HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
Mike: I too lean towards the "like to hear music I like in surround" side of the spectrum (as opposed to "like/love surround as a format in its own right"). That said, I don't have a whole lot invested in Brothers (although I like it well enough), so I've got no strong opinion on the surround mix vs. the original stereo mix. I do know, though, that running Audyssey has always made my system sound like crap...

Audyssey works as a guide....not the end result IMO...there are just too many room configurations and material/fabric differences that can influence the sound...although if you believe the marketing dept that's no problem....

Yeah, could be for me, who knows. I set up levels using Audyssey and then trimmed using a SPL meter on an Android app, IIRC. I don't use the dynamic EQ as it seems to interfere with the rear levels significantly in my experience. I can't speak for others. It could be down to personal taste too. I also find the polls frustrating at times.

In your case I'm leaning toward equipment...it doesn't seem likely that it's taste...it's hard to imagine you being so far from the norms...on this poll there were 216 votes cast...a staggering 142 were perfect 10's..and another 49 were 9s...so that's 191 out of 216 in the elite category...and when I used to participate in the polls...anything from 7 to 10 would usually get my recommendation for purchase...so now we are up to 206 votes out of 216...so your "taste" doesn't appear to be the real reason...what complicates this poll thread is that it covers 2 different formats...so some voter might have trouble with the dual disc or SACD format...and from personal experience I have had trouble with some formats even when the same mix is used...they don't always sound the same way...but in your case you used a SACD...which makes this less likely and to go down as far as a 3 is something unexpected..

What was the final straw for me on voting on the polls was a legendary album on the blu ray format was given a 1...so when you consider the usual guidelines of content...fidelity...and mix..this poster must have thought that this album..which is considered by some as the greatest album of all time...but definitely in the top 10 of all time.. sucked so bad that he could only give it 1 point...which means 0 points for fidelity...0 for the mix and just 1 for the content...after that I just realized it was useless taking part in the poll system...it gets too frustrating...I just realized that I have nothing in common with someone like that...now he's on my ignore list and I don't have to suffer from his "observations"...btw...you questioned this poster's vote as well:D

Last edited:
In your case I'm leaning toward equipment...it doesn't seem likely that it's taste...it's hard to imagine you being so far from the norms...on this poll there were 216 votes cast...a staggering 142 were perfect 10's..and another 49 were 9s...so that's 191 out of 216 in the elite category...and when I used to participate in the polls...anything from 7 to 10 would usually get my recommendation for purchase...so now we are up to 206 votes out of 216...so your "taste" doesn't appear to be the real reason...what complicates this poll thread is that it covers 2 different formats...so some voter might have trouble with the dual disc or SACD format...and from personal experience I have had trouble with some formats even when the same mix is used...they don't always sound the same way...but in your case you used a SACD...which makes this less likely and to go down as far as a 3 is something unexpected..

What was the final straw for me on voting on the polls was a legendary album on the blu ray format was given a 1...so when you consider the usual guidelines of content...fidelity...and mix..this poster must have thought that this album..which is considered by some as the greatest album of all time...but definitely in the top 10 of all time.. sucked so bad that he could only give it 1 point...which means 0 points for fidelity...0 for the mix and just 1 for the content...after that I just realized it was useless taking part in the poll system...it gets too frustrating...I just realized that I have nothing in common with someone like that...now he's on my ignore list and I don't have to suffer from his "observations"...btw...you questioned this poster's vote as well:D
Why do you worry what other people are doing in the Polls? Because it ruins the Polls? I always thought you were.....wait..........you are a better person than that! Are you not? You are letting this affect you on a personal level. I’m not trying to tell you what to do (not your Parent) but my suggestion is to lighten up and have fun here. That’s what it’s all about. And let me say, most of us appreciate every single Post you make on QQ even if we don’t agree with everything you say. Remember...we all deal with different personalities. Some may like one thing and not another. We all need to respect that.

Why do you worry what other people are doing in the Polls? Because it ruins the Polls? I always thought you were.....wait..........you are a better person than that! Are you not? You are letting this affect you on a personal level. I’m not trying to tell you what to do (not your Parent) but my suggestion is to lighten up and have fun here. That’s what it’s all about. And let me say, most of us appreciate every single Post you make on QQ even if we don’t agree with everything you say. Remember...we all deal with different personalities. Some may like one thing and not another. We all need to respect that.

You are right about one thing...it's supposed to be fun...and when it's not...you have to change things up...so that's my way of making an adjustment...and rather than disrespect someone or something(the polls)...out of sight..out of mind works in this case:cool:

You are right about one thing...it's supposed to be fun...and when it's not...you have to change things up...so that's my way of making an adjustment...and rather than disrespect someone or something(the polls)...out of sight..out of mind works in this case:cool:
I respect that!

Now, I’m going to all the Polls and voting a “1”. 😜

Clint and I keep our own personal polls. Since voters have wildly diverse sound systems, players and most especially tastes, it's best to keep voting in a 'stream of consciousness vein.' My #1 album is the controversial Beatles LOVE album and by controversial, so many posters consider it a 'bastardized' Fab Four album because it took some liberties with classic Beatles songs .... but I kept reminding everyone it was especially created for a Cirque de Soleil Vegas musical and was a 'cast album.'

What's the use of nit~pickin'? Clinty and I both have our personal 10's and Nos. 1~25 etched in our consciousness with new additions made monthly [yearly], etc. Example: D~V's two~fer Poco mch SACD [Cantamos/Seven] is a new contender for MY TOP 10 and only an embarrassing few votes were cast! Anathema!:LOL:

Last edited:
Clint and I keep our own personal polls. Since voters have wildly diverse sound systems, players and most especially tastes, it's best to keep voting in a 'stream of consciousness vein.' My #1 album is the controversial Beatles LOVE album and by controversial, so many posters consider it a 'bastardized' Fab Four album because it took some liberties with classic Beatles songs .... but I kept reminding everyone it was especially created for a Cirque de Soleil Vegas musical and was a 'cast album.'

What's the use of nit~pickin'? Clinty and I both have our personal 10's and Nos. 1~25 etched in our consciousness with new additions made monthly [yearly], etc. Example: D~V's two~fer Poco mch SACD [Cantamos/Seven] is a new contender for MY TOP 10 and only an embarrassing few votes were cast! Anathema!:LOL:
I get it! Decided not to go along with the status quo.

As far as the Poco two-fer disc, with the exception of two of their ‘popular’ later albums which are good and I have, I’m not sure too many of us purchased them. 🤔

I get it! Decided not to go along with the status quo.

As far as the Poco two-fer disc, with the exception of two of their ‘popular’ later albums which are good and I have, I’m not sure too many of us purchased them. 🤔

Believe me, Perp, I was never a big Poco fan [I have Crazyo_O Eyes on DTS 5.1 RBCD...and yes, it needs an SACD upgrade] so I played Cantamos/Seven cold. I sat at rapt attention for the entirety of the two~fer and was blown away. Not only is the sound and QUAD mix EXQUISITE, but I thoroughly enjoyed the musicianship which I even admitted spoiled it for me when I played Styx The Mission next.

A HIGH recommendation for fans of country rock and the way a QUAD album should be remixed, textbook~style!

...running Audyssey...

I've tried different settings on it, in terms of bypassing EQ for L/R, bypassing it altogether, and using the EQ settings. It's fine enough. Using the wrong set-up mic (I had two at one point) gives bad results though. Dynamic EQ is where the main trouble is for me with Audyssey.

In your case I'm leaning toward equipment...it doesn't seem likely that it's taste...

...so when you consider the usual guidelines of content...fidelity...and mix..this poster must have thought that this album..which is considered by some as the greatest album of all time...but definitely in the top 10 of all time.. sucked so bad that he could only give it 1 point...which means 0 points for fidelity...0 for the mix and just 1 for the content...after that I just realized it was useless taking part in the poll system...it gets too frustrating...I just realized that I have nothing in common with someone like that...now he's on my ignore list and I don't have to suffer from his "observations"...btw...you questioned this poster's vote as well:D

Clint, unless you know very well the sound of every component in my system and the room it's in I'm not sure you can judge it as a system issue. If you look at my voting record you will see that I tend vote on the lower end of things because I think something has to be really, really good to merit a ten. I have a wide spectrum of scores (from 2 to 10 IIRC), but there appear to be people who vote high up a lot of the time - where's the objectivity in that? That seems to be a "I really love surround sound, and this release is in surround sound!" or "I love this band: everything they do is a ten!" which is perhaps to be expected in a hobby site but is not necessarily helpful either. I don't follow the content/fidelity/mix guidelines (I don't think this is new news) and they are only guidelines rather than rules, and I attempt to justify my scores in all cases.

I also don't subscribe to worshipping the work of an engineer/band and decreeing they can do no wrong (I'm not saying that you do, BTW). If everything was like five and below then I think it could be put down to a system issue or perhaps even not liking surround sound, but it's not, so I think that gives plenty of scope for taste and an attempt to give some proportion between releases. I'm not ruling out system dependence being a bigger deal for some mixes, but someone posted an article on different engineers approaches to 5.1 and if the engineers don't all agree then surely the listeners won't either? And yes, I'm not above questioning other people's votes as you have spotted - even (especially?) high ones!

In other news, it appears that I'm not currently on your ignore list!

Last edited:
Clint, unless you know very well the sound of every component in my system and the room it's in I'm not sure you can judge it as a system issue. If you look at my voting record you will see that I tend vote on the lower end of things because I think something has to be really, really good to merit a ten. I have a wide spectrum of scores (from 2 to 10 IIRC), but there appear to be people who vote high up a lot of the time - where's the objectivity in that? That seems to be a "I really love surround sound, and this release is in surround sound!" or "I love this band: everything they do is a ten!" which is perhaps to be expected in a hobby site but is not necessarily helpful either. I don't follow the content/fidelity/mix guidelines (I don't think this is new news) and they are only guidelines rather than rules, and I attempt to justify my scores in all cases.

I also don't subscribe to worshipping the work of an engineer/band and decreeing they can do no wrong (I'm not saying that you do, BTW). If everything was like five and below then I think it could be put down to a system issue or perhaps even not liking surround sound, but it's not, so I think that gives plenty of scope for taste and an attempt to give some proportion between releases. I'm not ruling out system dependence being a bigger deal for some mixes, but someone posted an article on different engineers approaches to 5.1 and if the engineers don't all agree then surely the listeners won't either? And yes, I'm not above questioning other people's votes as you have spotted - even (especially?) high ones!

In other news, it appears that I'm not currently on your ignore list!

Hey Mike,

Just out of interest which albums do you think are the better mixes, ones that you voted 9 or 10? A bit baffled that you gave a 3 for Brothers In Arms. o_O Is it about not matching your expections from knowing it as a stereo title? Anyway we’re all entitled to our opinions just a bit sad don’t you don’t like this mix, I feel like you’re missing out on a great one dude...

Well I have to say personally I think this is one of the greatest surround albums out there, a slam dunk ‘10’ for me... This would also have to feature in the top 10 surround albums as well. I’ve played it a lot so I don’t always spin nowadays but it really amazing!!! :love:

I listened to the DVD~A [dualdisc] 5.1 tonight on my main system and freaked out all over again. An astounding, you are there, theatrical experience. A gorgeous album. Graceland was similarly recorded DDD PCM and I can only imagine how the 5.1 mix [if it EVER transpires] will sound.

I've explained my thinking about BIA enough now: it's in this thread at least twice if you want to find it. I gave Rumours a 10, I'm not particularly keen on it as an album in stereo and even less keen on what it is a document of, but as a mix and what it brings to the table musically within that (such as different elements unheard in the stereo mix) and the extras I thought it was in a different league to many other discs. I really liked the slightly revised sequencing too.

Last edited:
...after that I just realized it was useless taking part in the poll system...it gets too frustrating...I just realized that I have nothing in common with someone like that...
This is how I feel at every election, Clint, but you have to keep participating... your vote can turn that "1" into a "5" (assuming your vote is a 10)! Don't give up... we need the voices of reason, lol!

I had "So far away" playing in my head on Thursday which made me look up the MCH disc in Discogs... $45... Which one to get, the SACD or the DualDisc? I am more of the DD kind...
No, don't smack me.. I have never heard this in MCH.. yes I know,,heathen...oh well
I am guessing no one is willing to part with thei Dual Disc... or are they??
PM me!

Back