DTS and EMI team up

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy Robinson said:
Let's hope that they put some time into each title and just don't take a DSP approach.

I think that Most of the DTS DVD-A's have been pretty much benchmarks for quality so far. Both Queen Titles and the Frank Zappa discs spring to mind, involving as much as possible the original artists (Or children) and producers.
With EMI's Catalogue (Beatles :sun , Pink Floyd :alien: ) the Virgin and chrysalis labels this could be very good for the DVD-A format! :p

Oh, man, that’s good news! I hope the artists involved see the potential in the format and sign on…just think, Beatles, Beach Boys, Radiohead (I’d love to hear “The Bends” in multichannel, meself…) Let’s just hope they put some care into these discs and don’t just Silverline them…(Hey, I just think I made “Silverline” a verb.)

bizmopeen said:
(Hey, I just think I made “Silverline” a verb.)

Yeah, you don't want them "engaging in Silverlinery."

What is that, intransitive adverb? :)

"To Silverline, or not to Silverline, that is the question"

I think DTS has proven themselves with their past releases. Even the older ones were actual from actual quad tapes and not just reprocessed crap. I was actually excited by this news. Maybe some really great music will start coming out (new and old) in surround. I really can't think of a badly done DTS title.

DTS always made decent titles, WHEN they finally came out.

Worse case: EMI pricing with DTS release pattern (1 or 2 winners, then lesser titles trotted out late) :(

Best case: EMI breaks out the big gun titles recognizing that they aren't going to do themselves. These will be worth the wait! ;)

I find the comments interesting. In my experience both outfits have never issued a "hi rez" release, even the DVD's were 20/44 resolution, and the EMI classical releases apparently didn't use multi=track masters, another system was used "in house" and frankly I found them the least enjoyable of any classical releases, except for Hodie's slow conductor, M. Cobra, which I wrote off after buying three Mozart releases on which he was still practicing his doctoral thesis.

ct said:
I find the comments interesting. In my experience both outfits have never issued a "hi rez" release, even the DVD's were 20/44 resolution, and the EMI classical releases apparently didn't use multi=track masters, another system was used "in house" and frankly I found them the least enjoyable of any classical releases, except for Hodie's slow conductor, M. Cobra, which I wrote off after buying three Mozart releases on which he was still practicing his doctoral thesis.

I guess maybe you wouldn't call those DTS titles hi-rez, however, they are still discrete multichannel mixes and that's what I find appealing about DTS. They seem to actually care about the real multichannel aspect of their titles. And I have never heard a bad quality release from them. Maybe the mixes weren't top notch (quite a few quad titles from the 70's were less than stellar IMO) but the quality is there.

I am not so much interested in "hi-rez" as much as I am in true multichannel mixes. Not like the titles that Silverline has released that are stereo up front with no discrete info in the rears, just a hall reverb effect.

Bob, I do not disagree with your comments re multichannel from DTS. I have three, and they are OK. My point: if they and EMI are going to do DVD-Audio they should do it right, and that includes hi rez in addition to well done multichannel. The smaller labels, AIX, Tacet, MDG, are able to do this, and do it well. So why not the larger labels? As stated before, Silverline has done a few original pieces well, Phat Band is one. As for their other stuff, I stopped buying it a long time ago.

What's up with DTS discs not truly being hi-rez? All of their newer DVD-A releases most certainly are true hi-rez, if you consider 24/96 MLP surround being "true hi-rez". As for some of their older releases, originally issued as DTS titles and subsequently released in the DVD-A format, these titles offer the resolution that the titles were originally mastered at. For example, the "Toy Matinee" disc (an incredibly awsome, demo-worthy title, in my opinion) was originally released in surround as a DTS disc. The DVD-A re-release offers the surround tracks in 24/44.1. Does this mean the disc is not hi-rez? Well, that's open to interpretation, but I think it is a "true" hi-rez release. I would rather have the original 24/44.1 tracks than the same thing upsampled to 24/96.

With that said, perhaps you are talking about DTS' treatment of the stereo tracks? In this case you have a valid argument. I've always been confused as to why they've chosen to "dumb down" the stereo tracks, usually relegating them to Dolby Digtal 2.0 (the absolute worst choice, short of MP3). I think the reasons are primarily political. In any case, this hasn't bothered me since I have not been keen on the stereo tracks of their DVD-A titles released to date (with the Exception of Queen).

In any event, I have great faith in DTS as a company, and I find their partnership with EMI very exciting. I am guessing that EMI will have a very positive influence on the nature of these releases, which will most certainly lead to the inclusion of hi-rez stereo tracks. It would be foolish for there to be any other outcome. Yes, I am very optimisic about this partnership and expect the results to be exceptional!

Same has been argued for Universal's DVD-As not all being hi-rez. I mean, I think discs like Fagen's "Nightfly" which is 48 sounds great. If DTS can help EMI improve the quality of their hi-rez releases, DVD-A or SACD, I'm all for it.

FenderP said:
Same has been argued for Universal's DVD-As not all being hi-rez. I mean, I think discs like Fagen's "Nightfly" which is 48 sounds great. If DTS can help EMI improve the quality of their hi-rez releases, DVD-A or SACD, I'm all for it.

Yeah, Nightfly was a digital recording and was released in the resolution it was recorded at. What more can you ask for? I think anything beyond 16/44.1 can be considered "hi-rez". Yeah, sure, some resolutions are "higher" than others, but so what? I don't want some artifically inflated resolution just to get the numbers up. Know what I mean?

Hi,
One of the best features of "Dts Entertainment Discs" is that you can access every mode from the front page of the UI and don't have to go to a separate dvd-v machine.

Peter m.

FenderP said:

DTS will not release anything in SACD and if you read carfully in the press release, they are talking about DVD Audio - ONLY! :sun

Jesper said:
DTS will not release anything in SACD and if you read carfully in the press release, they are talking about DVD Audio - ONLY! :sun
I know that; DTS is DVD-A only. EMI is not. Again, this isn't a DVD-A vs. SACD thread. Both are good, viable formats.

You'd think that they'd at least drop a name or tow, tease us with a popular title or something.

Oh yeah, DTS used to do that routinely and never deliver on them. Maybe they've learned something... ;)

Back