anything on a DTS CD or SACD. If you demux the DTS CD into 4 channels, just pump them into the receiver as if it were a Q8 output, and set the receiver to 4CH IN.

Back