Elton John SACDs on UMG release list

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
From http://consumers.umusic.com/sacd/future.html

No dates scheduled yet, but on UMG's list:

Elton John - Captain Fantastic
Elton John - S/T
Elton John - Honky Chateau
Elton John - Madman Across The Water
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

It's also heartening to notice that almost all of UMG's future releases have a multi-channel layer. Hopefully our purchasing power, as small as it is, has shown them that M/C is worth pursuing.

Dave.

The Europe date for the five Eltons is purported to be "October"

I have been (semi-officially) told that there are 2 Bob Marley titles around the same time, over here (UK/Europe) at least..

Tubleweed Connection is as good as it gets. The original release was very well recorded--still sounding good after all these years. In fact, I hold this as Sir Elton's finest achievement. If you only know his more popular material, this will be a revelation!

I can hardly wait to hear it in full surround!

These are seminal '70s records, and I'm really looking forward to all these; I just hope they indeed see the light of day. Universal's "upcoming release" schedule is becoming pretty frustrating lately, with the constant announcement and subsequent removal/cancellation of titles (Clapton, Steely Dan, etc).

Does anyone know if Greg Penny is doing the remix on these? I thought he did a great job on Yellow Brick Road.

It would be my understanding from articles and interviews that the catalog was his to do, likely in some chronological order

That's good news. Maybe we'll get Caribou and Rock of the Westies somewhere down the line also.

I interviewed Greg at the beginning of the year when they were just engaging in the necessary transfers for these five - he is closely involved with all stages of the process - the whole project is his baby, as the success of GBYBR has given him a lot of influence with Universal. I'd be very surprised if he didn't do all the mixes himself.

I don't know who is doing the new Elton however....

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!

(from www.eltonjohn.com)

More Elton classic albums for SACD re-release

3-August-2004

Following the success of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, which was remastered in 5.1 surround sound and released as an SACD (Super Audio CD) last November, Universal Records is to release Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, and Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy in SACD Stereo/SACD Surround Sound/CD audio SACD formats.

All of the surround mixes were done by Greg Penny, who also did the surround mix on the remastered Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

In addition to the surround programme, the stereo programme has been remastered for both SACD Stereo and CD, so these titles will sound far superior to the 1995 reissues that are in the marketplace. The mastering is being done in the UK by Tony Cousins (using the EQ notes from the late Gus Dudgeon) who worked with Gus on the remasters back in 1995.

The provisional release date for these titles is 26 October, 2004.

:banana:
Nice 40th birthday gift for me (oct 18)!!!!! :sun

Bob Romano said:
Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!

(from www.eltonjohn.com)

More Elton classic albums for SACD re-release

3-August-2004

Following the success of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, which was remastered in 5.1 surround sound and released as an SACD (Super Audio CD) last November, Universal Records is to release Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, and Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy in SACD Stereo/SACD Surround Sound/CD audio SACD formats.

All of the surround mixes were done by Greg Penny, who also did the surround mix on the remastered Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

In addition to the surround programme, the stereo programme has been remastered for both SACD Stereo and CD, so these titles will sound far superior to the 1995 reissues that are in the marketplace. The mastering is being done in the UK by Tony Cousins (using the EQ notes from the late Gus Dudgeon) who worked with Gus on the remasters back in 1995.

The provisional release date for these titles is 26 October, 2004.

Wasn't those Steely Dan discs going to be released in June/July?? UMG is better at keeping dates than say Warners but I'll believe it when a) review copies go out b). when they are playing in my house.

Patrick Cleasby said:
the success of GBYBR has given him a lot of influence with Universal.

Success? As in how many units sold?

I'm not saying I'm surprised. But I'd like to know -- is there anywhere we can get sales figures for DVD-A's and SACD's? I have virtually no idea how many units of any releases have moved, or what the current industry standard for "success" is. Anyone know?

Back