Genesis boxset 1983-1998 1st impressions...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARKSTAR

Hello all. Just thought i'd share some first impressions regarding the 1983-1998 SACD boxset from Genesis. As many of you know the set comes in a red box and due to having one less album than the 1976-1982 boxset, also measures in a little less wide than the previous set.

I am a big fan of the music that is presented here as opposed to many people that might not like what Genesis did in the last four albums. Again I think some people might find this a bit of a mixed bag. I personally don't have a problem with a lot of the compression used with these discs. They are not the best sounding SACD's I own but I found them listenable and some of the surround mixes will make the albums worth revisiting again.

My favourite album so far is 'We Can't Dance'. Seems to have slightly clearer seperation and cleaner vocals than some of the mixes in the albums 'Genesis' and 'Invisable Touch'. Having only picked up the boxset today, I haven't got round to listening to 'Calling All Stations' and the bonus disc yet but will listen to the albums in full by the end of the week.

So far though I have had a blast listening to 'Jesus he knows me', 'Home by the Sea', 'No son of mine', and 'Land of Confusion'. The tunes have a good degree of punch to them and the surround mixes really help to open up some of these songs.

So far I am really happy with the purchase, and if you didn't have a problem with the 1st boxset, I would say you can order this with confidence. :)

Thanks for the early review. I have the first box. I found them overly compressed and maximized from a volume level perspective. Is this set treated a similar way?

I have to believe that the same mix concept was adherred to as much as possible throughout, based on Nick Davis website comments. I'm on the fence regarding the sound; they're not as warm as they could/should be but having the surround mixes is worth so much to me.

Never owned Invisible Touch or Calling All Stations so these will be new to me. It occured to me recently how many good songs are on Genesis (1983) that I'd not listened to for a while. Really looking forward to On The Shoreline (b-side) on the bonus disc.

Fingers crossed for 5 man reunion next year around the third box. I can dream!

Last edited:
I heard stereo samples. I think you all know my feelings about these. If you like them knock yourselves out. They won't get a cent from me.

Hi Guy.

Unfortunately the new Genesis boxset does have similar compression and volume levels to the previous set. It doesn't seem to distract as much with the music found on this set though for me personally, but it still could be better. I find the best sounding album to be 'We can't Dance'. A little better sounding than 'Invisible Touch', a little warmer and better separation in the mixes.

Some might find one album better sounding than the next, but if the 1st boxset didn't appeal too much to you then I think the same will apply to this one.

I'm just really happy to have Genesis in surround sound SACD, in boxsets that have obviously had a lot of of work and effort gone into them. It's just a pity they never turned out to be the definitive versions of each album that everybody hoped they would be.

Got my box as well yesterday, and so far I have been able to listen to the three first tracks of Genesis (self-titled) only.

Mama is AWESOME in surround. I won't spoil how they used the rears, but it's terrific. Hats off.

In comparison, That's All and Home By The Sea sound pale in surround. The use of the rears is subtle. It's very well-done, but subtle. Fans of aggressive mixes will be disappointed. I think it works well that way, but I admit that it could be a bit more immersive.

The sound is crystal-clear, just like the previous SACD's so there shouldn't be any change in your opinions (sound wise).

In Germany the Genesis Box 83-98 was released on the 28.9.. I preordered it and bought my box at that time.

I listen to it carefully and still have a lot of fun enjoying the Genesis Pop era.

While first listening to it the album "Genesis" I was again a bit disappointed with the compressed sound. But going on with listing to the rest I got used to the slightly powerless sound. Maybe the sound is not powerless and compressed - it is like the first Box too bright.

One advise from me when you have the feeling some tracks sound compressed turn down the treble to -4 db on all channels. It sounds much better and not compressed.

Nevertheless "We can dance" sounds better - great pop album - a straight 10! (y)(y)

The bonus disc is enjoyable as well - like it a lot - good sound as well. I therefore recommend to buy the box!

"Calling all stations" is a nice album as well. Did not very like it when I listen to it the first time. But then starting to like it - it sounds a bit Allan Parsons like. The Box - booklet words should be taken serious: All it needed was a chance ... well now you give it one! True - give it a change and you`ll like it: 9-10!

Concering the surround mix, it is well done. If this box would sound a bit warmer - it would be a 10+. The way it is. I grate this 10 over all!

I wish everybody fun, while listening to these colourful pop albums!

Timm - Now living in Flensburg Germany

Last edited:
Having now given a good listen to the box, IMHO We Can't Dance is the winner.

I'm in awe of this SACD which I rate to be on the absolute top I've listened to.

Mix is inventive and immersive, and sound fidelity is jaw-dropping.

Btw, on the bonus DVD-V of We Can't Dance, there is a very interesting document on the recording of the album. Very rare footage of Mike, Tony and Phil demoing the new songs. Lots of shots of mastermind Nick Davies producing and mixing... wow !

Ordered mine from Acoustic Sounds - lists it as "backordered." Music
Direct tells you to contact them directly for delivery info, while Elusive Disc says they are in stock.

Back