Exploring Billboard for Quadraphonic Information

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note the MAJOR error in this piece.

Doug
Dunno what your seeing but what sticks out to me as 59th Street Bridge Song being listed as Jazz. But it was on an Enoch Light record so who knows what his interpretation could have been.

Still, seems as incongruous to me as Jethro Tull getting an Grammy for hard rock/heavy metal.

I just had an idea.

What stylus are you using? I know there were several narrow contact (or line contact) styli with different designs. I wonder if some of them tended to grind specks of dust into the grooves while others tend to remove them. I would think from its asymmetrical front to back shape that the standard Shibata has would tend to grind dust into the groove. The dust would also affect the stylus motion more by hitting the angled faces.

I am thinking that all of the records I tried to play while trying to set up my player were already damaged when I used them (they were already open). And I had only a couple of hours to play with them. I wish there had been enough time to try to clean the records in various ways.

And the face powder would be quite different from ordinary dust. It's made of ground-up pigments.

I don't know. I have a variety. Original Shibata in Audio Technica and (I believe) Panasonic EPC cartridges, Empire's own proprietary "4 dimensional" stylus, Stanton/Pickering "Quadrahedron", the later Audio Technica "MicroLine" They all work and similarly. All effective.

If the records you used were of unknown provenance or handling, they could be the issue but as I have said, many of mine were bought used and only two stick out as being unlistenable - "Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits" and Rick Wakeman's "Journey To the Center of the Earth" and these were obviously mishandled. I dare say they were thrown on the floor and moved around.

Doug

Dunno what your seeing but what sticks out to me as 59th Street Bridge Song being listed as Jazz. But it was on an Enoch Light record so who knows what his interpretation could have been.

Still, seems as incongruous to me as Jethro Tull getting an Grammy for hard rock/heavy metal.

SQ "Discrete 4-Channel"

CD-4 "Matrix Quadraphonic"

Doug

https://pspatialaudio.com/snow_plough.htm
Seems like a true Shibata stylus is the only design that will "clean out" records grooves (apparently an accidental benefit of the shape - as is the bridging the damaged section of a record groove).

The CD-4 disc in question (Re: MidiMagic) might have been one of the early ones without the added antistatic compound.

Kirk Bayne

Wow! 34 years later and people STILL mention this on an almost daily basis, it seems. That must have REALLY pissed some people off! :ROFLMAO:

Enoch Light? The World's Greatest Jazz Band? Not sure where else to classify a record like that. 🤷‍♂️

Wow! 34 years later and people STILL mention this on an almost daily basis, it seems. That must have REALLY pissed some people off! :ROFLMAO:

Enoch Light? The World's Greatest Jazz Band? Not sure where else to classify a record like that. 🤷‍♂️
Doesn't piss me off. I am quite amused.
I have quite a few of EL albums but I'm not sure about Worlds Greatest Jazz Band. I will have to check.

I have quite a few of EL albums but I'm not sure about Worlds Greatest Jazz Band. I will have to check.

There was also a band back in the 70s called "The World's Greatest Jazz Band". And they recorded "59th Street Bridge Song" at one point.

IIRC, there was a quad compilation album issued that had both Enoch Light and TWGJB on it. It could be that album as well and it was mislabeled in that list.

I believe I solved the mystery. The above track by TWGJB was indeed issued in Quad on an album of theirs with the catalog number given in that list.

https://www.discogs.com/release/158...est-Jazzband-Of-Yank-Lawson-Bob-Haggart-Extra
The reference to Enoch Light was probably due to some confusion as the label, Project 3, was Light's label. He was also the producer of the album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_3_Records

Last edited:
1694729294724.jpeg

1694745080068.jpeg

Frank ape makes a special kind of music with CD-4!

There's never been anything ordinary about Frank Zappa's work. He's one of the greats in the recording industry who not only knows what sounds good, but why.
He knows how to take his music one step further and he does it. That's why CD-4 is important to him. "CD-4 is the only process I've heard so far that even resembles 4-channel on a disc." Zappa doesn't stop there either.
"I wouldn't use it if I didn't like it.”

https://pspatialaudio.com/snow_plough.htm
Seems like a true Shibata stylus is the only design that will "clean out" records grooves (apparently an accidental benefit of the shape - as is the bridging the damaged section of a record groove).

The CD-4 disc in question (Re: MidiMagic) might have been one of the early ones without the added antistatic compound.

Kirk Bayne
The tapered part of the Shibata goes first, and the flat part is the trailing edge.

That shape wedges the dust into the groove surface instead of removing it.

The tapered part of the Shibata goes first, and the flat part is the trailing edge.

That shape wedges the dust into the groove surface instead of removing it.

Actually, in toto, the Shbata presents a kind of scoop shape to the groove and would have a tendency to "scoop" out debris, I would think. I think Lou Dorren proved this. It's how his record cleaner works.

Doug

There was also a band back in the 70s called "The World's Greatest Jazz Band". And they recorded "59th Street Bridge Song" at one point.

IIRC, there was a quad compilation album issued that had both Enoch Light and TWGJB on it. It could be that album as well and it was mislabeled in that list.

I think I also saw The World's Greatest Jazzband , on Atlantic records as well.
So they get around......Sadly only project 3 did em up in quad.

Back