Florence & The Machine - WTF?!???!!!???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I just saw them on SNL (a repeat) and I have never heard such squawking and warbling as this crap!!! The word painful doesn't even begin to describe the experience I just went through.

Sounds like it's just typically modern music, made by talentless people in a studio where every little mistake can be digitally fixed. Good to know that live music can still reveal the truth. Unless of course they were just having a bad night, but let's give them no benefit of the doubt...:D

ED :)

I've seen great artists have terrible moment on SNL. We all know that a lot can go wrong from rehearsal to the real thing.

That being said, I don't think I've ever heard Florence truly shine live when given the opportunity, and she's been given some big ones, including being one of the four women on stage at the Grammys for an Aretha tribute.

"Typical modern crap" this is not. There's crap from every decade.

Well this show originally aired in November 2011. I've heard some really bad SNL performances in the past but, in my book, this is one of the absolute worst. It really sounded as if she could not hear herself with these loud and long notes that were totally flat... eeeeesh:yikes

Well this show originally aired in November 2011. I've heard some really bad SNL performances in the past but, in my book, this is one of the absolute worst. It really sounded as if she could not hear herself with these loud and long notes that were totally flat... eeeeesh:yikes

I'm pretty sure I saw this, then, and agree with you that she was terrible.

I've heard better singers sound terrible on SNL, but also thought she oversang at the Aretha tribute. She's got a bit to go as a live singer. Honestly, though, the originality of the material on both albums is superb, though.

My only exposure to Florence was on Austin City Limits.

She didn't sound terrible but not great either....... I was distinctly unimpressed.
Nothing about her, her voice, or her songs made me want to buy her muisc.

Looks to me like the hype machine has been working overtime.

Dear fellow members:
Some of you already know,
but it's called
PAYOLA!!!

I personally have seen documents from one of the biggest companies paying(or offering several goodies) several radio stations to "feature" their releases in heavy rotation for bands that I KNOW are basically talentless and no good.

Same as MTV.
I once investigated (about 10 years ago) and found out that to have a video played ONCE (and NOT in prime time), it only costs
$25,000!!!!

So...how do you get to Carnegie Hall???
MONEY!!!
:rolleyes:

...FAST FORWARD SIX YEARS LATER........

you know, I just saw her live at RAH video in utoob and was ...PROMPTLY BLOWN AWAYYY!!!!!!!
Maybe she had a rough time on SNL but, dang, she truly shines live!!! There is a fan video from Oct 9 in NY and she is great!!!

So, time to give her another break.. at least from me, cause she has another fan....

Any love for her???

Florence and the Machine were on the James Corden Show the other night and she truly shone. Her music teacher had originally wanted her to sing Opera but she chose instead to pursue a pop career.

I've experienced a LOT of throwaway musical performances on SNL over the years and only occasionally find any of their current LIVE shows the least bit funny .... or topical [perhaps one or two shows per season].

Last edited:
Florence & the Machine are the best female-fronted group of this day and age.
I went to their show at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville a few weeks ago, and Florence is a hell of a performer.
She runs around the stage with so much energy and yet her vocals do not degrade in quality when she does this either!

Their music would sound great in surround sound!
Just saying...

:)

The songs are written by Florence and Isabella Summers (keyboardist).

The funny thing about her appearance on the James Corden show.......Jamie Dornan [50 Shades of Grey, Jamie] appeared together [in an interview] with Florence and ironically they both played in James Corden's home town at the same local pub where Jamie and his duo bandmate, billed the Sons of Jim [both Dads were named Jim] performed and Florence recounts that's where she first experienced the Voice of an angel .... none other than Adele!

That must've been some PUB!

Last edited:
The funny thing about her appearance on the James Corden show.......Jamie Dornan [50 Shades of Grey, Jamie] appeared together [in an interview] with Florence and ironically they both played in James Corden's home town at the same local pub where Jamie and his duo bandmate, billed the Sons of Jim [both Dads were named Jim] performed and Florence recounts that's where she first experienced the Voice of an angel .... none other than Adele!

That must've been some PUB!
Thatā€™s nice!

Anotherā€™s whose voice sounds like an angel.

878547C1-650E-491A-AE9F-C41DEF76E95E.jpeg

And, she looks like an angel. šŸ˜‡

I mentioned this in another thread...but there's an interview with Roger Daltrey on Sirius Radio in which he said Florence and the Machine is "the future of rock"!

Back