A modern A/V receiver as an alternative to buying a vintage quad receiver: Denon AVR-3802

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up one of these for $20

https://av-receivers.net/denon/denon-avr-2112ci-review/
Impressive set of features: component in to HDMI video conversion, native 2496 FLAC support, networking, USB port for thumbdrive, 7.1 sound, yada yada

90 watts per channel looked optimistic to me: but checking the service manual/schematic & verifying inside, it has 7 identical output sections. So it doesn't just have strong fronts & lesser surrounds. It may well be. Massive power transformer.

No multichannel analog ins, so the Surroundmaster won't interface with it, but I have a separate setup for the SM.

My Anthem pre/pro also has only one set of MCH analog inputs. I have 4 MCH sources. The solution is a Zektor. Many posts about it here.
Thank you for mentioning the Zektor. That would be a good solution if I needed to add additional MCH (Quad) analog inputs to my Denon AVR.

I have very recently replaced my AVR-2801 with an AVR-X2800H. It can do the same as your 3802, as it also has the analogue ins and pre-outs.
Still have it, but do not have any of these old Quad players. After having had it for a mighty long time I somehow cannot part with it…
Has ondeed always worked flawlessly.
View attachment 98357View attachment 98358
DON'T part with it! It's built better, and sounds better, than a lot of the new models available today. That's one reason why I still have, and use, my AVR-3300.

Thank you for mentioning the Zektor. That would be a good solution if I needed to add additional MCH (Quad) analog inputs to my Denon AVR.
My Anthem pre/pro also has only one set of MCH analog inputs. I have 4 MCH sources. The solution is a Zektor. Many posts about it here.
The Zektor sounds like a better option for me, too. Where can you get it?

The Zektor sounds like a better option for me, too. Where can you get it?
I would search eBay.

Apparently Zektor has been bought up by US-based Pulse-Eight.
https://www.cepro.com/news/pulse_eight_acquires_zektor_av_distribution_product/
When things were changing to HDMI from component video there were a lot of switch boxes for sale at rock bottom prices. They usually switch two channels of audio and the three component video signals, so good for up to five channels, some have a connection for composite video as well so good for up to 6 channels. You should be able to find something suitable if you look long enough.

As an avid DIYer I would build my own, or better still build an op-amp based mixer with multiple multichannel inputs. I have used such a system since the late seventies!

I would search eBay.

Apparently Zektor has been bought up by US-based Pulse-Eight.
https://www.cepro.com/news/pulse_eight_acquires_zektor_av_distribution_product/
When things were changing to HDMI from component video there were a lot of switch boxes for sale at rock bottom prices. They usually switch two channels of audio and the three component video signals, so good for up to five channels, some have a connection for composite video as well so good for up to 6 channels. You should be able to find something suitable if you look long enough.

As an avid DIYer I would build my own, or better still build an op-amp based mixer with multiple multichannel inputs. I have used such a system since the late seventies!
Ya beat me to it Ken. I was just about to post essentially the same thing. There is one on Ebay right now that would do the trick:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2853770975...T5F3kE9IrWkgyuPYOaaH5RpczR|tkp:Bk9SR9KL3or9Yg
It comes with the power supply but says no remote. That's not a problem as there are push buttons to select. And Zektor has a clever way of learning how to work with your remote anyway.

After playing around with the AVR-2112 I like it. I don't have the Denon microphone to run the calibration though: does anyone know what kind of mic it uses? Will any generic mic work?

Otherwise the USB plug on the front is super useful. I have been putting 2496 FLAC files on a thumbdrive & using it as a media player.

I wish it could play multichannel FLAC/WAV files though!! It only recognizes stereo format. Has anyone hacked the firmware on these Denon receivers? It seems to only work with HDMI sources of multichannel audio. Which I haven't got around to testing yet....nor the networking file sharing. With USB it's nice not to need a PC running to play files.

I just bought two Zektor HDS4.2's when the seller offered me a good deal for both. I think that I'll use them to hook up some of my vintage decoders instead of using the Russound QT-1 patch panel which I'll save for use with my tape machines.

Not as pretty as the Zektor but for less money you can use the very same switch that I was using with my bedroom set-up. Search eBay for Philips SWS2325W/17 .

I didn't know that it was made for Philips as my unit bears no such brand name anywhere. I recommend it if you need switching for up to six channels. It is a purely passive unit. The signal just passes through a set of switch contacts. I paid $10 (or maybe less) for mine at a thrift shop.

I don't use input 1 as it lacks the Component video connections and so is only good for 2 or 3 channels. If you can find adaptor cables you could use the S-Video inputs as well to add two more channels.

Some picture of the inside of mine.
S-VideoSW.jpg
S-VideoBoardTop.jpg
S-VideoBoard.jpg

Well, good news on the AVR-2112: it plays back multichannel audio via HDMI from my PC!

I was not expecting that to work. So I can rip my blurays & just play the files from a hard drive. And test surround mixes through something other than studio monitors. Woohoo!

Nice one... Which software media players have you tried?

Thanks! Foobar for audio, mediaplayer classic for blurays. I use Reaper for recording: haven't tried it's output via HDMI though. Kind of a pain to switch devices so I probably won't bother, since the others work.

Funny enough, my version of VLC won't play any bluray discs. But it's an ancient version: I'm still using windows 7 OS & old hardware.

HDCP is listed as "not supported" which is why I assumed HDMI into the Denon wouldn't work. But maybe that's why it does work? Anyway I'm not complaining!

I wanted to share a positive experience I had with purchasing a modern A/V receiver as an alternative to buying a vintage quad receiver.

For those who are wondering why I would consider a modern A/V receiver over a vintage quad receiver, the reasons are initial cost and repair/maintenance and probably better sound quality with newer technology in general.

I found a Denon AVR-3802 at a local flea market.

This had ANALOG multi-channel inputs and ANALOG multi-channel pre-outs as well. Also, when selecting the multi-channel input mode, the receiver will let you control the volume AND still let you use the bass and treble controls. The pre-outs can be set to be variable or fixed output too. All "surround sound" modes are automatically-disabled when in multi-channel analog mode which is fine by me. I want pure/discrete quad.

Keep in mind this solution is only good for DISCRETE QUAD sources that do not require any decoding. Examples: Quad reel-to-reel or Quad 8-track. (Even though you could certainly add external decoders such as CD-4 or SQ if you wish).

I paid $60 for this receiver that is being used ONLY for my QUAD sources. I am very happy with the sound quality of my quad reel-to-reel tapes through it.

I feel this saved me a LOT of time/effort/money for this quad solution. I also used a dual-amp speaker selector switch so I could use my current home theater speakers that are connected to my other home-theater receiver so I didn't have to buy more speakers for this solution.View attachment 98300View attachment 98301View attachment 98302
Wow! I didn’t read this prior to my post this morning. It is such an interesting alternative to maintaining vintage equipment and I may actually get to this point in the future. I would have to figure out playback of cd-4 and such. Anyway, I have seen that switcher in Youtube videos. Would that work between a vintage Sansui 9001 and a Denon from 2010? I would hate to fry any electronics. Plus, not sure how I could use it, but was curious about your opinion. Thanks for sharing your approach. Love that you have quad reels. I am about to sell my Stereo Akai deck - i have loved playing people’s home taped reels, but many are dirty or from smoked in homes and require too much maintenance cleaning heads. Too bad - it was my favorite medium and so much fun to see how people chise to mix and match music! I love the music and equipment in this hobby! Take care,

Back