Ear Candy metal in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Ghost Reveries holds the grand honor of being the poorest surround mix I've ever listened to (the stereo mix is quite good, though). Still Life is actually a lot better, I'd say.

I was very surprised to prove it's less compressed than his other mixes. It's really crankeable! Nice dynamics and the volume is not higher than the latest Opeth album or SW's The Raven, just to show a quick comparison.

The CD is a lot louder, though. But who cares? As I only use the CD for the car, it might even be better this way.

By the way, be careful with that Amazon link. I'm afraid it's the edition containing only the two CD: vocal and instrumental. No DVD, I think. I had to pay more than 40 € for my edition, and as far as I know it cannot be ordered outside The Ocean's web shop.

Just had a look at The Ocean website - It looks like there's a Limited Box Set with the CDs & DVD for 49 euro and also a CDs & DVD set for 25 euro (plus postage) :)

http://pelagic-records.com/cds/

So good to read this. I really like this album, but didn't know about the surround mix. I need to check it out!

By the way, there's another album in a similar style with a (very good) 5.1 mix. The Ocean - Pelagial. Another fine piece of forward-thinking metal, I like it even better than BTBAM's album. I've been a long time fan of this band, and this release may be their best yet. It's an interesting concept. 53 min of non-stopping music that pretends to be a trip from the sea's surface to the deepest abyss, and at the same time an allegory of the human psyque. So the first tracks are light, soft and airy, and it gradually becomes heavier and darker, almost suffocating, towards the end of the album.

Looking pretentious already? Well, there's more to come. The band decided to create a film for the whole album, like a 53 min videoclip, and the soundtrack it's... a 5.1 DTS mix of the album itself :). It's mixed by Jens Bogren. Yeah, we know this man released some poor mixes in the past but he has drastically improved. It's very, very good, easily his best yet and I'd say close to Steven Wilson excellence.

The album was originally conceived to be instrumental, and that's the version used for the surround mix. But later they decided to add some vocals as well. So the edition comes with 2 CD (one with vocals and another without them) and the DVD with the film and surround mix. It's expensive, but I think it's worth it. Looks like this:

View attachment 16263

This was my favourite album of 2013. I thought Steven Wilson's "The Raven..." was perfect until I heard Pelagial that year :)

Great, thank for your hint. :)
Just ordered it!

Yeah, Ghost Reveries holds the grand honor of being the poorest surround mix I've ever listened to (the stereo mix is quite good, though). Still Life is actually a lot better, I'd say.

Still Life is better but the suffer from hard limiting.

I was very surprised to prove it's less compressed than his other mixes. It's really crankeable! Nice dynamics and the volume is not higher than the latest Opeth album or SW's The Raven, just to show a quick comparison.

The CD is a lot louder, though. But who cares? As I only use the CD for the car, it might even be better this way.

By the way, be careful with that Amazon link. I'm afraid it's the edition containing only the two CD: vocal and instrumental. No DVD, I think. I had to pay more than 40 € for my edition, and as far as I know it cannot be ordered outside The Ocean's web shop.

I see a version for 25 Euros in the shop, though. Item:

THE OCEAN - "Pelagial" 2xCD (digipak) + extra DVD + 5:1 dolby surround

EDIT: ah, just saw Suffolk David's post. :)

Did anybody who ordered The Ocean Pelagial received their set already? It is a month ago and I have not received it yet. The band is running their webshpo themselves, so they might be a bit busy with other things, but I am curious is some one already received it. Thanks.

I received mine this week after a few weeks waiting.... And I too had no DVD in the package :-( ...in fact the DVD is not mentioned on the sleeve!

But ... I have e-mailed them and they are sending me one.

Yes, I received it, but they forgot to put the DVD inside.
So for now I have only the CDs :mad:
They will send it to me now...only a few weeks or months to wait! :)
same here, I waited about three weeks for the first post and now am still waiting since about two weeks for the dvd. I hope it's worth it...

so, has anyone any news about this? I'm still waiting...

Back