DS Audio optical cartridges/phono stages: suitable/better for CD-4?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting cartridge and highly regarded by many audiophiles. Technically it should be able to track up to 45 kHz or above but it needs a dedicated Phono Preamp from DS Audio. The common RIAA MM/MI/MC amps won't work with this. Then there is the question whether the DS Audio Phono Stage cuts off frequencies above say 25 kHz or so. But I'm only suggesting!

I can't offer any guidance on this subject except to say that I have heard of QQ member @aludra having success with laser reproduction of CD-4. Perhaps he'll see the tag and chime in. My recollection is that he got it to work quite well after some extensive preamp modification.

This just came across my YouTube recommendations:

Here's the manufacturer's webpage for the DS003. Frequency response isn't mentioned, but the subjective review suggests it may extend high enough. What do you think, vinyl heads?

Well, he did mention that frequency response extends a little over 20kHz, which won't take you to CD-4 territory. There was no mention of the stylus shape or tracking forces, so it might be a crap shoot. Of course, it's also possible to modify the "phono stage" that the cartridge needs so it doesn't include RIAA EQ, allowing the CD-4 carrier to be demodulated.

Sounds like an expensive experiment. The cartridge just might fit in with my new turntable project, though. It's an interesting concept, and the reviewer really likes the way it sounds.

I can't offer any guidance on this subject except to say that I have heard of QQ member @aludra having success with laser reproduction of CD-4.
@Jerfo has also used the ELP laser turntable to great effect for CD-4. By contrast, this cartridge uses a traditional stylus and simply generates an optical signal, whereas the ELP shines a laser into the groove and picks up the reflections. Both are "optical" devices, but use entirely different pickup designs.

@Jerfo has also used the ELP laser turntable to great effect for CD-4. By contrast, this cartridge uses a traditional stylus and simply generates an optical signal, whereas the ELP shines a laser into the groove and picks up the reflections. Both are "optical" devices, but use entirely different pickup designs.
Yes. I saw that after watching a portion of the video

I can't offer any guidance on this subject except to say that I have heard of QQ member @aludra having success with laser reproduction of CD-4. Perhaps he'll see the tag and chime in. My recollection is that he got it to work quite well after some extensive preamp modification.
The DS Cartridge does not work with Lase or any other beams, it tracks LP's like any other Pick Up with a diamond needle. Instead of a moving magnet or coil it has a diode detecting the movement inside. Therefore the cartridge needs a separate current to work.

The DS Cartridge does not work with Lase or any other beams, it tracks LP's like any other Pick Up with a diamond needle. Instead of a moving magnet or coil it has a diode detecting the movement inside. Therefore the cartridge needs a separate current to work.
With that groovy (sorry) little headlight on the cartridge, it’s pretty clear it needs a power source. Again, very cool idea, though. It has a strong chance of being on my “one of these days” list.

With that groovy (sorry) little headlight on the cartridge, it’s pretty clear it needs a power source. Again, very cool idea, though. It has a strong chance of being on my “one of these days” list.
You could darken your audio room and play choo choo sounds while the cartridge trudges around an LP, ever shining it's little light to brighten the track ahead.
Actually that sounds pretty cool! Sounds like something @ar surround needs to go with his model train layout!

Philco had this in the 1940s.

philbeam.jpg

For some weird reason, I couldn't see post 11 when I posted.

I wonder if that works on phantom power as electret mics do.

Back