Fourplay "Energy" SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm always a little surprised at the apparent lack of interest in the SACD releases from Heads Up. I have to say that I have never been disappointed with the quality of the work. The mixes are always discrete and the music typically superb.

Lost in all the hubbub of Graham Nash and David Gilmour, Fourplays "Energy" 5.1 SACD was also released this week. If you're not familiar, Fourplay is 4 extremely talented jazz musicians (Bob James, Larry Carlton, Nathan East and Harvey Mason Jr) - essentially slumming in the world of "Smooth Jazz." While they don't particularly break any new ground here, the music is well played, and the mix is discrete and excellent throughout. Although not very adventurous, it fits the music.

Fourplay are basically this generations' Jazz Crusaders (albeit a little less funky) who, with origional guitarist Larry Carlton, became the house band for Steely Dan's essential recordings in the 80's. This is good stuff and would be a welcome addition to anyone's surround library. (y)

I just ordered mine (CD Universe currently has it on sale for $17.09) and have added it to the HiRez poll. Their DVD-A is a must own, and I expect this one to be great as well!

Elmer, have you heard the s/t DVD-A as well? If so how would you compare the mixes of the two albums/formats?

I have not heard the self titled Fourplay DVD A but to be quite honest I don't really have any interest in comparing formats and mixes of different albums - I own many of both formats and my only interest is in the execution and fidelity of the individual release regardless of the format. I would only comment that the "Energy" SACD from a mix perspective is less of a whiz bang, things flying around the room/rear speaker bonanza and more of a very wide and natural soundstage that employs the rears for accents and support when needed - which is quite appropriate for this style of music IMHO.

Haven't bought it yet, but I just added it to my Amazon wishlist and noticed that Heads Up released it both as a CD AND as a hybrid SACD. Who runs these companies? The same boneheaded move that has plagued hybrid SACD releases for years is repeated once again.

BTW. . .the Amazon.com sales ranks as of 3:40pm GMT -4 9/28/2008:

CD: 74 (in Music)
SACD: 4724 (in Music)

Brillance. . .on display.
Josh :mad:@:

I'm always a little surprised at the apparent lack of interest in the SACD releases from Heads Up. I have to say that I have never been disappointed with the quality of the work. The mixes are always discrete and the music typically superb.
Agreed.

..................... - essentially slumming in the world of "Smooth Jazz." While they don't particularly break any new ground here,......
Hmmm. Could that be a reason for the lack of interest? :cool:

Kal

Agreed.

Hmmm. Could that be a reason for the lack of interest? :cool:

Kal

That particular comment was aimed directly at Fourplay. The recent Yellowjackets release and both of the Jaco Pastorius Big Band titles are solid contemporary jazz titles. The "smooth jazz" criticism is only there to point out that these players are certainly capable of much better - but Fourplay has been very successful making that kind of music and I'm sure there are those out there that would love to hear them slum in the world of smooth jazz.

I guess its just with the lack of NEW music in surround, one would hope, that at the very least, those on this forum would show greater interest in general.

That particular comment was aimed directly at Fourplay. The recent Yellowjackets release and both of the Jaco Pastorius Big Band titles are solid contemporary jazz titles. The "smooth jazz" criticism is only there to point out that these players are certainly capable of much better - but Fourplay has been very successful making that kind of music and I'm sure there are those out there that would love to hear them slum in the world of smooth jazz.

I guess its just with the lack of NEW music in surround, one would hope, that at the very least, those on this forum would show greater interest in general.

For fans of the smooth jazz genre and Fourplay specifically ( I am not, but can still find enjoyment in it from time to time - including this release), would be best served by this review http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jpfexzlkld0e

I'm glad I checked out this thread...I didn't realize the new Fourplay release was going to be a Hybrid SACD too! Just placed my order at Amazon! For $13.99..can't beat that deal (y)

I've heard the new CD and think it's one of their better releases! Sound quality is outstanding IMO. Can't wait to hear it in surround!

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this one :)
Tim

Sorry for being OT a bit, it just seemed right for me to finally mention Mezzoforte here as I couldn't find it elsewhere on QQ. Their album Forward Motion is out since 2004 as a hybrid MC release and - IMHO - worth every penny. My 2 cents... go check out for yourself!

Just my opinion but I'm kind of dissapointed in the SACD surround mix. I barely heard a sound come from my surround spkrs throughout the entire disc. I thought I might have had my receiver set to stereo mode by accident!
Believe me, I wasn't expecting a wild "Brain Salad Surgery" mix from Fourplay's type of music but geesh, give me something :confused: !
I haven't tried it yet but I'll bet you can get a better sounding surround mix by just playing the stereo CD with your system set at Dolby PLII !
Still, this is a great new release from Fourplay with top notch soundquality on both the standard CD and SACD.
Tim

Just my opinion but I'm kind of dissapointed in the SACD surround mix. I barely heard a sound come from my surround spkrs throughout the entire disc. I thought I might have had my receiver set to stereo mode by accident!
Believe ...I'll bet you can get a better sounding surround mix by just playing the stereo CD with your system set at Dolby PLII !
Still, this is a great new release from Fourplay with top notch soundquality on both the standard CD and SACD.
Tim

It is not a very aggressive mix but the rears are active throughout - whether it is doubling of an instrument (most specifically the guitar), percussion and or keyboard accents. Agreed that the overall fidelity is quite good. DPL may give you more "stuff" out of the rears but it won't match the fidelity of the SACD layer.

Back