Existing Surround Mixes That Could Use A Re-Do

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ommadawn was my favorite MO album -- is the stereo,that different? Don't recall that. There are at least two SQ mixes, the original CBS US disc and the one on Boxed. Haven't played either in 30 years.

Wondered why I never picked up SACD of the original quad Tubular Bells mix ... until I finally did recently.
It's God-awful, ineptly changed everywhere. I must have subconsciously remembered how disappointing the Q8 was. Again, I don't remember if the Boxed version is better. In general, I recall the Boxed mixes being superior. But I never played them much because ... SQ only.

Never once listened to HR.

I have the 5.1 DD and later acquired the quad mix (don 't recall if it's the US or 'Boxed' version) as well. I like both. The quad retains more of the instrumental balances of the stereo mix, but I admire the 5.1 too. IIRC the guitar balance is the most changed.

Jeff Wayne - The war of the worlds.
Surely exists a lot of fans that could help to find which sessions were used for the final mix. Don't have the problem with the sound or even surround but I don't like the changes that made on this. Even drums seems sometimes that are not real.

Given how much was live to mono, I think this one is spectacular. Better than just good, great. I think he was a magician to get out of it what he did. To me, this one is way over it's potential.

Actually very little was recorded directly to the mono mix. It's a classic multitrack recording from the 60s, many bounces.
The problem with this one is the botched channel authoring (Center in the LFE, inverted phase, etc...).

Actually very little was recorded directly to the mono mix. It's a classic multitrack recording from the 60s, many bounces.
The problem with this one is the botched channel authoring (Center in the LFE, inverted phase, etc...).
Yes, bounces. Once it is bounced you can't separate it again.

Metallica - Black Album (DVD-A)
Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Whos Buying (DVD-A) this is just horrible. The Mix, the mastering, its a total mess..

i'd love to see more old school metal in surround, but done right. I think i havent heard something good ever.

i'd love to see more old school metal in surround, but done right. I think i havent heard something good ever.

The 2013 Dream Theater album has an ok 5.1 mix (is that considered metal?), but yeah I agree that both metal and grunge are way underrepresented in surround.

yeah, the Dream Theater is a good example. it sounds great, also the Opeth mixes in general, but I meant old school, like the above mentioned megadeth and metallica... what would pantera sound like in 5.1... i guess we'll never know.
well..best next thing is the surround master wich does an incredible job, I especially love how "Floods" sounds like with the SM

Also TOTALLY agree that ' George Harrison's -Live In Japan ' is uninspired .

Scarcely even ambient, a big disappointment . And I was so looking forward to some Harrison in surround . What a let down ---for a double sacd yet.

They have all the pre-bounced multis.
My understanding is the the wrecking crew laid the basic tracks live to four track. This would put many instruments onto the same track and there was more than a bit of bleed from the others. Am I wrong about that?

The Doors-The Doors

Dave Brubeck-Time Out

and ELP-ELP (but this only needeth the missing tracks-PENTEOED ) boy do we ever need Tank in surround .
Just thought about "Tank " issue and realized this is not alltogether out of the Realm of possibilities. Afterall Carl is still around and "Tank " is his masterpiece .

Back