George Harrison on SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deepsky4565 said:
See this site:
http://www.euphoricsounds.com/store/erol.html
Looks like a compilation disc, and George Harrison Live In Japan are coming to SACD! No word there whether they will be MC though. :rolleyes:

Also mastered by Simon Heyworth, (with the exception of the Live which has gone to James Guthrie and seems likely to be 5.1, possibly faux?), these are presently stereo DSD remasters, originally for CD, but apparently now planned for SACD release as well, certainly in Japan at least.

"The Dark Horse years" appears to mean the five Dark Horse label studio albums - I think Simon has done 33 and a third, George Harrison, Somewhere in England, Gone Troppo, and Cloud Nine.

Would be great to see All Things Must Pass - not sure what the score is with that one, bound to be MC'ed one day soon...

Patrick Cleasby said:
Would be great to see All Things Must Pass - not sure what the score is with that one, bound to be MC'ed one day soon...
Just a comment about All Things Must Pass. Though not a big G H fan, I hold that album in high regard for several reasons. Back in 1971, all I had was a basic Dynaco set up. Yes, it added space to a lot of recordings, but in general most were a yawn. Except for ATMP. This was the album I played for friends to show off what quad surround could do. And this was the album that made me a lifelong surround convert. As I progressed to EV, basic SQ and all flavors of RM, this album still held its own even vs. encoded material. I always wondered if this was a secret QS recording, but I concluded it was all a happy accident of early 32 track recording & mixing.
I don't have that album anymore and never got around to picking up an early CD copy. I hold off buying the re-release from a couple of years back because I heard it was remixed. I fear the "magic" may be gone.
:(
I would love to hear the original mix again via my restored QSD-2.

ATMP was NOT remixed. It's current release is a remastered version of the original mix.

It does sound as if the Harrison live in Japan WILL be surround 5.1. It doesn't sound good for the others though. We'll see on February 24.

Back