Freanch canadian artist Jean-Pierre Ferland with a 5.1 DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhammond

Since 2002/2003
A few days ago, while browsing the bins of a used cd store in Paris, my ears were attracted by some music I had already heard, when in my teens, in french Canada.

I went to see the clerk, who told me it was a box set from the classic 1970 album Jaune, by french canadian singer Jean-Pierre Ferland, with a CD containing the original and new stereo mixes, a cover version of the album, and ... a DVD-A with hi-rez stereo and M/C mix of the album! :eek:

Of course, I immediately bought the only used copy the store had in stock, and I got home to spin this one.

This album is considered the "Sgt Pepper's" of french Canada... and the comparison holds well, IMHO. The music is very varied, going from pop to rock, with many psychedelic and some philarmonic moments.

The presentation of the box is very nice: a yellow box, containing the three discs in cardboard sleeves, 16 cards with photos of the artist, and a lyrics sheet.

The musicianship on this album is also impressive, with guitars by David Spinozza (he played with Paul McCartney (on RAM), Herbie Mann, Don McClean, Paul Simon, and many other artists in the 70's) and bass is by a young Tony Levin, who was 24 at the time.. Drums are by Jim Young.

The mix does present many discreet elements in the back: isolated drum parts, guitar, vocals and strings. It sounds very nice. (y)

A very pleasant discovery (this edition came out in 2005!!). A little gem I wanted to share on this forum. It just took me 4 1/2 years to find out this disc existed... :D

This disc can be found on Amazon.ca here. It can also be found on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk.

A true (and totally unexpected!!) 5.1 gem! :banana:

Of course admist the great details, he couldn't tell us this baby was OOP and expensive, lol ...

My heart almost skipped a beat as I thought the subject read "Jean-Luc Ponty" - oh lawd, how I wish it were true!

Nevertheless, I will keep an eye out for this under the radar set. Thanks for the info Normand!

Dan

Last edited:
What an excellent find! I'm after this one.

EDIT: Temporarily Out Of Stock so added to wish list...

Amazon.com had one copy left yesterday, but I went with a Canadian eBay store eventually, basically because their price would include shipping for me. I've just received shipping notice and the store has relisted the item, so it's available to those daring of you:)

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this little yellow box at HMV while Christmas shopping. I took the only one in stock immediately! :)

Found and purchased a copy at a reasonable price on epay the other day waiting for delivery from Canada will report back in due course

Last edited:
Bought this about ayear and half ago, thanks to this thread.
Was not familiar with the artist before then.

An amazing album. (y)

Sounds great on DVD-A and the remix album with guest artists is good too (I usually hate those type of records).

Charlotte Gainsbourgh covers the song Le Chat du Cafe de Artistes on her IRM album.

I got my copy from Amazon Canada, just under $40 IIRC. They still list it at $39.14 but out of stock.
Archambault also show it on their website but it costs more. Same thing at HMV Canada.

A bit pricey for sure but it's an elaborate package that was worth the $$ IMO.

OK, forgive me for asking a stupid question, but nobody seems to be addressing this. Is it sung in french or english? I'm assuming french.
The Quadfather

French!!!

The last song is in english... but is sung with an horrible french canadian accent!!! :D

It finally arrived i would like to thank the Canadian Post office for the sspeed of service !!!

What a great album and an excellent 5.1 mix plenty of descrete elements and well presented I wish i could read French, still not not a barrier to good music, looking forward to Melodie Nelson now as i seekl to expand my musical horizons. !!!

FYI - Listed as temporarily out of stock on Amazon.ca.

I've got it on order, I'll let people know if I get it shipped.

I love the modified cover on the surround disc with "extra" trees :)

001 (380 x 356).jpg

Back