Gabriel SACD & Reissues post on PG forums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Hello,

The history of this release is incomplete! The FIRST issue of Plays Live was in late 1983 early 1984 as a single Highlights CD (imported to US on Virgin) and sold worldwide. Old enough to remember how scarce good CDs were and reluctance by the lables to sell double disc titles. This was rectified by US Geffen in 1986 or 1987 with the 2 CD (separate cases then) version. So the Highlights is an old (and feeble) marketing idea.

For me, I cannot buy the PG re-issues until they are at least hybrid (in US) but more importantly 5.1 surround. I could forego hybrid if I can have that, but needed for portability as there is no SACD discman or car head unit to date. (hate industry footdrag)

As for those who lament the cost of good surround, it has to be about the speakers. I say that because the receivers (amps) and universal players are CHEAP these days. For roughly $150-$200 US each, you can get it happening. But DON'T cut corners on speakers! That would be $750 US & up to avoid the cheezy factor.

Good wishes to PG & Genesis fans worldwide! Tim in TN

Back