Five Bowie's remixed in Sony 360..

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Negative. Fingers crossed.
I did a quick check couple of hours ago and all of them were in humble stereo :cry:

Ditto. Tony Visconti was hawking 360 RA from the moment it was unveiled, so I would guess the Bowie estate has an exclusive arrangement with Sony. Hopefully it's limited to six months or so and then they'll unleash Atmos versions.

In the meantime: is there anyone here with one of the handful of top-of-the-line AVRs with an MPEG-H decoder who can tell us how these sound on a full-room multichannel system?

Last edited:
I'd love to see them do an immersive mix of the original version of "Sue (Or In a Season of Crime)" with the Maria Schneider Orchestra--released first as a single, then included on Nothing Has Changed. Would make a good bonus track for Blackstar.

I’m bummed that these are in 360 RA and can’t play them in a discrete mix on my home theater system. There are a bunch of 360 RA albums available in 5.1 on Apple Music but I can only listen to the others with headphones which are just not the same experience.

The 360RA version of Heathen uses the longer takes of some tracks, same as the SACD.
Mix also sounds similar (barring the horrible 'binaural' mixdown the Tidal app does) so I'd take a guess it's at least based on the old 5.1 mix.

Last edited:
Checked out Blackstar, noticed a lot of differences from the stereo mix. Some missing/added effects, lots more reverb, different drum takes in places (or just previously mixed out bits).
Sounds completely different too, more sparse and less compressed, but how much of that is Tidal's binaural mixdown is anyone's guess.

Funny thing, was recently browsing through some really old threads looking for information on SACD to PCM conversion and saw people complaining about Sony always trying to split the market with proprietary formats (and usually giving up in the long run).

Well here they are, at it again. Only this time with practically no hardware support to speak of.
And here I am too, with brand new Bowie surround mixes sitting on my hard drive and no way to play them back :mad:

Here's hoping the mpeg-h codec is released on WIndows one way or another, looks like it's a long wait though.

Is there any way to save Tidal files as mp4 files? If so, it seems FFmpeg tool, since version 4.3, supports MPEG-H 3D files. But it's not clear to me what this support means: just playing keeping the format?

Last edited:
Is there any way to save Tidal files as mp4 files? If so, it seems FFmpeg tool, since version 4.3, supports MPEG-H 3D files. But it's not clear to me what this support means: just playing keeping the format?
Yeah, I think there's a couple of tools for that, I used Tidal-Media-Downloader from github.
Tried converting the files with ffmpeg but got this:
Could not find codec parameters for stream 0 (Audio: none (mha1 / 0x3161686D), 48000 Hz, 0 channels, 666 kb/s): unknown codec
So seems like mha1 is still not supported, unless I'm doing it wrong?

Yeah, I think there's a couple of tools for that, I used Tidal-Media-Downloader from github.
Tried converting the files with ffmpeg but got this:

So seems like mha1 is still not supported, unless I'm doing it wrong?
At a certain moment of time it seems a patch was created, I would need to find some time next week to test it:
https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/[email protected]/Maybe we should move it to a different thread not related to Bowie...

In case anyone's curious, here's a couple of differences from the stereo mix I noticed :

- on Blackstar, there's no reverb on "cried LOUD into the crowd", it's completely dry (5:13)​
- Right before the first "I can't answer why" change, the flangered synth swell is missing (5:21)​
- At the end of that section, in the stereo mix the drums stop for a couple of beats and there's heavy reverb on the last "I'm a blackstar". In the surround mix, it's dry and drums don't stop. (5:55)​
-on Lazarus, there's some drum fills missing right before the sax comes in (0:30)​
-on Sue, the distortion during the bass break is missing (3:07)​
- on I Can't Give Everything Away, in the stereo mix, the drums fade out at the beginning of the third verse with only vocals and bass left. In surround, the drums continue all the way through.​
-Throughout the song, additional drum samples are mixed much higher, by the end it feels like a new jack swing groove​

Last edited:
Only listened to the first 'disc' of Reality Tour but noticed a couple of errors:
- New Killer Star has a fade in for some reason, so there's a jump in volume from the previous song (Rebel, rebel), which doesn't fade out at the end (why would it).​
Interestingly enough, on Tidal's stereo mix, Rebel, rebel does fade out, while New Killer Star starts cold, so still wrong but the other way around. The version on Spotify doesn't fade in or out on either song and there's a gapless transition.​
- Editing errors between some songs that result in audience noise changing abruptly, most notably on Life On Mars/Battle for Britain, where some of the banter is missing, even though durations are the same.​

Checked out the second half of Reality Tour- can't believe how many editing errors this thing has.

In addition to the stuff I mentioned in my previous post regarding the first 'disc', here basically every other track has an abrupt cut in audience noise between songs. The stereo mix has smooth transitions everywhere.

The Motel gets a different introduction from Bowie edited in.

The first 40 seconds of Heathen are missing (the whole guitar intro).

Ziggy Stardust has a fade out added, the next song starts cold.

No idea how this stuff gets past quality control- if there was any.

Last edited:
Back