Gavin Harrison & 05Ric - The Man Who Sold Himself (CD & 5.1 DVD-V)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... EDIT.
Another huge issue that gets terribly awkward sometimes is setting the layer break.
We're currently doing 2 concert titles that will also have the surround mix in Audio_TS as well as LPCM stereo & DTS with the film.
The problem here is that the Video_TS is the larger of the 2, so layer break needs to be set in Sonic DAC. ...
I'm just curious how DiscWelder can handle such a disc (not menu but layer break-wise).

Another issue is that there seem to be a lot of people who think DVD-Audio is a DVD with Audio on it as opposed to a film.
This is true. And I even start to understand them. Without a DVD-A player that's the part you'll see, even on most real DVD-A's.

This is true. And I even start to understand them. Without a DVD-A player that's the part you'll see, even on most real DVD-A's.

I can see your point, sadly, but have to ask what these same folks think a Hybrid SACD is, because if you do not have an SACD player all you get is the RedBook.
They still get called SACD though, and I have not yet seen one simply described as an ordinary CD - however it would not surprise me if this were indeed the case, especially on Amazon!

I'm just curious how DiscWelder can handle such a disc (not menu but layer break-wise).

It's been so long since I used Chrome I have absolutely no idea. Badly, I suspect, the same as Sonic DAC.
I just had this on a disc we just completed, and had to work it in the seriously cack-handed way described above.

I can see your point, sadly, but have to ask what these same folks think a Hybrid SACD is, because if you do not have an SACD player all you get is the RedBook.
They still get called SACD though, and I have not yet seen one simply described as an ordinary CD - however it would not surprise me if this were indeed the case, especially on Amazon!
I have fallen foul of a smiliar scenario with the Depeche Mode collector's edition discs. They are advertised as CD+DVD and didn't think I had the SACD until I saw the tiny logo on the back of the case. There is no indication on the disc itself that it is a SACD too.

It's been so long since I used Chrome I have absolutely no idea. Badly, I suspect, the same as Sonic DAC.
I just had this on a disc we just completed, and had to work it in the seriously cack-handed way described above.
Out of curiousity, if I have enough time I'll check DW out from this point of view. Anyway, hats off to you and to the artists (King Crimson?) and to the label who took the tougher route to indulge (surround) fans.

I checked and found that DW Chrome 2.0.25 can automatically set the layer break in Video_ts if it is larger than 4.2 GB.

(Mods, as I continue the off-topic part of this thread so you may want to move the posts here about DVDA authoring to eg. DVD-A Creation Workshop)

That's a start! I wonder where it puts it though - do you get a choice of possible (legal) locations?
I think so but not absolutely sure. Here is a print screen:

LB.jpg

That's a definite "yes" then.
All you really need is the legal range, and it's then a case of finding (ideally) a VTS start sector to slap it onto.
I honestly think that a BUP is probably not the best location (should be okay in most cases) and I would personally put it at the start of the next IFO or VOB in the range.
Why? because a BUP is a backup of an IFO, and the next item will be (okay, should be :)) a proper IFO.
That's what I would do anyway - but I am excessively paranoid about these things in all likelihood.

I have fallen foul of a smiliar scenario with the Depeche Mode collector's edition discs. They are advertised as CD+DVD and didn't think I had the SACD until I saw the tiny logo on the back of the case. There is no indication on the disc itself that it is a SACD too.

There is, the logo on the disk is there but you have to look really really really hard to see it.

But there are both SACD and non SACD sets as well.

Last edited:
There is, the logo on the disk is there but you have to look really really really hard to see it.

OK thanks, I'll look a bit harder on the disc. I definitely have the SACD though as confirmed by my Denon player and multichannel output.

Easiest way to tell is to check the box.
The SACD/DVD sets are European versions, with Video in PAL.
The CD/DVD editions are all Rhino, and have 4 logos on the spine of the package arranged vertically.

Easiest way to tell is to check the box.
The SACD/DVD sets are European versions, with Video in PAL.
The CD/DVD editions are all Rhino, and have 4 logos on the spine of the package arranged vertically.

FYI - There are non Rhino releases (European I think) that are a PAL release without the SACD also (no slipcase)..... I have all three types from the "collectors edition" with 5.1, so you can find:

SACD/DVD sets (with slipcase) European versions, with Video in PAL.
CD/DVD US release editions Rhino, with video in NTSC, and have 4 logos on the spine of the package arranged vertically.
CD/DVD sets (without slipcase) with video in PAL - otherwise they look quite similar to the SACD/DVD versions.

Back