Fleetwood Mac - Mirage 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weren't the Fleetwood Mac 5.1s done by Ken Caillat?

Yes Ken did the one's that were released...but the situation remains the same...that song had to come from somewhere...ES did the mix for The Dance...but those were live cuts...this is a studio cut...and when I heard that Ken was doing Tusk and now Mirage it confirms my suspicion that ES is truly "retired"..even though he has some type of relationship with AF... he appears to be more of a consultant/advisor...

One thing about Tango In The Night that would excite me is that it's already a dynamic sounding album...even in the present CD form..it hasn't been molested...it hasn't been remastered to death...the CD I have sounds excellent...I have the second one on this list

Right now I'm very optimistic about that happening. With Tusk, all they had to do was to dig an unreleased mix out of the vaults, but for Mirage Warner Brothers had to commission a new mix. Plus they are doing this so soon after the release of Tusk that I have to think that they weren't disappointed with how many copies of it that they sold. It seems like WB is enthusiastic about this approach. The only thing that I can think of that might delay a box of those two titles is that the band is currently working on new material. If we see a new album any time in the near future, they might not want to release a catalog reissue at the same time.

It wasn't that long ago that it seemed like the music industry had completely abandoned this niche we all love so much. Whoever thought that in 2016 there'd be enough activity to get us all counting unhatched fowl. Exciting times indeed. Can one of my QQ brothers give me a "hope springs eternal"!?!?! Amen! Hallelujah!

:banana: :cool:

Hey, that's what I say! ("Hope Springs Eternal!") :) :banana:

Just to be clear, the 5.1 mix of "Monday Morning" on the ES Acura Demo disc was NOT mixed by Elliot Scheiner.
Like "Rumours", "Tusk", and "Mirage", that mix was done by Ken Caillat.
From what I know, after the release of the "Rumours" DVDA, he mixed both the 1975 album and "Tusk" in surround, but while "Tusk" was finally released last year, the 1975 album's surround mix still remains locked up (for now).
Only time will tell if the full self-titled album's surround mix is released either after "Mirage" or after they release a deluxe edition of "Tango in the Night" first.

Just bought this via the Amazon UK link. Just like "Tusk," I pretty much only want the 5.1 mix, but I'm willing to pick this up for the price at the UK Amazon site. I have to admit that the alternate "Tusk" disc from that set was pretty cool and I do at least also listen to that one in addition to the 5.1 disc.

"Gypsy" in 5.1 will likely be well worth the price of admission on this one :) ...

Jon

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the 5.1 mix of "Monday Morning" on the ES Acura Demo disc was NOT mixed by Elliot Scheiner.
Like "Rumours", "Tusk", and "Mirage", that mix was done by Ken Caillat.
From what I know, after the release of the "Rumours" DVDA, he mixed both the 1975 album and "Tusk" in surround, but while "Tusk" was finally released last year, the 1975 album's surround mix still remains locked up (for now).
Only time will tell if the full self-titled album's surround mix is released either after "Mirage" or after they release a deluxe edition of "Tango in the Night" first.

Thanks for the correction Ryan. I wrote ES when I was thinking KC -which doubles up as "King Crimson" for me! Serves me right for using initials. ;)

We know that Rumours, Tusk and probably Fleetwood Mac were all done at around the same time years ago, but having a brand new 5.1 mix is amazing! That unexpected move from Warner makes me optimistic for future Fleetwood Mac releases.

Well, a little timing change... no biggie though. Means I have more money a little longer. :)

Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

FLEETWOOD MAC "Mirage (Deluxe) [VINYL]"
Estimated arrival date: August 05 2016 - August 10 2016

I ordered mine from Amazon UK and today I got an email saying:

"Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

FLEETWOOD MAC "Mirage (Deluxe) [VINYL]"
Estimated arrival date: August 05 2016 - August 10 2016"

I want very much for Warner to release both "Tango" and" F.M.'s 75" disc next, probably the release of the 75 disc more so.

That being said it would not surprise me if one of the next box sets issued is "Rumours" even though they went through some reissues only a few years ago.

Sorry to "harsh the buzz", but it's a possibility since it's been 2002 since the excellent DVD-A was issued!

And in no way am I advocating this.Just pointing out the possibility.

I want very much for Warner to release both "Tango" and" F.M.'s 75" disc next, probably the release of the 75 disc more so.

That being said it would not surprise me if one of the next box sets issued is "Rumours" even though they went through some reissues only a few years ago.

Sorry to "harsh the buzz", but it's a possibility since it's been 2002 since the excellent DVD-A was issued!

And in no way am I advocating this.Just pointing out the possibility.

"Rumours" was already the subject of a multi-disc box set (with DVD and vinyl) back in 2013: https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Mac-Rumours-/release/4288657
So if you're saying that "Rumours" could possibly get reissued again as a multi-disc box set before the 1975 album and "Tango in the Night" just to reissue the OOP 5.1 mix, I think that's pretty ridiculous. I mean, record labels make some pretty dumb decisions, but they are not THAT stupid, are they? :violin

I honestly think many of us overestimate how important the 5.1 mix is to everyone else, including the people putting this set together. Given that the 5.1 mix of "Rumours" has already been released on both DVDA and SACD, if the creators of that box didn't feel it was important enough to include it in that set, I doubt that will change, especially when even they know they could probably make more money selling the other box sets anyway since those are for albums that have not had as many reissues as "Rumours" has had.

Rumours would really sound lousy in lossy dts. Just too much going on in that album.

Rumours would really sound lousy in lossy dts. Just too much going on in that album.

I'm sorry.......LOSSY DTS should've been retired LONG AGO with the advent of LOSSLESS DVD~A, SACD and BD~A.

And the inclusion in 2016 on very pricey kitchen sink boxsets is really unforgivable.

Does Rotten Tomatoes give out low scores to major record companies who REALLY DON'T GET IT(n)?

"Rumours" was already the subject of a multi-disc box set (with DVD and vinyl) back in 2013: https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Mac-Rumours-/release/4288657
So if you're saying that "Rumours" could possibly get reissued again as a multi-disc box set before the 1975 album and "Tango in the Night" just to reissue the OOP 5.1 mix, I think that's pretty ridiculous. I mean, record labels make some pretty dumb decisions, but they are not THAT stupid, are they? :violin

I honestly think many of us overestimate how important the 5.1 mix is to everyone else, including the people putting this set together. Given that the 5.1 mix of "Rumours" has already been released on both DVDA and SACD, if the creators of that box didn't feel it was important enough to include it in that set, I doubt that will change, especially when even they know they could probably make more money selling the other box sets anyway since those are for albums that have not had as many reissues as "Rumours" has had.

Yes they are stupid and greedy when the almighty $$$$$$ takes over common sense for corporate gain.

JUST SAYING I HOPE AND SO WANT TO BE WRONG , and common sense prevails.As long as the band has input we should not see this
negative scenario at least not for a 2-3 year span.

I'm sorry.......LOSSY DTS should've been retired LONG AGO with the advent of LOSSLESS DVD~A, SACD and BD~A.

I'd rather have lossy DTS surround on DVD than stereo only in any format. If lossy DTS on DVD had been retired we would not have seen many that were released in surround.

I'd rather have lossy DTS surround on DVD than stereo only in any format.

I don't have a problem with DTS...I think people get too focused on the delivery system instead of the actual mix and mastering...they are many excellent DTS recordings...it's product of the "numbers obsession"...if it's not 24/96 the sun won't come up...the rivers will cease to flow...I would venture to say that some of the most ardent supporters of the "numbers obsession" could be fooled by a blind listening test....of course they will say that couldn't happen...but I think it would...

I don't have a problem with DTS...I think people get too focused on the delivery system instead of the actual mix and mastering...they are many excellent DTS recordings...it's product of the "numbers obsession"...if it's not 24/96 the sun won't come up...the rivers will cease to flow...I would venture to say that some of the most ardent supporters of the "numbers obsession" could be fooled by a blind listening test....of course they will say that couldn't happen...but I think it would...
I'm positive it would. A blind test, where you only get to know that the differences are DTS and 24/96, while in fact the 24/96 has a weaker mastering, then I'm sure the outcome would be in favour of DTS.

This is where we disagree, Clint. In the days of olde, DVD~As were released with MLP 96/24, DTS and DD 5.1 and IN EVERY INSTANCE the 96/24 was the superior track, hands down. Rumours sounds brilliant in 96/24 and TUSK pales in comparison.

Why go to ALL the trouble of commissioning a new remix, which is certainly NOT cheap and painstaking, as well, and release it in a LOSSY format when MLP DVD~A, BD~A and SACD are the de facto HIGHER resolution formats?

WARNERS is a MAJOR conglomerate and smaller record companies like Roadrunner Records and Esoteric are releasing quality releases in MLP 5.1 96/24.

And mixing guru Steve Wilson releases his own recordings on BD~A which is NOT a cheap proposition.

Cheap IS cheap and Warners has really crossed the line.

If you were to order a download and had the choice of 16/44.1 or 96/24 FOR THE SAME PRICE, would you REALLY order the 16/44.1.......because that's what you getting with DTS (16/48 on DVD).

Remember, Clint: EVERY bit COUNTS....and I like my coffee EXTRA BOLD!

Boy, it really is difficult for us on QQ to refrain from turning every discussion into a lossy vs lossless debate, isn't it?

Here's what I will say about that:
Most of the best surround releases on DVD are DVD-A/V discs that contain both lossless MLP 5.1 and lossy DTS 5.1 too.
By having both, everyone wins! (And that's the way it should be!) :)

Oh, and BTW, Dullby sucks… ;)

rtbluray says:

Oh, and BTW, Dullby sucks… ;)[/QUOTE]

Show some respect, rt. Dullby was the cat's meow at the turn of the century! It sure beat the hell out of Dolby Surround and SACD/DVD~A were in their infancy.

And let's not overlook BD~A........IMO, THE best format but unfortunately, criminally underutilized.

Back