DVD Audio Extractor possible issues with latest version?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't Auro3D a matrixed format, which is why it can be carried in a normal PCM 5.1 stream? FLAC should preserve it entirely.
Yes, I'm not sure if it's matrixed or not but Auro3D doesn't require any special handling to preserve it in flac. Also any player I've used that is capable of 5.1 playback will pass along the Auro info for decoding in an equipped AVR. In my experience with both a Marantz pre/pro and my current Denon X4700H it's not automatically recognized and you have to choose it from the mode menus.

Yes, I'm not sure if it's matrixed or not but Auro3D doesn't require any special handling to preserve it in flac. Also any player I've used that is capable of 5.1 playback will pass along the Auro info for decoding in an equipped AVR. In my experience with both a Marantz pre/pro and my current Denon X4700H it's not automatically recognized and you have to choose it from the mode menus.
Likewise with the Smyth Realiser A16.

What? He seems confused ???
I rip Blurays with Auro 3D tracks to 5.1 flac all the time and they've decoded and played back just fine.
Been doing it for a number of years now.
wow man, I'm one that certainly did not know if you rip the audio from an Auro-3D title, that particular flac rip will then trigger the Auro-3D within my Denon. Automatically?? Just like a disc would?

Are there any Auro3D tracks delivered with more than 6 channels? Like I said, as a (presumably) matrixed format, I've only ever seen it in a 5.1 container.
The latest Boris Blanc "Resonance" for example. Auro-3D 11.1 (7.1.4) 48 kHz / 24 bit.

Okay, so the white paper has been scrubbed from their site, but basically I'm wrong. Auro3D is not a matrixed format. It's discrete. However, it's not exactly full fidelity like Atmos is.
What Auro3D does is store the supplementary channels (like height channels) in the bottom 4 bits of a 24-bit file. If you truncate a file to 16-bits all that data is lost.
FLAC would preserve any Auro3D tracks delivered in up to 7.1. Anything past that...

I'm in process of ripping an Auro-3D title now, I'm ripping all the available streams, as I don't easily know which is which. I'll see what I get.
Actually, I'm using makemkv to rip. I forgot this thead is about DVD-Audio Extractor. So, I popped the disc in and opened up this program. It shows 2 streams in multi-channel. They are named identically....something like DTS HD Master (I've already closed the program) DVE lets you actually play the stream before you rip it. Each stream only triggered Multi-Channel In on my Denon avr. Nothing tripped the Auro-3D.....but maybe it doesn't work that way, I dunno.

Also, because I'm a total dope when it comes to understanding all this.... here is what Makemkv sees with David Miles Hubner Auro-3D disc. I left all items selected and created an mkv file. It only makes 1, which I don't get. Either way, in this case, when I play the mkv file in VLC, it only plays in 5.1 (that I can tell) and Windows Media Player won't play it at all. (no audio)

1708528243975.png

1708528161326.png

Also, because I'm a total dope when it comes to understanding all this.... here is what Makemkv sees with David Miles Hubner Auro-3D disc. I left all items selected and created an mkv file. It only makes 1, which I don't get. Either way, in this case, when I play the mkv file in VLC, it only plays in 5.1 (that I can tell) and Windows Media Player won't play it at all. (no audio)

View attachment 101873

View attachment 101872
Actually, it's not even 5.1. It's in stereo. So, when leaving all those audio choices selected, I guess it defaults to 2 channel. Dumb.

wow man, I'm one that certainly did not know if you rip the audio from an Auro-3D title, that particular flac rip will then trigger the Auro-3D within my Denon. Automatically?? Just like a disc would?
No, not automatically, you have to chose it from the mode menu, at least IME with 2 AVR's
While playing a 5.1 file that has Auro 3D embedded,
Click the Denons remote INFO, on screen the left menu for Input Signal should show it's playing a Auro 3D file to all your available speakers.

"Actually, it's not even 5.1. It's in stereo. So, when leaving all those audio choices selected, I guess it defaults to 2 channel."

Using VLC, you should be able to click Right click on the playback and chose Audio-Audio Track and have all the options you chose to save available as options. Stereo, DTS-HD 5.1, DTS Surround 5.1, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
No, not automatically, you have to chose it from the mode menu, at least IME with 2 AVR's

Using VLC, you should be able to click Right click on the playback and chose Audio-Audio Track and have all the options you chose to save available as options.
OK, the next dumb comment/question. I mean, how do we really know it's not just upmixing Auro 3D? I mean, Auro 3D on my denon is also an upmixer. I sometimes use it when I want something in the heights. Unless I'm totally all wet here. I thought it was an upmixer......

Click the Denons remote INFO, on screen the left menu for Input Signal should show it's playing a Auro 3D file to all your available speakers.

Using VLC, you should be able to click Right click on the playback and chose Audio-Audio Track and have all the options you chose to save available as options. Stereo, DTS-HD 5.1, DTS Surround 5.1, etc.

OK, the next dumb comment/question. I mean, how do we really know it's not just upmixing Auro 3D? I mean, Auro 3D on my denon is also an upmixer. I sometimes use it when I want something in the heights. Unless I'm totally all wet here. I thought it was an upmixer......
This is my Denon X4700H OTC
See on left it says Signal = Auro-3D/PCM
Also at bottom left Input Signal = and all the 12 Input Channels are shown Active.
If the Input Signal wasn't an Auro 3D these two "gui"s would reflect that.
It would show, Stereo, 5.1, whatever was playing. Play some of those files to see the changes.

IMG_0001_v2.JPG

• Love
Reactions: GOS
This is my Denon X4700H OTC
See on left it says Signal = Auro-3D/PCM
Also at bottom left Input Signal = and all the 12 Input Channels are shown Active.
If the Input Signal wasn't an Auro 3D these two "gui"s would reflect that.
It would show, Stereo, 5.1, whatever was playing. Play some of those files to see the changes.

View attachment 101912

Damn, I totally forgot about the INFO button!!!! I haven't used it in ages.... I'll have to try it out.

Back