DVDs: Any of these Movies have Music in True 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I was pleasantly surprised to learn the recent Collector's Edition of Flashdance had the title song in true 5.1.

So I'm wondering . . . do any recent DVD editions of these musical flicks have any songs remixed in true 5.1? (I wouldn't count any of the original ultra-conservative film mixes which consist of most instrumentation in the front.)

Footloose
Saturday Night Fever
Fame
Dirty Dancing
Grease

I don't care if they're just Dolby Digital, long as they're true discrete surround.

I don't know how you define true 5.1, but Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed versions of 5.1.
A lossless 5.1 soundtrack cannot fit onto a DVD.
Blu-Ray is your only current option for true lossless 5.1.

I might be wrong, but I interpreted the question as which of those movies have songs re-mixed for 5.1 as opposed to an upmix of the stereo mix. All kinds of DVDs have Dolby 5.1, but that doesn't mean the songs (or the audio in whole) have been remixed.

Don't forget SACD and DVD-Audio music discs. They are also lossless 5.1 audio, aren't they?

There is a great dvd called "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" that has a DTS 6.1 surround soundtrack, that sounds very good. Also, a Paul McCartney dvd called "Back in the US" that is DTS 6.1 surround. Anyone that's not heard these should check them out.

The DVD's that I have of SNF and Grease sadly do not feature remixed songs. It's good old-fashioned stereo in the front with ambiance and/or sound effects (occasionally) in the rear. Possibly the BEST part of SNF is when they go to the Bridge and fool around. Heavy wind & traffic noise from the rear with very well-done voice echos from the front. It almost sounds like standing and talking on a steel girder bridge.

"SACD AND DVD-A music discs are lossless..." Yes, but the actual question was whether there are DVD Movies with soundtracks that have discrete music tracks on them.......
How about the Motown DVD, is that very discrete? Or just ambiance in the 3 rear speakers vice normal 2 rear speakers. That won a Grammy but I have never seen it. The
number of movies released on DVD with 6.1 soundtracks must be limited. John

I don't know how you define true 5.1, but Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed versions of 5.1.
A lossless 5.1 soundtrack cannot fit onto a DVD.

You define it as one of the many misnomers that's thrown around the surrround community. ;)

As far as I know they are discreet. They sound like it anyway.
Haven't watched them in awhile. Must watch again soon........... :)

Back