Fun with "Living Stereo" SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I recently bought my first "Living Stereo" 3-channel SACD - Copeland's "Billy The Kid Suite" (and others). It really does sound as good as everyone says these "LS" discs do, and it's hard to imagine what some of the sharp transients would have sounded like on vinyl through a late 1950's hi-fi system.

Anyway, a thought occured to me today. What if I fed the center channel signal of this SACD into my rear speakers? I'm not going to tell you that doing this sounded better than the normal set up, but damn if it didn't create an interesting surround sound effect! It was essentially strings and woodwinds in the fronts, and brass and precussion in the rears - not unlike a 1970s quad mix.

J. D.

I recently bought my first "Living Stereo" 3-channel SACD - Copeland's "Billy The Kid Suite" (and others). It really does sound as good as everyone says these "LS" discs do, and it's hard to imagine what some of the sharp transients would have sounded like on vinyl through a late 1950's hi-fi system.

Anyway, a thought occured to me today. What if I fed the center channel signal of this SACD into my rear speakers? I'm not going to tell you that doing this sounded better than the normal set up, but damn if it didn't create an interesting surround sound effect! It was essentially strings and woodwinds in the fronts, and brass and precussion in the rears - not unlike a 1970s quad mix.

J. D.

Hmm. You could record the 3 channels at 24/96, then duplicate the center, thus creating two rear channels, then make a 4.0 DVD-A!

Not sure if it would be worth it, but it's doable. These are hard times for surround releases! :mad:@:

well, I have a friend who has shared a few of these and they sound very good but I have a few of them on LP and , especially the SPAIN one
https://www.discogs.com/release/3933422-Reiner-Chicago-Symphony-Spainwhich, I prefer the LP version cause tapes were fresh back then, and I am selling my Spain one for silly money cause it's worth it and it's STONE MINT which is rare for a 60 year old slab!

Back