Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado - Mobile Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ricky, first and foremost, welcome back from your extended 'hiatus' from QQ Forum. So the MQA KING ā¤ Eldorado's RBCD layer? How 'bout the SACD layer?

So now I'm totally confused regarding this release. Mirror Mirror on the Wall, who possesses THE most GOLDEN EARS of ALL?

The RED Challenger elite roofer from the Bay area [Marpow]
The fertility, er Fertilizer expert from Illinois [GOS]
The Ben Franklin quoting intellectual from Kansas City [Sonic Wiz] or,
The chain saw wielding MQA King from Michigan [cbmmm3]

Decisions, DECISIONS!
Genius! :giggle:

Of course a rightful question. I am referring to the Blu-ray disc. Have you noticed differences between the DVD-A & Blu-ray?
Well, if you're referring to surround mixes, there are three: the 40th Anniversary DVD-A in 5.1, the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray in 5.1, and the 1969 Complete box set Blu-ray in Atmos. For stereo mixes, there are also three: the original, Steven Wilson's 40th Anniversary mix, and his 50th Anniversary mix. All are different, of course. That's not to mention the various masterings of the original stereo mix...

So is MoFi slipping? ..... seems these SACDs were years in the making and to hear from multiple posters the results are lackluster is just plain SAD!
Another point, and this has nothing to do with the sonoma recording or whatever it is called, but I always and I mean always buy from MOFI direct and this time I received my order Desperado and El Dorado in one package from Music Direct and a second package of Desperado only from Music Direct and I did not purchase two Desperado's and I did not purchase anything from Music Direct.
I have decided with my high quality HDTrack downloads of Van Halen, that now I am not going to buy the MOFI Van Halens.

[...]
"Then I played it again through the SM v2 in the involve/QS 4.1 mode. The soundstage opened up and it seemed the vocals were now allowed to breathe, to take their place up front un-masked by the other instruments. I loved it the presentation and totally enjoyed my encore performance in surround.
[...]

Can someone explain this?^ to me? Is this ELO "stereo" SACD secretly encoded in quad or what?
SMv2? Involve/QS4,1? What's this all about? I need to get up to speed, please.

Can someone explain this?^ to me? Is this ELO "stereo" SACD secretly encoded in quad or what?
SMv2? Involve/QS4,1? What's this all about? I need to get up to speed, please.
This ELO SACD is plain 'ol stereo. No secret surround encoding.

There are some well regarded quad decoders that also excel at synthesizing surround sound from stereo. The Involve Surround Master is the best of the new designs for QS/SQ/ stereo decoding. I must say I'm pretty surprised if you haven't read the gazillion posts about it by now. There is even a dedicated forum on QQ for Involve. You can read all about it here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forums/involve-audio-creators-of-the-surround-master.177/

This ELO SACD is plain 'ol stereo. No secret surround encoding.

There are some well regarded quad decoders that also excel at synthesizing surround sound from stereo. The Involve Surround Master is the best of the new designs for QS/SQ/ stereo decoding. I must say I'm pretty surprised if you haven't read the gazillion posts about by now. There is even a dedicated forum on QQ for Involve. You can read all about it here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forums/involve-audio-creators-of-the-surround-master.177/

I was "aware" of quad "encoding" but haven't bothered. I did search just today and saw there is a new Involve SMv3. Thanks, I guess I have some homework reading to do (sigh).

Last edited:
I was "aware" of quad "encoding" but haven't bothered. I did search just today and saw there is a new Involve SMv3. Thanks, I guess I have some homework reading to do (sigh).
You could start by watching the relatively recent ā€œLife In Surroundā€ video in which Mike(@edisonbaggins) interviews the dynamic duo behind Involve Audio.

Back