Dylan "Live 1964" - import hybrid SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dprokopy

I was just browsing through towerrecords.com, and I noticed they had a listing for Bob Dylan's recently (well, earlier this year) released "Live 1964" as an import hybrid SACD. Now, of course, the domestic version is only available as a standard redbook, so I was a bit surprised by this. Anyone know if it actually IS an SACD release?

I know that, on the SACD sampler that came packaged with "Masked & Anonymous" last year, there was a selection from "Live 1964" (in a multichannel mix, no less), that led me to believe that the eventual release would, like the rest of the recent Dylan remasters, be a hybrid disc. So I was pretty disappointed and confused when it only came out as redbook. Now I see this. Anyone know what's up? Here's a link to the item on Tower. Not much useful info, of course: Bootleg Series V.6: Live 1964 (Hybrid Sacd) - Bob Dylan

Also, what's the latest word on any future Dylan SACD releases? I thought I'd heard rumors (on here?) that Sony had abandoned plans to proceed with the remastering campaign, and in fact were going to let the current hybrids go out of print and replace them eventually with redbook-only versions. I still see the hybrids plentily available all over the place, so hopefully that was just a rumor. :confused:

dprokopy said:
Also, what's the latest word on any future Dylan SACD releases? I thought I'd heard rumors (on here?) that Sony had abandoned plans to proceed with the remastering campaign, and in fact were going to let the current hybrids go out of print and replace them eventually with redbook-only versions. I still see the hybrids plentily available all over the place, so hopefully that was just a rumor. :confused:
Uh oh, I think I might have confirmed at least part of my worst suspicions here. When browsing at Fry's yesterday I noticed, in addition to the well-stocked selection of Hybrid Dylan discs in their SACD/DVD-A section, they also had a fair selection of remastered redbook-only discs in the regular Dylan section. I hadn't seen or heard of these before, but their presence does seem to suggest that the hybrids are being phased out. What this means for the future of Dylan's catalog remains to be seen. I hope they AT LEAST upgrade the remastering on the rest of the albums, even if they decide against the SACD aspect (stereo or surround). Some of the current Dylan discs have "remastering" jobs that date back to the mid-eighties, and they sound horrid.

Oh, well...

Back