DTS-HD not far off now

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Just heard that the long awaited DTS-HD format encoder is about to enter the beta stage.
Shouldn't be too long now before there is an alternative to MLP Lossless in DTS flavour.

This will finally allow use of lossless High Rez audio in DVD-V as well as DVD-A.
Should be fun. I hope the extension is still .dts, although we will have to wait & see I guess.

Any specs of what could be possible with dts-hd?
Will it work only on the new hd-dvd/bluray or also in the "ordinary" dvd format we already have?

Here is the info "straight from the horses mouth" as it were.

Yes, you will need a new player (HD DVD or BluRay) and a new amp to decode the DTS-HD Master Audio, as it is now called. Your current amp will be able to decode the DTS core from the DTS-HD bitstream, which is your good old DTS 5.1, ES or 96/24 lossy, as we know it today. New amp will add the Lossless extension and presto: there is you Lossless, in 2.0, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1, all in 96/24.

Looks like Dolby True HD has a serious rival. Add this to WMA Pro Lossless with 5.1 at 24/96 supported, and also factor in that WMA Pro Lossless is there for free, and I think Dolby are going to have a tough time of it with True HD at $8,000 a throw.

hmmm, sounds like 8 channel switchers could be profitable for someone - as long as they are priced less than a new pre/pro or receiver with the new decoding.

neil wilkes said:
Here is the info "straight from the horses mouth" as it were.

Yes, you will need a new player (HD DVD or BluRay) and a new amp to decode the DTS-HD Master Audio, as it is now called. Your current amp will be able to decode the DTS core from the DTS-HD bitstream, which is your good old DTS 5.1, ES or 96/24 lossy, as we know it today. New amp will add the Lossless extension and presto: there is you Lossless, in 2.0, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1, all in 96/24.

Looks like Dolby True HD has a serious rival. Add this to WMA Pro Lossless with 5.1 at 24/96 supported, and also factor in that WMA Pro Lossless is there for free, and I think Dolby are going to have a tough time of it with True HD at $8,000 a throw.

At CES, DTS-HD sounded better than Dolby's True HD that is said to be "based on MLP".

But then again, the DTS audio set up was far superior to Dolby's so who knows what the actual in-home results will be.

Back