Finally-- DVD A, as (music) god intended

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trnsfmr

Got my Oppo HD981 in the mail today. Waded through menus for a while, but guess what, it seems they actually work. Set it up for DVD A down the HDMI, 24/96khz. Was starting to get excited.

Played a couple DVD A's. They worked fine, down the HDMI. Turning off the video monitor would still kill the music for about 5 seconds though, but it came back, still in 5.1. Great.

Ahhhhhhhhh. :sun

Tried one of my Depeche Mode DVD A's from Europe. PAL region 2. Player gagged and said wrong region. Called Oppo, talked to Derek. He said he couldn't tell me, but suggested looking on the web for a hack. Went to Videohelp.com and clicked on DVD hack. Evidently, all universal players use the same code, 9210. Put the code in and then specified region 0, which is all regions. Then I could play my PAL region 2 discs.

There was also a hack there for disabling the HDCP handshake feature, which is what is causing the pause in audio when I turn off the video monitor. This hack is a little more involved, have to down load and open files, do some settings, burn a disc, put it in player, etc. Will probly do that tomorrow.

thanks for holding my hand through this guys. DVD A 24/96 is worth it. definitely better than DTS.

I have a new problem. How am I ever going to listen to normal 16/44.1 CD's again? They now sound like S--T !!!!

So, I still do not recommend the Pioneer DV 600AV to anyone.

Long live Oppo!! :banana:

You have experienced a format you will compare all other music to. I have a very hard time listening to other scources like my music dvd's. Welcome to the dvd audio addiction. I quote wavelenth welcome to the curse of dvd-a 5.1!

It's great that players are now cheaper than some titles. :) No slam intended on your player.

Enjoy !

It's great that players are now cheaper than some titles. :) No slam intended on your player.

Enjoy !

Right. There's no reason that a player should be super expensive, if you subscribe to the philosophy of having your D/A's be the best they can be and just feeding them digital from other sources. Works for me.

The Yamaha RXV663 is relatively cheap at $350 and has Yamaha's best converters in it. I think many other purchasers are buying it for that reason. It becomes just a computer front end for your sound system, feeding quality external amps. The Yamaha is mostly overlooked by audiophiles, in preference for something really expensive. :) But Yamaha makes more pro quality digital consoles than anyone else, and they know something about A/D conversion.

:phones

Back