• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

free Technics 858 8 track player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadtrade

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Free q8 player

If someone wants to pay the shipping, i will send them a player that was a champ in it's day. Free. These players are built like a tank, and have a good drive. But sometimes they struggle with track separation, hence i have put a hole in the top where you can access the adjustment. It has had mods applied, replaced some caps and took the noise suppressor out of the loop as it caused noise! As with all these old 8 track players, you must be willing to tinker a bit to keep them running. Maybe it would go to someone who has had a problem finding a player. These are not the perfect players ( there were never any) but they are worth exploring if interested in Q8 players.

PM me if interested. It weighs about 20 lbs without the packing. Shipping from the west coast. No interest after a few days and i will take it to recycle.

100_8933.jpg

If no one takes it after your time period, I will. I do have one too, so I would be using it for parts or if it in better condition than the one I have, I would use my unit for parts.

I sold them both in my store when they were new. The first Quad piece I bought was a CR80-DSS, which I still have. I had an 858 for a few weeks back in the day. It is a great machine and is great looking. I had an RS-847 Quad player only/same motor for many years. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gBhmAeIRnVk/maxresdefault.jpg My only bitch with the Panasonics is an undersized motor, which, as you know, isn't a problem for the Akai. Still the 858 has pause and lighted meters, neither of which the Akai has.

You will like the 858. Mine has been operating really great. I also have the Akai CR80D and I have a hard time deciding which I like best.

"Still the 858 has pause and lighted meters, neither of which the Akai has."

Oh, but mine will have. Got the parts and figured how to do it. It will have led lighting. I have been figuring up a upgrade to the CR80 for a while. Intend on beefing up the power supply. What about this: During play the meter will be green, during pause they will flash amber/yellow and during record they will be red? Maybe a lot of silly that may not happen, but it is fun.

You're a God among Q8 enthusiasts!!

Probably more of a devil. Within a few weeks I will be posting my "Frankenstein" and "Bride of Frankenstein" CD4 demod mods.
If you don't hear from me for a while, it is sleep time. I work nocturnal.

It couldn't go to a nicer person. I would love to have seen more info on the mods, for those of us with this deck. Mine has the hole in the top and had a rubber plug that has disintegrated. I have had little luck keeping it in tune. I also get issues with tapes stalling out unless I use a matchbook or thin bladed screwdriver under or beside the cartridge to wedge it. I understand there are mods out there too that can make a Victor CD4-10 into a CD4-10S. As I have one of the former, I would consider doing mods if it is worthwhile.

I'm probably too late for this offer, but this is the EXACT unit I've been looking for on EBay. (None available currently), I was looking at the Akai 80dss too but got scared off because of the head issue. However if something falls through with this exchange, I'd gladly pay shipping for it. :)

It couldn't go to a nicer person. I would love to have seen more info on the mods, for those of us with this deck. Mine has the hole in the top and had a rubber plug that has disintegrated. I have had little luck keeping it in tune. I also get issues with tapes stalling out unless I use a matchbook or thin bladed screwdriver under or beside the cartridge to wedge it. I understand there are mods out there too that can make a Victor CD4-10 into a CD4-10S. As I have one of the former, I would consider doing mods if it is worthwhile.

I have mods for the CD4-10, but they are very difficult to read. What I will do not too long from now is post what mods I have and am working on in the various forums. I need to figure out how to attach files thru 3rd parties like postimage.

Back