ELS Ad - no mention of DVD-A (or MVI for that matter)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
From the look on Donalds face, he's not to pleased with the state of surround sound retail. ;)

Attachments

• ELS Ad small.jpg
    ELS Ad small.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 302
From the look on Donalds face, he's not to pleased with the state of surround sound retail. ;)

But Jon Did you access the PDF. He says these are current projects!!

ELLIOT SCHEINER​
CURRENT PROJECTS​
Donald Fagan 5.1 Mixing
Dan Fogelberg 5.1 Mixing
OAR 5.1 mixing
REM “New Adventures in Hi-Fi” 5.1 Mixing​
Bob Dylan

Working in 5.1 and some Fogelburg work would be wonderful!

ELLIOT SCHEINER​
CURRENT PROJECTS​
Donald Fagan 5.1 Mixing
Dan Fogelberg 5.1 Mixing
OAR 5.1 mixing
Bob Dylan

based on the fact that REM title was released in early 2005, i'm guessing this list is pretty outdated. thinking we'd have seen the fogelberg by now if it was ever going to see a near-term light of day.

ELLIOT SCHEINER​
CURRENT PROJECTS​
Donald Fagan 5.1 Mixing
Dan Fogelberg 5.1 Mixing
OAR 5.1 mixing
Bob Dylan

That list is older than my underwear. The Dylan was Blood On The Tracks, co-mixed with Phil Ramone.

Hey Dave! How did you get a link on their webpage????

No DVD-A mention is depressing but not totally unexpected. I've kept the full page color ads that featured Panasonic ELS up to this point.

What on Earth is Elliot doing now? He did the mobile ELS system, then the (admittedly goofy and expensive) home ELS system while the formats have pretty much dried up.

BTW - That's 'eons' ago...

No DVD-A mention is depressing but not totally unexpected. I've kept the full page color ads that featured Panasonic ELS up to this point.

What on Earth is Elliot doing now? He did the mobile ELS system, then the (admittedly goofy and expensive) home ELS system while the formats have pretty much dried up.

BTW - That's 'eons' ago...
He just did the stereo mix for the eagles new cds, and one can hope we get a multi mix that he surly did at the same time!

Hope so, we sure need some high profile surround mixes.

I know that everybody retreated to DVD surround work or stereo album work, but I was amazed that his work on the ELS home system and the press releases, etc. went on as if the DVD-A releases had never slowed to the crawl they are at today.

Last edited:
I was listening to CBS news radio in the car this morning and heard a commercial twice for the new Acura and it raved about it,s glorious surround sound system with dvd audio. Nice to hear them specifically mention dvd audio. Phil

I gave up fighting the DVD-A fight over in the Acura forums. They buy the car, then go look for DVD-Audios and are told they "haven't been made in years" by BB and other stores. They're all ticked off that they can't play the audio tracks from DVD-V's and can't understand why Acura would put an "obsolete" format capability in their expensive cars.

Can you blame them?

Nice to hear them specifically mention dvd audio. Phil

Yeah, great to hear they mention it.

But does anybody besides the folks around here, know what that means? Most think it is just the audio portion of a DVD (video). It would have been better to just call it MLP, at least that is not misleading. :(

Dennis

"Surround sound" tends to be used rather generically in car ads so it's value is muted. Acura mentioning in 2007 advertisements goes hand-in-hand with Sony SACD head units. It's really nice but WTF were you in 2002?

My friend has an new Acura and I have lent him several of my DVD-A disks. He likes what he hears. He can't play any of my SACD's in multi-channel on that unit and can't play any of my single sided SACD's. My vehicle has a DVD/SACD player and I can play any old SACD disk including multi-channel and can enjoy the Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel audio on any DVD-A disk, but not the DVD-A audio. This is a better option in my opinion. Still, how hard could it be to add both formats to a player? Grrrrrrrr.

Richard

Still, how hard could it be to add both formats to a player? Grrrrrrrr. Richard

We all know it's more political than technical much of the time.

It's my understanding that BOSE has a head unit that plays most anything on disc available now, but don't know the price on it.

Yes, it is an option in the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti and cost several thousand dollars. The Sony MEX-DV2000, which likely sounds just as good, can be purchased for around $200 from an internet seller.

Richard

Last edited:
Back