Fosgate Gavotte setup in a car

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgorGordon

I finally got hold of a Fosgate Gavotte "decoder" for the car. I see them change hands occasionally on eBay so I picked one up thinking it might give me some interesting four channel surround in the car. Boy does this thing have some outputs and setups. I'm glad it came with a manual.

I was thinking of just hooking up the four corners and not getting concerned about the three subwoofers or the center channel.

Does anyone have any practical experience with a Gavotte? Any hints and tips?

Cheers, Igor
Perth, Western Australia

I have not hooked up a Gavotte, but have installed an RFQ5000 which is a newer version of it. First off, I believe you have a choice of mono or stereo subwoofers, not 3 at once. Secondly, it must be run through a power amplifier, otherwise no sound comes out. That's the only tips I can think of for now. Let us know haow it sounds, it supposedly has a control to increase or decrease the matrix effect.

IgorGordon said:
I finally got hold of a Fosgate Gavotte "decoder" for the car. I see them change hands occasionally on eBay so I picked one up thinking it might give me some interesting four channel surround in the car. Boy does this thing have some outputs and setups. I'm glad it came with a manual.

I was thinking of just hooking up the four corners and not getting concerned about the three subwoofers or the center channel.

Does anyone have any practical experience with a Gavotte? Any hints and tips?

Cheers, Igor
Perth, Western Australia

Hi Igor, I have set up many systems using the "Gavotte". When it is set up right it is best mobile analog surround decoder you will ever hear. It is more musical than most mobile DSP units I've heard. I say use the center channel, even if you have to cut up the dash for speaker placement. As far as the sub woofer outputs you can use "mono", "stereo", or both. However the crossover freq will be the to all 3 outputs. One important tip is to hook the power to a good constant 12v. If you switch the power with ign or remote out you can get some ugly power up thump. I would mount the unit where you place it in your lap. This is the only way to tune it for best sound where you listen. One ideal location is a flip down center armrest that opens for storage. Another good location is under the seat with enough slack in the lines to pull it up on the seat for tunning. Adjust your amp gains as low as possible, so you can drive the Gavotte's inputs enough to light the level led at listening volume. :D

Last edited:
Hi SspSandy and Four Ears,
Many thanks for the tips.

The installation has been delayed by the purchase of another car - but it has got a bigger cabin - for that improved "spacial separation". The good thing is that it's already got holes for four speakers and room under the front seats for - well - lots of stuff.

Thanks again,
Igor

When you get it going, you'll be really impressed. The RFQ5000 in my car has amazing separation, it transforms certain stereo recordings into clear 5 channel sound with awesome discreteness, and overall delivers a full soundstage that blows away the flat sound of mere stereo. With my original stereo system, all the sound tended to pull into the front left channel by the driver. Now it has this clear open ambience that makes driving a joy. Have fun! :sun

Fosgate rules i agree with sandy when you get it going it is going to be great good luck o and keep the shiny side up and ride on :brew

Back