DSOTM & WYWH Immersion 4.0 Blu-Ray Issues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose this is the correct forum for this problem so here goes. I’ve had these two Pink Floyd Immersion boxes since they came out but had always listened to the 5.1 mixes with no problems. However, yesterday I decided to listen to the quad version of Wish You Were Here and discovered I had no rear channels. Tried DSOTM and had the same issue. I then put in the DVD discs also in the sets with the 4.0 and the quad mixes worked fine on the same Blu-ray player.

On the same player I have lis to all four of the first batch of Quadio BR’s with no problems as well as Vocalion multichannel SACD’s. Quad and Atmos streaming work as expected also through my receiver. Any idea what I could be missing as far as setup or do I have two separate discs with the same defect?

Equipment is Sony UBP-X800M2 Blu-Ray player via HDMI into Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 receiver. Speaker setup is 5.1.2.

I suppose this is the correct forum for this problem so here goes. I’ve had these two Pink Floyd Immersion boxes since they came out but had always listened to the 5.1 mixes with no problems. However, yesterday I decided to listen to the quad version of Wish You Were Here and discovered I had no rear channels. Tried DSOTM and had the same issue. I then put in the DVD discs also in the sets with the 4.0 and the quad mixes worked fine on the same Blu-ray player.

On the same player I have lis to all four of the first batch of Quadio BR’s with no problems as well as Vocalion multichannel SACD’s. Quad and Atmos streaming work as expected also through my receiver. Any idea what I could be missing as far as setup or do I have two separate discs with the same defect?

Equipment is Sony UBP-X800M2 Blu-Ray player via HDMI into Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 receiver. Speaker setup is 5.1.2.
Some media player apps and stand alone disc player devices are only programmed to recognize 2.0 or 5.1 and none of the official formats in between like 4.0. The in-betweens were never meant to be depreciated. Some software is just buggy or unfinished that way.

You can convert the files to 5.1 format with digital blank C and Lfe channels as a workaround. FYI, flac files with extra silent channels stay the same size, which is nice.

This is a quick ffmpeg command to convert a folder of files to 6 channel. Input can be 4.0, 4.1, or 5.0 and the output file has the channels land correctly. cd (change directory) to the folder with the files first.

Convert to 6 ch 5.1 without deleting the original files:
Code:
IFS=$'\n'; for FILE in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i $FILE -ac 6 ${FILE%.*}-QUAD5.1.flac; done

Convert to 6 ch 5.1 and DELETE the original files:
Code:
IFS=$'\n'; for FILE in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i $FILE -ac 6 ${FILE%.*}-QUAD5.1.flac; rm $FILE; done

That 1st cryptic bit is to force ffmpeg to respect spaces in multiple word song titles. Otherwise it sees the 1st space as the end of the song name. The last bit at the end appends "-QUAD5.1" to the file name. "Song 1.flac" becomes "Song 1-QUAD5.1.flac". Alter that how you wish.

So if you play with a disc player...
This would be a pile of work! Rip the disc to flac. Convert the flac files. Author a new disc. PITA for sure. But this would get you access to your music you paid for without being forced to buy new hardware. And maybe you end up liking using a computer to serve music.

NOTE!
Mac user here. This should work in Linux too.
Not sure about Windows. Might just be changing the "\" to "/" or there might be more or might be something else. Windows command line is unique. But HomerJAU has this Windows-only Music Media Helper that I believe includes this and most of the features found in XLD and a few other things!

Last edited:
Back