Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From thedigitalbitswebsite:

In release news today, Kino Lorber Studio Classics has set Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain (2005) for release in 4K Ultra HD on 6/25.

Brokeback Mountain (4K Ultra HD)

Finally, here’s a nice surprise: Amazon UK has just posted a 4K Ultra HD listing for Wes Craven’s A Nightmare on Elm Street: 40th Anniversary Edition (1984) from New Line via Warner Bros! There’s no street date, but this clearly means the title is coming to the States at some point in the coming months as well.
I ordered a copy of Brokeback Mountain yesterday when I read the news from Kino Lorber. I dread dealing with them though. I’ve been waiting three weeks for a shipping notice for Nostalghia though it has been approved for packing. Overall their website seems to have a “don’t bother us” vibe, you’ll get it when you get it.

I ordered a copy of Brokeback Mountain yesterday when I read the news from Kino Lorber. I dread dealing with them though. I’ve been waiting three weeks for a shipping notice for Nostalghia though it has been approved for packing. Overall their website seems to have a “don’t bother us” vibe, you’ll get it when you get it.
Too bad you didn't order Nostalghia when it was available from AmazonUS for $14.99. I received mine the other day. Never had an issue with Kino Lorber's website but have experienced problems with ARROW'S!

BTW, Brokeback Mountan, hands down, should've won the Academy Award for BEST PICTURE over the manipulative CRASH and a lot of critics agree.

And Heath Ledger's brilliant performance was likewise OSCAR worthy. At the very least, director Ang Lee did receive the Oscar for Best Director.

At the 63rd Golden Globe Awards, Brokeback did receive Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Song.

Brokeback Mountain | Full Movie | Movies Anywhere

Last edited:
Am currently watching THE BLUE GIANT. SIMPLY AMAZING!

https://www.theaterbyte.com/blue-giant-blu-ray-review/

Soundtrack currently available from CDJapan as an SHM~CD

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCJ-2220

Could we hope for a 'future' dolby ATMOS BD~A???????? Hiromi's score is brilliant!

I totally agree with you, Ralphie. I've watched it 3 times now & I'm sure I'll watch it again in near future. I think most QQ'ers will buy it because of Hiromi and if not anime fans might find it hard to relate to. But sometime back I did a post about music themed anime and this is another great one to add to the list. Just think: i can't recall any animated American feature film about music since Ralph Bakshi's American Pop back in early 80's. Lots of 'toons with music in it but none about the passion of making music. The Japanese seem captivated by it. Oh, and no, Howard the Duck or Heavy Metal doesn't count.

Visually the film is a feast for the eyes. Odd thing tho, the backgrounds are very CG looking while the main characters are simulate hand drawn. With rare exceptions like Red Line or Boy and the Heron, most all of anime has been created by computer since the days of Win 2k. But usually the apps have all been designed to crate a hand drawn look. It's not usual to mix styles but on subsequent watches I really liked it.

I associate piano with Hiromi & my respect has grown once again seeing how masterful she is with writing for saxophone. Oh yes, a piano is included in the story content but not featured. This is a very stereo like mix with excellent detail & balance but the surround is token at best. I found it sounds the best with 2ch out from the Oppo to the Surround Master. For those with other up-mixing choices give it a try you might like it better.

Oh and the story line is very captivating. I think it's something the musicians on QQ would appreciate.

BTW, Brokeback Mountan, hands down, should've won the Academy Award for BEST PICTURE over the manipulative CRASH and a lot of critics agree.

And Heath Ledger's brilliant performance was likewise OSCAR worthy. At the very least, director Ang Lee did receive the Oscar for Best Director.

At the 63rd Golden Globe Awards, Brokeback did receive Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Song.

Brokeback Mountain is first DVD I ordered from amazon.uk, in a Brokeback Mountain discussion forum, some posters were wondering why the USA DVD movie time was 134 minutes and the UK DVD movie time was 129 minutes, was 5 minutes edited out?

I compared the USA and UK DVDs, nothing was edited out, it was the 25/24 film to video process, time to order this UHD Blu-ray from amazon.

Kirk Bayne

From thedigitalbits website:

Kino Lorber Studio Classics has just finally set Don Siegel’s Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) for release in 4K Ultra HD on 6/25. There will be lots of legacy extras, plus a pair of new commentaries including one with film historians Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson, and another with professor and film scholar Jason A. Ney.

81AdvonFJIL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Even Zaavi US is sold out! I'm sure they'll manufacture more. Enjoy the flick!
The flick was awesome! It is still dark with but with the HDR everything is visible.
5.1 was well done, although they missed the chance to do ATMOS and place the storms and crow flight over head which would have sealed the deal.

Get it when you can.

Back