FREEZING!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup...We are not Europe, we are not England, we are not Australia, we are not Canada or any other country.

We are Americans and hopefully we will stay with the SAE system. Love it or cry a lot.:D

Good for you keeping the English System alive

Yup...We are not Europe, we are not England, we are not Australia, we are not Canada or any other country.

We are Americans and hopefully we will stay with the SAE system. Love it or cry a lot.:D

As an American I would much prefer going metric. We have plenty of things that distinguish us from the rest of the world that are worthy of pride and uniquely our own. We inherited that measurement system from our former colonial masters anyways, it’s not like it’s something we invented.

We can lay claim to starting Jazz, Blues, Rock n Roll, our own sports, our own food, our own accents and traditions. These are the things I’d rather preserve.

In 1959 I started an apprenticeship in a European automotive shop. I had to buy tool sets in Whitworth, Metric and SAE. Being 19 at the time having to acquire all those tools set me back quite a bit. I repaired and overhauled vehicles from all over Europe. German, Swedish, French, Italian and English.

I even restored several MG's. TC, TD, TF and A.

I hated setting valves on Jaguar XKE.s

I now only have SAE and metric in my tool sets only because there are still some metric nuts and bolts in American vehicles. left overs I'm sure.

In model railroading, I use a combination of systems, English and Metric and one or the other is handier for different situations but... the Celsius temperature scale is way too coarse for meaningful and simple understanding. Each degree C. is what, 1.8 degrees F.?

No thanks. I am not about to be saying, "It's 26.3 degrees out today.

Doug

Last edited:
That kid probably became currency trader and made a small fortune.

Funny thing for me visiting UK is its still miles on sign posts and miles per hour on speedos. Yet engineering is in metric. Some imperial weights when shopping, some kilos. Pints at the pub of course!

went up to Canada in 1984 sent the wife in the bank to change money she went in with 100 US came out with 120 CA , hmm, we got to stay an extra 4 days because of that!

In model railroading, I use a combination of systems, English and Metric and one or the other is handier for different situations but... the Celsius temperature scale is way too course for meaningful and simple understanding. Each degree C. is what, 1.8 degrees F.?

No thanks. I am not about to be saying, "It's 26.3 degrees out today.

Doug
Speaking of trains, railroads use miles instead of kilometers throughout north america, including Canada and Mexico.

The other day on the nightly news I saw a kool video of a bunch of bald eagles riding on the ice floes going down the Mississippi. Looking for food no doubt. Smart birds those bald eagles are.

Also the Cumbres and Toltec RR which I will be visiting again in late May on opening day.

As seen in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Portions of Antonito, Colorado also appear in the film.

We rode to the halfway point lodge and then back in our 2008 train stops. This might be the year we go the whole way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other day on the nightly news I saw a kool video of a bunch of bald eagles riding on the ice floes going down the Mississippi. Looking for food no doubt. Smart birds those bald eagles are.

We rode a train in WV that went along the western portion of the Potomac. Eagles had nests high on the cliffs and we did see some several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a few exceptions such as the Durango & Silverton Narrow Guage.

We did that one a few years back. They have a couple special "fall colors" trips that get booked up really quickly....photographers delight. They stopped the train several times along the trip, letting all the photogs out (and anyone else that wanted) then they back the train up so you can get great pics of the train coming towards you blowing off steam with the trees in fall color glory.

After the day of riding the rails, an evening hitting the brewpubs in Durango makes for a great little getaway.

P1000066xsm.jpg

Back