Encoding on Alshire 101 Strings quad LP?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdr5q

I recently picked up the LP version of 101 Strings "Soul of Spain Vol. 3" -- I have the 8 track of the album, which has phenomenal separation and really packs a punch. The LP is oddly labeled and doesn't indicate a decoding system; the jacket describes it as "Quad-Spectrum" (ergo QS?) and has a detailed liner note on four channel recording. I have a restored Sansui 7001, and the QS decoder seems to be doing the best job.

Does anyone have familiarity with this LP, or other Alshire/101 Strings quad LPs?

Yes they are QS encoded

I have the following Alshire records -

QS11 - 101 Strings Plus Guitars
QS19 - Bacharach and Web - Hit Songs
QS6 - Bob Jackson - "Boots" the sax with the strange ones
QS9 - California Poppy Pickers - Play Various
QS13 - Jack Dorsey - Theme from The Godfather and other movie hits
QS7 - Jonny Doe - Sings the songs of Jonny Cash
QS18 - Monty Kelly - Today's Sounds

I would be interested in how many records Alshire produced - any links?

Yes they are QS encoded

Did the encoding remain intact when the cd's were produced?

Justin

Yes they are QS encoded

Did the encoding remain intact when the cd's were produced?

Justin
Yes - they perform exactly like LP when the CD is played through the QS decoder.

Hands down the rarest quad LP I've ever sought...and never found...is the QS version of 101 Strings Plays Songs Written by Carole King. I have the Q8, but I have never, since beginning to search for it in 1982, seen a single copy of the QS LP anywhere. Can anyone here even confirm it exists?

The first four (QS-1 through QS-4) were initially released in EV-4 - I don't know if QS versions were reissued later on, but all the copies of the initial 4 have EV logos on the front and back:

1662592193053.png

1662592242103.png

Compare that with the later ones (this is from Nelson Riddle Conducts 101 Strings, QS-16) which clearly indicate QS encoding:

1662592380720.png

The first four (QS-1 through QS-4) were initially released in EV-4 - I don't know if QS versions were reissued later on, but all the copies of the initial 4 have EV logos on the front and back:

View attachment 83214

View attachment 83215

Compare that with the later ones (this is from Nelson Riddle Conducts 101 Strings, QS-16) which clearly indicate QS encoding:

View attachment 83216
You shouldn't really notice that much difference between EV-4 encoding and QS encoding.

Sorry if this is a little off topic; but what really makes me sad about all this, is that the OP @jdr5q was here for a few years and seemed to be a legit Quad enthusiast but hasnā€™t been heard from since 2009. Guess Iā€™m just a sentimental old cuss about that sort of thing. I really feel like this forum is like a family of sorts.

Yes they are QS encoded

Except for the first four which I believe were EV-4 (initially), there were 20 LPS all told.

20220908_112211.jpg

I recently picked up the LP version of 101 Strings "Soul of Spain Vol. 3" -- I have the 8 track of the album, which has phenomenal separation and really packs a punch. The LP is oddly labeled and doesn't indicate a decoding system; the jacket describes it as "Quad-Spectrum" (ergo QS?) and has a detailed liner note on four channel recording. I have a restored Sansui 7001, and the QS decoder seems to be doing the best job.

Does anyone have familiarity with this LP, or other Alshire/101 Strings quad LPs?
I have that one, and it's QS. I would have also liked to have seen the first "Soul of Spain" remixed for quad.

Back