Let's A / B...Which One Do You Prefer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Obscure

QQ Supporter
With Hi-Res Surround Sound, I still sometimes struggle between SACD and DVD-Audio. Hybrid SACD's have the added convenience of standard CD playback since they have a redbook layer, but DVD-A's can include additional bells & whistles like music videos, etc. What about the sound? Does one format sound better to you, and if so, why? Personally, I think this has to be determined on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes I prefer the sonics of an SACD over it's DVD-Audio variant, and vice versa. Take Donald Fagen, for instance. Which one do you prefer? Let's discuss!

NightflyFront.jpg
NightflyBack.jpg

I have only the SACD, but I would point out it has a higher sample rate, for whatever that's worth.
Yes, if you are equipped for playback of the pure DSD 5.1 surround mix, then I agree, it is noticeable. However, to my old ears, I think the SACD sounds a tiny bit drier (or a tad more sterile) than the DVD-Audio. The DVD-Audio is warmer and less clinical. I bought the DVD-Audio first, many years before the SACD, so I was very familiar with the way it sounded and that may have contributed to coloring my preference. As always, YMMV. I think both versions are most excellent and you can't go wrong with either one.

Wasn't it one of the earliest DDD recordings, recorded in 1981? I wonder what sampling rate was used on the multis? It wouldn't surprise me if it was less than the 48kHz used to master the DVDA. And it certainly wasn't natively recorded in DSD back then. So it's likely both versions are padded to some degree.

24/96 PCM beats DSD64 from a fidelity standpoint...unless a different master was used, the SACD shouldn't sound better.
Although, if we're being honest, anything above 20/48 should sound the same. Which means both SACD and DVD-A.
This was one of the earliest DDD recordings, using a 3M deck I think it was 16-bit 50kHz.

My own experience is that this can get complex depending on your playback method. I personally found myself being underwhelmed by the sound of a lot of SACDs, and it turned out that the problem was in the PCM conversion that had to be done on my system. Once I got set up for true direct DSD playback, the sound of those SACDs I was previously disappointed in improved a LOT.

I don't have any DVD-As and SACDs of the same title to compare, because early on I preferred the video capabilities of DVD-Audio, so I leaned towards those. Nowadays on my main system though, a well done SACD can sound truly amazing.

One might speculate that any comparison between DSD and PCM should involve a recording made with today‘s technology and everything else apples to apples.

With earlier material, and especially the stuff I listen to, I’d bet that the source material prevents a valid comparison. Sgt Pepper, anyone?

i never did get the Japanese SACD but one of these days i'll get around to buying it so i can A/B/C/D it with the DVD-A, MVI and DualDisc 😋🤩

I can't tell you how many times I stared at that DualDisc in my local shop and I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. I only bought one DualDisc and playback was a problem from the get-go. I assume it was due to the non-standard redbook layer?

One might speculate that any comparison between DSD and PCM should involve a recording made with today‘s technology and everything else apples to apples.

With earlier material, and especially the stuff I listen to, I’d bet that the source material prevents a valid comparison. Sgt Pepper, anyone?
Will this work for an apple to apples comparison? I have a definite preference for one over the other.

BeckFront.jpg

BeckBack.jpg

i never did get the Japanese SACD but one of these days i'll get around to buying it so i can A/B/C/D it with the DVD-A, MVi and DualDisc 😋🤩

View attachment 100521
Whereas I have the DVDA, the Japanese SACD but not the dualdisc. I'm not sure I even knew there was a dualdisc before now.

@Uncle Obscure out of curiosity, what was the dualdisc you couldn't play?
I honestly don't recall. It was something I snagged at either Circuit City or Best Buy back when the format was introduced, and I ended up returning it in exchange for something else. It was definitely early on, but as far as the title goes, I'm coming up blank. This is what happens when you're old as dirt. LOL!

Uncle Obscure said: I can't tell you how many times I stared at that DualDisc in my local shop and I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. I only bought one DualDisc and playback was a problem from the get-go. I assume it was due to the non-standard redbook layer?

"The Nightfly" is a really scarce DualDisc, from the initial test run of the format.

DualDisc was a nice enough idea in theory but in practice it was quite problematic, not least that the discs were slightly thicker than regular discs so didn't play well in many slot loading players, Sony titles often had Dolby Digital 5.1 on the DVD side, it was just a mess that rapidly died a death.

Back